Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone else thinking it makes more sense to go with 7D if Oshie’s out than put Carr in? I know playing 11F isn’t ideal, but it would take pressure off Carlson and Schultz as they ease in off injury, and TVR seems to add a lot more on the ice than Carr does?
If Lavi is actually willing to use all 7D, sure. If Lavi isn't, then pass.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Everything?
The team announced that he was being scratched for being late/missing a "team function".
The next day he was placed on COVID absense list. He remains on that list.
To remain clear of speculation we have to suggest the two events are unrelated.

Question. Can you get on the COVID list on the road without breaking COVID rules?

Are you saying that if the Capitals are without Kuznetsov thru no fault of their own and lose, that its because of Kuznetsov/Kuznetsov's fault?
Why? I can acknowledge they are likely related and still avoid speculating about the specifics.

Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why? I can acknowledge they are likely related and still avoid speculating about the specifics.

We have no solid evidence that one is connected to the other. There hasnt been any information about how they ended up in COVID jail. Do we even have anything official or even implied that they broke COVID rules? It certainly makes sense that what they did to break COVID protocols is what made them mess up the function, but that is still connecting dots without any solid information.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I love answering a question with a question. It gets us so much further down the road. I dont have the problems with either Dillon or Schultz that some have here. Dillon is bordering on whipping boy status. Schultz has been an impact player that I wasnt expecting.

Its clear to me that TVR doesnt play Laviolette's game as well as the other 3 right shot defensemen. I prefer Jensen to TVR for skating speed and manueverability. I never considered Schultz a potential scratch. Taking their 2nd highest scoring defenseman out of the lineup would be a different kind of move.

So, there we are. I asked a question which you blew off and turned around on me. I responded with a straight forward answer.

Yes you did, and it was your own, not Lavi's :thumbu:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
states have already deferred to businesses to set mask requirements….the NHL can absolutely do this IMO….

unless there is some law you have knowledge of that would prohibit a private league from establishing their own health rules/restrictions/guidelines in regards to COVID.
I don’t really get what you’re arguing?Businesses have set whatever rules they want so long as they’re within state and or federal regulations. Most businesses have had the mandates you’re referring to because that’s the only way they’ve been able to follow the rules to stay operational. So, my question is, with federal and state regulations being relaxed or taken away completely, will sports leagues see a need to continue with their mandates that are now more strict than the ones that society at large has to follow? When do sports leagues feel they no longer need them? Cap One Arena will be at max capacity on June 11 (if they’re still playing by then) — what’s the point of having a Covid list if you have buildings with 20,000 people in them exposing your players?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Thanks for answering my question. Oh, wait.

I don't think you specifically asked ME a question (could be wrong, though). But I did offer my opinion about Dillon / Schultz / TvR, as follows:

-------------
The Dillon Shultz pairing seems to require Dillon to be the defensive D and Schultz to play up and create offence. This puts pressure on Dillon and he rushes his plays and turns the puck over or makes a bad pass.

The Dillon TvR pairing takes that pressure off Dillon because TvR is (imho) a very good defensive D. This allows Dillon to play further up ice. He doesn't really generate offence (even when he tries to), but I think the key factor is that he
doesn't have that pressure on him because TvR is back there covering.

I also noticed that in the last two or three games that TvR played he was playing up ice more often. Much like Dillon he isn't a guy I expect to create much offence at all, but I found it notable because previously he would always stay back in the D zone.

As somebody else pointed out, TvR has a very good long pass.

It's a tricky situation because these three guys are all different types of defencemen so they aren't interchangeable. On a lot of others teams I would expect all 3 of them to be mainstays in the lineup.

Anyway, those are my observations (rightly or wrongly)
-----------------------

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t really get what you’re arguing?Businesses have set whatever rules they want so long as they’re within state and or federal regulations. Most businesses have had the mandates you’re referring to because that’s the only way they’ve been able to follow the rules to stay operational. So, my question is, with federal and state regulations being relaxed or taken away completely, will sports leagues see a need to continue with their mandates that are now more strict than the ones that society at large has to follow? When do sports leagues feel they no longer need them? Cap One Arena will be at max capacity on June 11 (if they’re still playing by then) — what’s the point of having a Covid list if you have buildings with 20,000 people in them exposing your players?

did you even read the original post I responded to? The ask was now that the CDC said no masks, does that mean no COVID list. So yeah….those protocols are not going away until the players and all league staff is vaccinated IMO. June 11 is a ways off.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We have no solid evidence that one is connected to the other. There hasnt been any information about how they ended up in COVID jail. Do we even have anything official or even implied that they broke COVID rules? It certainly makes sense that what they did to break COVID protocols is what made them mess up the function, but that is still connecting dots without any solid information.
Yes. they are on Covid protocols.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
did you even read the original post I responded to? The ask was now that the CDC said no masks, does that mean no COVID list. So yeah….those protocols are not going away until the players and all league staff is vaccinated IMO. June 11 is a ways off.
Yes, I read it. You seemed to be implying that businesses were setting and would continue to set their regulations independent of state and federal regs which I'm not sure I agree with. For example, when Hogan relaxed MD regs he said that counties and subsequently businesses could not impose regulations that contradicted his mandates. Fundamentally I also don't think that businesses are going to impose regs that are more strict than necessary -- or what the gov't tells them is required in order to stay open -- since consumers are like water and will follow the path of least resistance... having higher regs than necessary or needed will lead to being at a competitive disadvantage.

I think the NHL has already relaxed regs for teams w/ 70% of their players being vaccinated so I don't think it's a stretch to say with these latest updates from POTUS and the CDC that they'd further relax their protocols. I mean, if the Caps are still playing on June 11 the Cap One Arena could be packed with 20k people screaming their heads off with no masks... what exactly is the point of Covid protocol if you have 20k strangers packed in a building with you??

@Hivemind I'm not touching the premature debate or not, but I wonder if 100% will be the benchmark or if they'll be content at something lower (which could imply herd immunity).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, I read it. You seemed to be implying that businesses were setting and would continue to set their regulations independent of state and federal regs which I'm not sure I agree with. For example, when Hogan relaxed MD regs he said that counties and subsequently businesses could not impose regulations that contradicted his mandates. Fundamentally I also don't think that businesses are going to impose regs that are more strict than necessary -- or what the gov't tells them is required in order to stay open -- since consumers are like water and will follow the path of least resistance... having higher regs than necessary or needed will lead to being at a competitive disadvantage.

I think the NHL has already relaxed regs for teams w/ 70% of their players being vaccinated so I don't think it's a stretch to say with these latest updates from POTUS and the CDC that they'd further relax their protocols. I mean, if the Caps are still playing on June 11 the Cap One Arena could be packed with 20k people screaming their heads off with no masks... what exactly is the point of Covid protocol if you have 20k strangers packed in a building with you??

@Hivemind I'm not touching the premature debate or not, but I wonder if 100% will be the benchmark or if they'll be content at something lower (which could imply herd immunity).

im sorry, we’re already seeing that and have been for weeks or longer. Many major retailers have kept mask restrictions and other things even when states relaxed the requirements.

What’s the point of socially distancing in an airport then being forced closely into a tin can with 100 people? Many things are head scratchers. Sometimes we just have to accept them.

8 vaccinated Yankees with COVID seem to point to COVID Protocols not going anywhere anytime soon. Relaxed in some instances….possibly…..going away completely….not anytime fast IMO.

let’s wait and see.

Last edited:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Waiting for Kuznetsov news
upload_2021-5-14_10-29-36.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Waiting for Kuznetsov news View attachment 433751
Not a great update. I don't want to say definitively that they contracted Covid again but I have to imagine that at this point, it stands to reason that they haven't met the criteria for consecutive negative tests since they wouldn't have had to be in quarantine for 11 days if there was just an exposure issue. If they did indeed contract Covid again, would be surprised if we see them again this season given how long it took them to recover from it last time. Maybe this is ultimate subterfuge and they'll magically pop off the list and be ready to go but I think they're done.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Hard to understand what is happening with these two.

How can they still be on the COVID list? Twice in one year?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Just guessing but if its subterfuge its not to hide them as ready to play but to deflect the questions about why they arent playing.

But would the league, as in the NHL itself, be willing to help the Caps with subterfuge? I don't know...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But would the league, as in the NHL itself, be willing to help the Caps with subterfuge? I don't know...

No. I dont think its subterfuge. I am just saying it makes more sense if it is subterfuge for that to be because they dont want to talk about them not playing than about playing. I mean, they arent skating as long as they are on the covid list

Reactions: tenken00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad