Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it’s lazy wording or simply an incorrect statement.

Ovechkin is unmistakably the most talented Capital of all time.

Semin’s dangles and slick wrister just were very enamoring for many, so that statement gets trotted out too often IMO.

Most talented is not the same as best. Ov is clearly the best.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Siegs gets nachos tonight and gets to watch from a nice spot. TVR wont get to play but might get hit with the puck. Can you imagine getting injured in a game that you dont get credit for playing?

I actually know nothing about this. But does getting in a game count for some sort of salary or pay bonus off the taxi squad? And that's why they had to get Sieg into the game for 30 seconds last time?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
The difference beween good and great is often desire....Ovy has it, those others never did.
100%

I wonder if Semin ever wonders what type of player he could've been if he gave a f***? He was nearly a PPG - even with a couple of down years towards the end of his NHL career - and he literally didn't give a f*** half the time.

Funny story - Sasha Minor used to frequent bars and clubs the nights before games quite often, especially in the earlier part of his career, where he was really homesick. I'm in my mid-to-late 20's right now, so, I missed him, but, a bunch of my older friends would see him at places like Russia House all of the time (one of Ovi's favorite spots, too). He'd get trashed and be hungover for morning skates the next day. Can't imagine it sat well with the coaches or organization.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I actually know nothing about this. But does getting in a game count for some sort of salary or pay bonus off the taxi squad? And that's why they had to get Sieg into the game for 30 seconds last time?

I am not up on the technicals of it but I believe to get credit for playing in a game you must get in the game. Player's pensions and other things are set by games of service. Thats why Siegenthaler got that last shift in that game he sat on the bench. He got credit for the game

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think we know now that it ate at Backstrom the most.

Yeah, credit where credit is due.

Backstrom looks great this year. He really took it on himself when a lot of people would realistically take a big pay day and coast. We've seen it happen more often in this world than the other way around.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
100%

I wonder if Semin ever wonders what type of player he could've been if he gave a f***? He was nearly a PPG - even with a couple of down years towards the end of his NHL career - and he literally didn't give a f*** half the time.

Funny story - Sasha Minor used to frequent bars and clubs the nights before games quite often, especially in the earlier part of his career, where he was really homesick. I'm in my mid-to-late 20's right now, so, I missed him, but, a bunch of my older friends would see him at places like Russia House all of the time (one of Ovi's favorite spots, too). He'd get trashed and be hungover for morning skates the next day. Can't imagine it sat well with the coaches or organization.

Ah, the infamous Russia House. Is that place still around?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah, credit where credit is due.

Backstrom looks great this year. He really took it on himself when a lot of people would realistically take a big pay day and coast. We've seen it happen more often in this world than the other way around.

I think Backie was just hurt all last year... like that thumb injury never healed or something. He couldn't catch passes, and I think it affected his overall effort to keep the puck on his stick. I don't think this turnaround is just because he started doing P90X.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Might be. Ive heard Broduer and Lundqvist talk about how his shot is different. Something about the spin or spin rate that drills thru goalies.

I can’t think of anyone with his absurd shot “heaviness” and accuracy....usually it’s one or the other...or lesser degrees of both.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Ah, the infamous Russia House. Is that place still around?

I believe they're still closed with Covid, but, should be reopening once the virus passes.

I've seen Ovi DOWN beers there like you wouldn't believe. He's probably tamed down the partying, but, man he can still down like eight beers in under an hour easy.

Russian Machine Never Breaks.

Sep 19, 2008
The DC government announced that teams need to apply for a waiver for mass gatherings (including sporting events) starting March 22nd. This could possibly mean Caps games will be open for attendance with reduced capacity starting in late March or even April.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

• Hockey (NHL) – Each player has an individual pension account. The amount in each individual pension account differs based on the total number of games played and a prorated contribution if a full season is not played.

Reactions: tenken00

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Backie was just hurt all last year... like that thumb injury never healed or something. He couldn't catch passes, and I think it affected his overall effort to keep the puck on his stick. I don't think this turnaround is just because he started doing P90X.

“Just”....no you’re right....I’m sure he was dinged, but the change in his fitness cannot be ignored....it’s HUGE. I’d say it’s the greatest positive impact to his game this year....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
“Just”....no you’re right....I’m sure he was dinged, but the change in his fitness cannot be ignored....it’s HUGE. I’d say it’s the greatest positive impact to his game this year....

I would suggest that the fitness is an agreement based on his new contract. MacLellan said that he would do the contract but that for his part he would ask Backy to step up his fitness. It might have been in his contract about playing weight or might have been a handshake. This is just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad