GDT: Caps @ Hawks 11/7/14 8:30 PM EST

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Brouwer and Chimera have been terrible. Brouwer can't seem to score unless it's a wide open one timer from the slot on the PP. Stone hands is back in full effect. It'll never happen, but I would try:

8-19-43
90-65-16
21-92-42
87-46-83

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Brouwer has 4 goals. 1ppg. I how much more are you expecting? he's 4th on the team? Fehr has 1 goal. Fehr was getting his share of open looks. You tag Brouwer because he only scores when he gets an open look and then scratch him for Fehr?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Brouwer has 4 goals. 1ppg. I how much more are you expecting? he's 4th on the team? Fehr has 1 goal. Fehr was getting his share of open looks. You tag Brouwer because he only scores when he gets an open look and then scratch him for Fehr?

Brouwer is an anchor. Nearly every player on the team is a better possession player when not on the ice with an him. Same with Chimmer so far.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Hartnell is 4th on his team and you found a way to poo-poo that. Why is 4th in goals good for Brouwer and bad for Hartnell?

Maybe I'm just looking for it but I see alot of instances where touching the puck before giving it up is about as far as it goes for Brouwer and about 3 or 4 other guys who are expected to put up goals and make some plays. Either the top 2 lines have to really get on the scoring horse to justify that or something has to change in personnel or habits. Joel Ward is not going to lead this team to the promised land.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Brouwer is 90% worthless at even strength and yet he hasn't budged from that 2RW spot in years. :shakehead

I honestly wouldn't mind a 2nd line of 21-65-92. Mojo is playing well though, so it would never happen.
Why would you want to put Laich at 2LW over mojo anyway?

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Just finished up the game on dvr with some coffee. Lot of good, lot of not so good, but getting 2 points in Chicago is huge.

I'm still all in with Holtby. It's just going to take time, especially after Oates and some poor Dman play got in his head. Kid looks like Ron Hextall to me. I'll take that.

Wilson was good but not a great game for the 1st line. They did play a lot of minutes though. Let them keep working together.

Mojo and Bura sure look good. Great to see. I'd put Kuz with them and see what happens. Troy is Troy... but I'd make that an all skill line for a while. There is a chance of them getting dominated physically but this isn't the NHL of old.

BL is the one guy I get down on and that's about his health and contract. It's not personal. SSS... but they have been better with him this year so let's just hope that continues and he finds a way to contribute on offense occasionally.

4th line? Lot of options there so whatever Barry wants. I'm a Latta fan so as long as he's playing I don't really care about which of the other ~6 options are in.

D is better though less than what I had hoped for so far. I think they will improve and there are good players on the way. That was the focus this off season and I hope the Forwards are the focus next. Let most/all of the pending FAs go, maybe bring Ward back, and try to add a legit scorer.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In short, yes. Kuznetsov and Brouwer while both RW's don't play the same position. Trotz wants a Brouwer on a wing with two less physical and smaller forwards. He doesn't want three similar players. If you demand Kuz on the top two lines then get on the trade Johansson band wagon.

As for Wilson, its not up in the air at all. It happens every game now. He had a great deflection with his net presence and a good save stopped that. He removed a player trying to attack Ovechkin over a hit. He's 19 year old. They he got moved down in favor of Beagle to play defense in the 3rd. that's all that is really waiting on. Him gaining enough experience. Make no mistake. He is on the first line for the long term.

Yes....He is more skilled than Wilson. So was Semin than Knuble and nobody would agree that Semin was better on the first line than Knuble.

It's awesome how you state everything as fact. Pretty much the surest sign of ignorance there is. All the way back to "make no mistake, McPhee will never trade Clark the captain".

I'd wager you're more certain of Trotz's lineup vision than the man himself. :biglaugh:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Chimera had a good game.

I agree with much of what you say above, but not the Chimera part. I only saw the first half of the game, had to listen to rest on radio. During the first half of the game, Chimera was NOT good. He was noticeably bad. He was failing to seal off the boards, he was failing to get pucks deep, he didn't recognize he had been joined on the rush for a 3-on-2 and so he tried to chip the puck in and failed at that. Through 30 minutes, he looked like absolute junk.

Maybe he improved as game went on, I don't know. So far this season, he hasn't been good. But Trotz knows what he is capable of, I guess, and is giving him time to work it out.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The only really good thing I saw Chimmer do all game was that backhand stuff attempt. That looked like it almost went from the angle I saw.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hartnell is 4th on his team and you found a way to poo-poo that. Why is 4th in goals good for Brouwer and bad for Hartnell?

Maybe I'm just looking for it but I see alot of instances where touching the puck before giving it up is about as far as it goes for Brouwer and about 3 or 4 other guys who are expected to put up goals and make some plays. Either the top 2 lines have to really get on the scoring horse to justify that or something has to change in personnel or habits. Joel Ward is not going to lead this team to the promised land.

actually, I poopoo'd hartnell for his 1 goal. a ppg. zero goals at es. I think he got two last night though. when I commented on hartnell he had 1g 9a. from the looks of it people were scoring his rebounds.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only really good thing I saw Chimmer do all game was that backhand stuff attempt. That looked like it almost went from the angle I saw.

there were repeated shifts after the bura goal where that line dominated possession. mostly with the cycle. chimera did his part. it wasn't spectacular but neither were the other two. workman like.

this i will say. chimera has had two seasons with the caps were has has scored nothing...1 goal maybe....then had a good playoffs and a big season the next year. he may be in another of those ruts on goal scoring. his basic play was solid last night though

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's awesome how you state everything as fact. Pretty much the surest sign of ignorance there is. All the way back to "make no mistake, McPhee will never trade Clark the captain".

I'd wager you're more certain of Trotz's lineup vision than the man himself. :biglaugh:

i am sure its a function of how i write. call me ignorant if you want to. the clark thing is either misquoted or misremembered. i was always saying there that injured he would not be able to trade his contract. he did. i was amazed, but lets be honest, that was a terrible deal for Columbus. Clark was done and on a bad contract. You weren't surprised McPhee got Chimera for a player that couldn't skate anymore?

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ward has been great. I thought that contract was ugly when signed but it has turned into a huge bargain.

Great game out of Holtby. He needed it.

Win today and get something going.

Hoping 92 gets back in tonight. Fresh legs will be needed.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Up by two, with Ovy and company scoring vs Arizona and Calgary at home and they lose.

Down by two, with Ward and companying scoring vs Chicago on the road...and they win?

Things that make you go mmmmm.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
This board just gets very set in their ways, MoJo could have an 80pt season and people would want to trade him because his value is at an all time high. Same goes with Brouwer, it has been decided that he's a waste of a roster spot and thusly despite any statistical evidence to the contrary he will be spoken as such.

On the flip side Fehr is a do no wrong type guy, you'll be hard pressed to find an unfavorable opinion of him here.

Hockey is a fluid game, you go with the hot hands. Can't get set in any ways.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ward has been great. I thought that contract was ugly when signed but it has turned into a huge bargain.

Great game out of Holtby. He needed it.

Win today and get something going.

Hoping 92 gets back in tonight. Fresh legs will be needed.

Ward's been great (for a player of his caliber) for a little over a year of that contract if you look at it honestly. At least he's playing well towards the latter half I guess.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ward's been great (for a player of his caliber) for a little over a year of that contract if you look at it honestly. At least he's playing well towards the latter half I guess.

Well his first year he didn't have a great regular season but scored the winning goal against Boston in Game 7 so he made up for it.

Second year was the strike year.........last two have been great.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
First year he absolutely stunk. 2nd was a strike, last year was great, this year good so far. So, great for a little over a year like I said. ;)

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
This board just gets very set in their ways, MoJo could have an 80pt season and people would want to trade him because his value is at an all time high. Same goes with Brouwer, it has been decided that he's a waste of a roster spot and thusly despite any statistical evidence to the contrary he will be spoken as such.

On the flip side Fehr is a do no wrong type guy, you'll be hard pressed to find an unfavorable opinion of him here.

I must have missed the statistical evidence in Brouwers favor. You're hard pressed to find people down on Fehr because he's an excellent complementary depth player on a fantastic contract and he's performed well in just about every role the team has asked him to play, including center.

Brouwer is an okay triggerman who is being shoehorned into the top 6 and he can't do much with the puck on his stick in 5 on 5 situations. I think he would be better suited as a third liner with PP time. Brouwer also has a much larger cap hit than Fehr and rightfully draws more criticism for his shortcomings as a result.

Burakovsky95*

We are the same people that went through watching Semin walk and Green never return to 70 point form. It's not exactly the worst idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad