Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Miss MJ on zone entries but for the most part Kuzy has taken that role to another level and does it better than anyone not named McDavid. My issue with the trade is that I thought he was worth more than we got for him and it seemed like just another part of screwing up last offseason (aka losing Schmidt).

Reactions: discobob

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is that the same “brah” (come on....we aren’t 80’s Spicoli)?

Schmidt was someone we could’ve kept far more readily than MJ. 5m wasn’t tenable. Schmidt and his 2.whatever was. MJ was gone no matter what, unless we dumped another 5m player.

Again, the issue isn't being able to keep but missing them.,i give. I am off this

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
MJ was overpaid. I don't know if he was worth much more. If it was 3,5M instead of 4,5 maybe I'd prefer him to Bura right now. Maybe. But Stephenson for food could be even better. At least Caps have picks.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Panarin level guy is what our top-6 needs instead of Ovi (in ES). Maybe Kuzy can convince him to sign here but they have to unload Oshie first. Oh, this conversation is endless.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Panarin level guy is what our top-6 needs instead of Ovi (in ES). Maybe Kuzy can convince him to sign here but they have to unload Oshie first. Oh, this conversation is endless.
Trade Backstrom for panarin, sign kovy, trade Oshie for radulov, sign Datsyuk

Ovi Kuz Panarin
Kovy Dats Radulov

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
If we are to believe that we went hard after Karlsson at the deadline, then wouldn't it make sense that GMBM will have another crack at him at the draft ? And then of course, let Carlson walk for nothing. Maybe we can pick up a 4th for Carlson's rights. Erik will cost significant assets to obtain.

John is gonna get paid around $7-8m, Erik will cost around $10m to resign. John is 1 year older surprisingly. Both will want max term deals.

What is the package going to Ottawa ? Depending on the answer there, John would need to take a home town discount for me to choose that direction. $50m for 8 and not much more.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't know if he deserved to win, but the fact Carlson didn't even get top 3 is pretty ridiculous.

Voters got it right. Neither Carlson, Burns or Klinberg are very good at their actual job, defending, and at least Burns and Klingberg drive possession.

What is the package going to Ottawa ? Depending on the answer there, John would need to take a home town discount for me to choose that direction. $50m for 8 and not much more.

And there is ZERO chance he plays for that money, even on a max deal, and he shouldn't. He should get the maximum he can as this is his set up he and his family for life deal. Personally I think he ends up in Jersey.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carlson can easily ask for 7,5M x 8. Would be nice to sign him for 7M x 8 but why would he leave 4M on the table?

0,5M is significant but not that much with a 80+ cap.

It's like 0,6% of the cap, right? I dont care then.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I don't know if he deserved to win, but the fact Carlson didn't even get top 3 is pretty ridiculous.

I didn't think he would get in the top 3. A lot if good dmen this year. And the top 3 have the reputation. Hedman and Doughty are great 2way defence men. Subban is good but he is a bit if a flake. Makes alot of bonehead plays. Seth Jones, Jossi and Pietrangelo also had good seasons. And offensively Burns and Klingberg were solid

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
After watching this series I guess the forward group won't be changed much in offseason.

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson(+$)
Vrana - Nicky - Oshie
Bura(?) - Eller - Connolly
Stephenson - Beagle(-$) - DSP
Gersich, Boyd

DSP proved he's good soldier. Stephenson too. Beagle in playoffs surely is effective one too and I guess he would make a little discount (he's not young anymore).

Connolly is rather cheap for the 3rd scoring line, he's average but doing clutch things from time to time. Bura showed some potential and there's little chance some team will pay much for him so why trade him yet?

And with that said why would the team sign Chiasson again? He's 13th forward. No need to I think.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
After watching this series I guess the forward group won't be changed much in offseason.

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson(+$)
Vrana - Nicky - Oshie
Gersich, Boyd

DSP proved he's good soldier. Stephenson too. Beagle in playoffs surely is effective one too and I guess he would make a little discount (he's not young anymore).

Connolly is rather cheap for the 3rd scoring line, he's average but doing clutch things from time to time. Bura showed some potential and there's little chance some team will pay much for him so why trade him yet?

And with that said why would the team sign Chiasson again? He's 13th forward. No need to I think.
I think Vrana is our 13th forward. That could change in the off season though.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think Vrana is our 13th forward. That could change in the off season though.
I will never understand the anti-Vrana crowd. Is it because Trotz doesn't like him much? I don't see any way he's not a big part of our immediate future. He's a threat to create something on every shift, has a quick shot, and his decision making is no worse than that of half the team. His stats are pretty impressive considering his minuscule ice time.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I know he plays 7 mins a game and has at least 1 quality scoring chance a game created by him..I repeat created by him..we have some forwards who create 1 quality scoring chance in 20 games and are faceoff gurus who stunk at faceoffs tonight

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson(+$)
Vrana - Nicky - Oshie
Gersich, Boyd

Connolly was benched in the playoffs last year and has been a non-factor (at best) this year. No idea how he and Burakovsky get the leash they do after repeatedly making terrible choices in the offensive zone. Oh, right.

Fire him into the sun and give is spot to Gersich or Stephenson.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I know he plays 7 mins a game and has at least 1 quality scoring chance a game created by him..I repeat created by him..we have some forwards who create 1 quality scoring chance in 20 games and are faceoff gurus who stunk at faceoffs tonight

..and he's the fastest skater on the team. And I've seen him make less mistakes than Ovechkin, Eller, Oshie, etc.

I used to give Barry the benefit of the doubt for the lack of talent he had in Nashville, but he f***ing blows at developing young forwards.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Connolly was benched in the playoffs last year and has been a non-factor (at best) this year. No idea how he and Burakovsky get the leash they do after repeatedly making terrible choices in the offensive zone. Oh, right.

Fire him into the sun and give is spot to Gersich or Stephenson.
I give Connolly credit for having a shoot-first mentality which many on this team sorely lack. Without that, they don’t win game 3. But yeah, he’s not making a big contribution.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson(+$)
Vrana - Nicky - Oshie
Gersich, Boyd

I see lots of opportunity for change in the bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->