GDT: Caps @ Hawks 11/7/14 8:30 PM EST

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's the question, isn't it? Can Korn fix in a few months what Oates broke over the course of 2 years?

Other than the late break on the telegraphed pass on the 2 on 1 goal, I generally liked what I saw from Holtby tonight. He was quick and deliberate in most of his moves and took no chances with loose or flying pucks around the crease. He acted like a confident, determined goaltender hell-bent on protecting he **** out of his net, no matter what.

If he can just get back to being that guy and add some further guidance from Korn, he could be even better than before. If he just keeps slipping into bad habits and succumbs to pressure instead of rising up to face it he may never get the confidence needed to be a solid everyday #1.

40 shots and travel, I'd still be alright with them rolling Holtby out again tomorrow night. its probably not a good idea, but another win for him would be a big step in the right direction.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
he is a young goaltender. young players are inconsistent. young goaltenders are notorious for that. carey price among them. you have to work your way thru it. I don't recall a lot of support for keeping neuvirth there to have a 1a 1b situation continue. if you have a 1 and a 2 program going the 2 is never going to be as good as your one except in short spurts. the caps have holtby unless you want to threaten him with grubauer. which means giving grubauer enough playing time to allow him to develop.

Call it what you want. He has to play better and be consistent if the Caps are to make the playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
40 shots and travel, I'd still be alright with them rolling Holtby out again tomorrow night. its probably not a good idea, but another win for him would be a big step in the right direction.

I'm with you....let him play.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
1st period looked like Oates. 2nd period looked like Trotz. 3rd period looked like Hunter.

Ahaha, well said.

At this point, have to take a win anyway you can get it. Let's see if the Caps can start doing something more constructive after getting this monkey off their back.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
You want them to give up actually developing another skilled center after a dozen games?

I don't understand why we need to develop them both there? "You can never have enough good C's" is a frequent answer to that but when you have nothing to play the wing with them it's kind of pointless. I think they need to make a call on which of the two they want to develop into the #2 C and stick with it. The other back to the wing. Logically Burakovsky has proven the quicker transition of the two and it just so happens we have a huge hole for a scoring line RW (KUznetsov's natural position). I don't see why there's even a conversation about it.

In 2 years Kuznetsov nor Burakovsky are going to be centering a third line. Backstrom isn't going anywhere for awhile. What's the point?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am not sure the caps would agree with you. they have Wilson, Ward and Brouwer right now and they are happy with all of them. With Backstrom and Ovechkin they clearly seem to want the kind of game Wilson brings. Same with the 2nd line with Johansson on one wing, they want the more physical and bigger player in Brouwer.
The only way to get Kuznetsov on one of those wings is to move Johansson and give that spot to Kuz. the problem with that move is that it puts two rookies on the same line. and Johansson and Burakovsky have some good chem going on.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I am not sure the caps would agree with you. they have Wilson, Ward and Brouwer right now and they are happy with all of them. With Backstrom and Ovechkin they clearly seem to want the kind of game Wilson brings. Same with the 2nd line with Johansson on one wing, they want the more physical and bigger player in Brouwer.
The only way to get Kuznetsov on one of those wings is to move Johansson and give that spot to Kuz. the problem with that move is that it puts two rookies on the same line. and Johansson and Burakovsky have some good chem going on.

there is still chimera who has been terrible this year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't understand why we need to develop them both there? "You can never have enough good C's" is a frequent answer to that but when you have nothing to play the wing with them it's kind of pointless. I think they need to make a call on which of the two they want to develop into the #2 C and stick with it. The other back to the wing. Logically Burakovsky has proven the quicker transition of the two and it just so happens we have a huge hole for a scoring line RW (KUznetsov's natural position). I don't see why there's even a conversation about it.

In 2 years Kuznetsov nor Burakovsky are going to be centering a third line. Backstrom isn't going anywhere for awhile. What's the point?

What have the Caps lacked for the last two decades that's been one of the two major detriments to them advancing in the playoffs? Center depth.

And now you want them to stop trying to develop as much center depth?

At this point in the season, you don't know who's going to project better at the position. It's way too early to tell. And let's say you move Kuz back to wing right now, and post-deadline, Backstrom gets hurt. Would you rather plug Kuz in there (or 2C) with 12 games of experience at the position, or move up Kuz with 60 games at the position?

Wingers are also much, much easier and cheaper to attain.

Other than possibly gaining a few extra standings points now, I don't see any positives to ending the center experiment. In both the medium and long term, it's better to stick with it.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

So you develop an elite offensive talent as a third line center instead of moving a guy like Brouwer out? That's not very good asset management in my opinion. Ward & Fehr are UFA after this season, Brouwer the season after.

I love Tom Wilson but it's really up in the air if he'll ever be a scoring line winger. I know power forwards take a bit longer to develop so I'm giving him time but I'm still skeptical if he has the hands or not. I'm also not saying Kuznetsov has looked like the Malkin comparisons quite yet but he's proven to be a far superior offensive player to this point in much less North American seasoning than 43.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What have the Caps lacked for the last two decades that's been one of the two major detriments to them advancing in the playoffs? Center depth.

At this point in the season, you don't know who's going to project better at the position. It's way too early to tell. And let's say you move Kuz back to wing right now, and post-deadline, Backstrom gets hurt. Would you rather plug Kuz in there (or 2C) with 12 games of experience at the position, or move up Kuz with 60 games at the position?

Other than possibly gaining a few extra standings points now, I don't see any positives to ending the center experiment. In both the medium and long term, it's better to stick with it.

So say you spend the entire year developing the two of them at center. Next year rolls around and you play a 65 or a 92 on the third line? Is your plan to develop them both there but have one play the wing until an injury occurs so they can fill in?

Also those "few extra standings points" we could gain by having a goal scorer opposite Ovechkin could put us in the playoffs. If you recall we missed it by three(a few) last year.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I know it's very early, but 65 has shown so much promise at C, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the team moved 92 to RW at this point and ditched the C experiment for him. I think the bigger problem for Kuzya is that the organizational brain trust has Willy, Ward and Brouwer ahead of him on the depth chart at RW right now.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I know it's very early, but 65 has shown so much promise at C, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the team moved 92 to RW at this point and ditched the C experiment for him. I think the bigger problem for Kuzya is that the organizational brain trust has Willy, Ward and Brouwer ahead of him on the depth chart at RW right now.

Brouwer is 90% worthless at even strength and yet he hasn't budged from that 2RW spot in years. :shakehead

I honestly wouldn't mind a 2nd line of 21-65-92. Mojo is playing well though, so it would never happen.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

I've had some doubts lately, but I agree with this overall. If Kuz develops as a center, it's almost a can't-lose proposition.

First of all, he can always be moved to wing down the line. So like NBTW said, in this case all you lose until then is possibly some points (and if that's a concern, then the Caps are a team that should be more concerned about long term development, lol).

Everything else is pretty much a benefit. If the Caps had an established long term 3C, maybe it wouldn't matter, but they don't. Laich is.. injury-prone, Fehr's status with Trotz seems uncertain, who knows what the market is like and what GMBM is thinking. So... under the circumstances, it's pretty logical to try Kuz there.

Even if one believes Kuz to be expendable in the long run (yay Forsberg), he's a more valuable asset, sigh, if he has some center credentials.

Pretty much the biggest negative I see right now is that he were a top-6 wing, he'd get to play with some real skill. However... I think he's played in KHL long enough that his skill won't just evaporate playing with grinders. Right now his main task is to pick up good NHL habits -- and maybe in this sense playing with grinders will make it more natural to focus on that.

So on balance, I think 3C is the right place for him, given the circumstances. But it would be nice if Trotz tried him at top-6 wing every now and then, just to get a feel for possible chemistry, at least.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Kuzy doesn't look like a center to me. I'm all for trying it but I don't see it in his game. I think he's a sniper. In the style of Semin and Bondra—not necessarily that good, and he might even be better in time who knows.

Burakovsky, in contrast, looks comfortable and in command at C. He sees the game well from that position.

I am happy as can be to have Burakovsky on the team. He and Backstrom gives us a good start at having formidable centers. After that, we got zilch at C. It'd be a good idea to start looking around for a vet defensive center or two. We could sure a Joel Otto type at 3C.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009

I was thinking about that also. If he said he was good to go I would give him the start. I think it would be better he played then site four days thinking about it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kuzy doesn't look like a center to me. I'm all for trying it but I don't see it in his game. I think he's a sniper. In the style of Semin and Bondra—not necessarily that good, and he might even be better in time who knows.

Burakovsky, in contrast, looks comfortable and in command at C. He sees the game well from that position.

This has been my take as well, except for a few games where Kuz elevated his play and Bura was well out of his comfort zone (when was bumped up to the top line and struggled before recovering a few games later). I do think you try to train Kuz to be as versatile as possible, though. If you can have him ABLE to play C then your options increase tremendously.

I know Trotz has a ton of experience (4th in wins among active coaches) and his merit system is part of an overall method, but I hope the long term plan includes settling on some prefered lines with chemistry. We talk about creativity and offensive awareness for these forwards and that doesn't reach elite levels (as a group) for sustained periods unless players develop that comfort and expectation with linemates. The quick bang-bang plays and unconventional moves/decisions that pay off go up on lines with guys who have anticipation of each other. Lines without that chemistry will make mistakes and then get conservative if they're not broken up first.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
there is still chimera who has been terrible this year.

he was saying one of the top 2 lines. chimera is on the
3rd and the assignment of that line is different. they played a pretty strong cycle game in Chicago with Laich at center. Chimera had a good game. Kuz doesn't fit that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So you develop an elite offensive talent as a third line center instead of moving a guy like Brouwer out? That's not very good asset management in my opinion. Ward & Fehr are UFA after this season, Brouwer the season after.

I love Tom Wilson but it's really up in the air if he'll ever be a scoring line winger. I know power forwards take a bit longer to develop so I'm giving him time but I'm still skeptical if he has the hands or not. I'm also not saying Kuznetsov has looked like the Malkin comparisons quite yet but he's proven to be a far superior offensive player to this point in much less North American seasoning than 43.

In short, yes. Kuznetsov and Brouwer while both RW's don't play the same position. Trotz wants a Brouwer on a wing with two less physical and smaller forwards. He doesn't want three similar players. If you demand Kuz on the top two lines then get on the trade Johansson band wagon.

As for Wilson, its not up in the air at all. It happens every game now. He had a great deflection with his net presence and a good save stopped that. He removed a player trying to attack Ovechkin over a hit. He's 19 year old. They he got moved down in favor of Beagle to play defense in the 3rd. that's all that is really waiting on. Him gaining enough experience. Make no mistake. He is on the first line for the long term.

Yes....He is more skilled than Wilson. So was Semin than Knuble and nobody would agree that Semin was better on the first line than Knuble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad