Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When was the last time Kuzy was “on”?

I just don’t see his game as it currently is, being “near irreplaceable”....

17 games, current pace 10g, 49 points (over a full season).

but hey, “we like our team”...

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Letting Trotz walk for Todd Reirden is a fireable offense.

If the Caps don't make significant hay in the playoffs this year I want BMac gone.
This is so tired and old I don't know why I'm responding but here goes. You have it on good authority that it was BMac's decision to let Trotz walk then, yeah? Almost all signs point to it being Ted who didn't want to pay him considering (1) it was BMac who said if Barry wants to be back he'll be back and (2) it was Ted who made the announcement that they released Trotz from the contract that automatically kicked in once they won the Cup.

Ted came out publicly and flat out said that Trotz didn't want to honor the contract he negotiated when he was first hired so I imagine he was pretty irritated and maybe as a result he didn't want to grant the term and dollar to Trotz that he was asking for. Ted was pretty chafed by the whole process and chose to personally speak out in public to discuss how he saw everything go down -- he didn't delegate any of that to BMac -- so my money is on this being a Ted decision, not a BMac decision.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
When was the last time Kuzy was “on”?

I just don’t see his game as it currently is, being “near irreplaceable”....

but hey, “we like our team”...
I agree with you.

It's so aggravating to me and it's unacceptable on Kuzy's part.

Many here think I'm out to get Kuzy, but, he's my favorite player on our team and it's a shame to see his game fall off a cliff half the time and him just not work hard consistently enough - especially after what we saw in the '18 Cup run. I think he either puts his shit together or he gets moved before next year. I hope it's the former because that means our superstar is back. I honestly think it's all on him. He just has to work hard and focus. The talent is there and should be on display every game - not every few games.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
This is so tired and old I don't know why I'm responding but here goes. You have it on good authority that it was BMac's decision to let Trotz walk then, yeah? Almost all signs point to it being Ted who didn't want to pay him considering (1) it was BMac who said if Barry wants to be back he'll be back and (2) it was Ted who made the announcement that they released Trotz from the contract that automatically kicked in once they won the Cup.

Ted came out publicly and flat out said that Trotz didn't want to honor the contract he negotiated when he was first hired so I imagine he was pretty irritated and maybe as a result he didn't want to grant the term and dollar to Trotz that he was asking for. Ted seemed chafed about the whole process and chose to be out in public to discuss how he saw everything go down so my money is on this being a Ted decision, not a BMac decision.
To be honest, I am not sure we would have won another Cup with Trotz, either. Seemed like the stars aligned that post-season and Reirden took over some huge responsibilities and Kuzy went god mode. I'm not sure we would've replicated that run in any other year after. It was the perfect storm, if you will.

Edit: Many forget Trotz was on the hot seat much of that run and were even calling for his head and for him to be fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still think that the Caps go as Kuzy goes. When he's on, there's not many better superstars in the league. When he's on god mode, teams and defenses have to game plan around him - unsuccessfully - and we win the Cup.

Thats my point. Right now, I dont think its very likely that we get point per game, ice tilting Kuzy anymore. As a result the Caps are going to have to find another way to win. If Kuzy comes to play, then the Caps can contend til Ov retires. BTW...only Semin had God mode to select. Kuzy while good doesnt have that Semin extra gear

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Thats my point. Right now, I dont think its very likely that we get point per game, ice tilting Kuzy anymore. As a result the Caps are going to have to find another way to win. If Kuzy comes to play, then the Caps can contend til Ov retires. BTW...only Semin had God mode to select. Kuzy while good doesnt have that Semin extra gear
Man, Semin was one of the best players I've ever watched. Only a select few players of the last/this generation had more natural skill than he did. Imagine if he showed up to work hard and play ever single game. His stretches of great play/production usually coincided with stretches of great work ethic and strong defensive play. Probably the most talented player we will ever see in a Caps uniform, ever.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seemed like the stars aligned that post-season.

Thats how it is with every Cup winner. Eller's goal vs CBJ had always gone in for the other team. I think the Caps win the Carolina series if Oshie isnt injured and Ov doesnt knock the kid out in the fight. After that there was an overmatched Islanders and Boston who they own. One push in the back did. One measly little push. Thats what done it

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m always perplexed when I hear people say anyone but Alex Ovechkin is the most talented player in team history.

Even if Semin, or Kuznetsov, or whoever was consistently at their best they wouldn’t sniff the talent of Alex Ovechkin, who is the best goal scorer in NHL history.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m always perplexed when I hear people say anyone but Alex Ovechkin is the most talented player in team history.

Even if Semin, or Kuznetsov, or whoever was consistently at their best they wouldn’t sniff the talent of Alex Ovechkin, who is the best goal scorer in NHL history.

I think it’s lazy wording or simply an incorrect statement.

Ovechkin is unmistakably the most talented Capital of all time.

Semin’s dangles and slick wrister just were very enamoring for many, so that statement gets trotted out too often IMO.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

Sasha Minor is probably one of the most talented players in the history of hockey. Definitely of the last two generations. Didn't make him a better player - or nearly a better player - than Ovi, but, in an optimal world where he would have had Ovi's work ethic, he could've been a perennial MVP contender. Funny how things work out. His natural ability and skill was out of this world.

He'd take curl and drug hybrid snap-wrist shots off of his back foot while being turned away from the goal with multiple defenders around him and just go bar down or high netting with ease. Was a spectacle to see.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Well Ovechkin is/was the perfect combination of skill, speed, size and drive.

That drive is what mostly separated him from Semin and Kuzy.

You knew it ate at him when the team didn't do well for all those years.

You knew it ate at him when everyone thought he was washed up and over the hill.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

You knew it ate at him when the team didn't do well early on.

You knew it ate at him when everyone thought he was washed up.
Work ethic and physicality is the biggest difference to me. Semin and Kuzy have more natural skill than Ovechkin with their hands, but, Ovi is just such a more all-around better player that has allowed him to be one of the best players ever.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Its Buffalo. They could dress a lineup of Tenken, WetHog, ABro and Me, and probably still win.

72Exi0K.gif

Reactions: kicksavedave

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Work ethic and physicality is the biggest difference to me. Semin and Kuzy have more natural skill than Ovechkin with their hands, but, Ovi is just such a more all-around better player that has allowed him to be one of the best players ever.

I don't know if Semin and Kuzy ever had that drive. That drive to be great.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Its pretty commonly held around here that if Semin had the desire that Ovechkin has, he would have been a better player. He didnt and wasnt. "You've got a gift, Roy, but its not enough."

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I don't know if Semin and Kuzy ever had that drive. That drive to be great.
Ohhh, I thought you meant like Ovi's driving ability with the puck in terms of turning on attack mode and bull rushing defenders in transition. Definitely drive, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You knew it ate at him when the team didn't do well for all those years.

You knew it ate at him when everyone thought he was washed up.

The difference beween good and great is often desire....Ovy has it, those others never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->