Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I actually think Lundqvist expects to be able to play. What got me thru my mess was a blindness to the collateral damage my procedure might cause. I just went along as if I could and there was not even a bump in to road. Its how some people cope. I dont MacLellan thought it was possible for this season at least and moved on. The grin on his face yesterday exposed how surprised and happy he is about how its working out.
I hear you. Having experienced a lot of illness that’s set me back and, at times, objectively made life goals seem unattainable, it was that instinctive determination not to give up because your goals can be reached (even if others think it’s implausible) that keeps you going and finds you that success. I don’t doubt that HL thought he could get back in game shape at some point, but even he didn’t seem to think it would be this season. In his Instagram post he said it ‘breaks my heart (literally)’ that ‘I will not be joining the Capitals this upcoming season’. The idea that just a few months from now he could, at least in theory, gain medical approval is incredible, and an amazing achievement both by his medical team and his work ethos and determination. But I think everyone, including him, must be a bit shocked by how quickly he seems to be bouncing back.

Imagine the boost having him just on the taxi squad for playoffs would be for the group.
100%. It’s a biopic waiting to be written, too.

Anderson for his part is confident that he can play just fine given the chance.
He is, but at this point it feels like his main role with the Caps is to shoulder some of the practice shots rather than to play. If they were that reluctant to play him during the early stretch of the season, I don’t see that changing if VV/IS are unavailable at any time down the stretch or into the playoffs, though bringing in a new #3 might be too much of a luxury at this point. Far more concerned about how many times Oshie has been at Center this year than Anderson as backup.

Panik, like Jensen and Hagelin is a player fans cant see the way the team sees them. Sprong can score but its clear the coaches dont like him. I am guessing his decisions and coverages are bad. That he doesnt respond well to coaching. Where Panik does what they tell him to do effectively. Panik is never a scratch and Sprong always is. That should tell people something

In fairness to Sprong, both this and the last coaching staff seem to like the work he puts in and what he brings. I don’t think he’s uncoachable, but he isn’t strong enough all-round to play non-limited/sheltered minutes. If the team isn’t scoring, there’s an argument to put him in. But if the team is getting enough offense, throwing him in knocks everyone else out of sync and puts added pressure on several others to pick up the defensive slack.

I’m still rooting for Panik, but his role on the team isn’t as clearly defined as most others. He plays a good game and does a lot of the little things well, but I’m still concerned that the third line won’t find another gear in the playoffs. The fourth line will hopefully be more assertive and I like what Sheary brings, but if they could help Panik find a way to contribute more offensively that would be huge.

As for Hags and Jensen, I don’t think they’re under appreciated so much as a little overpaid. I haven’t seen anyone suggesting Hags sit this year, for example, because when you’re blind to the money he’s playing a strong game in an important role and making the team better. It’s just a question of the cap, and those guys not playing above their natural fit.

For me, it isn’t that any one of them is massively overpaid, but that between Panik, Hags and Jensen we’re paying $8 million for three role players. They’re all good at what they do and play important roles, but ideally on a contender you’d fill your third pair and fourth-line roles a bit more cheaply. To me, Dowd’s contract is a steal, and I’m not expecting them to play for that kind of cap hit. Hathaway’s is probably closer to fair value. Paying each of Panik, Jens and Hags $2million a year instead would have given us an extra $2million to spend on scoring depth or goaltending, which would have been huge. You can’t change that now, but it’s still unfortunate and I’m not convinced all three of the guys would have got the deals they had if they’d gone to market.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hear you. Having experienced a lot of illness that’s set me back and, at times, objectively made life goals seem unattainable, it was that instinctive determination not to give up because your goals can be reached (even if others think it’s implausible) that keeps you going and finds you that success. I don’t doubt that HL thought he could get back in game shape at some point, but even he didn’t seem to think it would be this season. In his Instagram post he said it ‘breaks my heart (literally)’ that ‘I will not be joining the Capitals this upcoming season’. The idea that just a few months from now he could, at least in theory, gain medical approval is incredible, and an amazing achievement both by his medical team and his work ethos and determination. But I think everyone, including him, must be a bit shocked by how quickly he seems to be bouncing back.

100%. It’s a biopic waiting to be written, too.

He is, but at this point it feels like his main role with the Caps is to shoulder some of the practice shots rather than to play. If they were that reluctant to play him during the early stretch of the season, I don’t see that changing if VV/IS are unavailable at any time down the stretch or into the playoffs, though bringing in a new #3 might be too much of a luxury at this point. Far more concerned about how many times Oshie has been at Center this year than Anderson as backup.

In fairness to Sprong, both this and the last coaching staff seem to like the work he puts in and what he brings. I don’t think he’s uncoachable, but he isn’t strong enough all-round to play non-limited/sheltered minutes. If the team isn’t scoring, there’s an argument to put him in. But if the team is getting enough offense, throwing him in knocks everyone else out of sync and puts added pressure on several others to pick up the defensive slack.

I’m still rooting for Panik, but his role on the team isn’t as clearly defined as most others. He plays a good game and does a lot of the little things well, but I’m still concerned that the third line won’t find another gear in the playoffs. The fourth line will hopefully be more assertive and I like what Sheary brings, but if they could help Panik find a way to contribute more offensively that would be huge.

As for Hags and Jensen, I don’t think they’re under appreciated so much as a little overpaid. I haven’t seen anyone suggesting Hags sit this year, for example, because when you’re blind to the money he’s playing a strong game in an important role and making the team better. It’s just a question of the cap, and those guys not playing above their natural fit.

For me, it isn’t that any one of them is massively overpaid, but that between Panik, Hags and Jensen we’re paying $8 million for three role players. They’re all good at what they do and play important roles, but ideally on a contender you’d fill your third pair and fourth-line roles a bit more cheaply. To me, Dowd’s contract is a steal, and I’m not expecting them to play for that kind of cap hit. Hathaway’s is probably closer to fair value. Paying each of Panik, Jens and Hags $2million a year instead would have given us an extra $2million to spend on scoring depth or goaltending, which would have been huge. You can’t change that now, but it’s still unfortunate and I’m not convinced all three of the guys would have got the deals they had if they’d gone to market.

Hank: When he said he was going to skate I wasnt expecting to see an NHL goalie doing NHL goalie drills and looking like an actual player. I was stunned.

Sprong: MacLellan was pretty clear that Laviolette wasnt happy with Sprong.

Jensen and Hags: I think they are both seriously underappreciated. If he had a scoring touch, he would be a star. As it is he is a penalty killer that the opposition has to game plan for. He messes up every team the Caps play because of the combination of his speed and ability to read the play. He doesnt score which makes him a punchline. If you asked Lavy and Mac, though, they would say he is worth every penny he makes. Jensen is an entirely different story. MacLellan was trying to get a $5m player for half that and Jensen was overwhelmed. It took him a long time to come to grips with where he was and what his job is. Now, though, instead of Orlov he skates with Chara. Jensen isnt overpaid. TVR was not brought here to replace him. I would not be surprised to find out that half our regular posters here are shocked that TVR isnt playing and Jensen is.

Of course this is just my opinion

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am leaving the door open knowing this player. Another of his typical 20 goals in 20 games streaks and it will look different. You are slamming the door on an Ov hot streak? No chance at all? I am not so strong on that.

I’m not seeing it.....something is missing with Ovy this year.

he might make a run, but the King’s streak is over IMO.

would love to be wrong.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not seeing it.....something is missing with Ovy this year.

he might make a run, but the King’s streak is over IMO.

would love to be wrong.

He's got a ways to go, but those 5 goals in 2 games thing could have been the last two games as he was getting the chances and his shot looks right. MacLellan admitted something was wrong with him. I think sometimes we dont see that like Cal Ripken he plays when other players wouldnt with an injury. His assist to goals ratio and his willingness to pass on scoring chances told me something was different. Him being pissed at Sprong for not passing on the 2 on 1 would indicate a return to SOP.

That goal against the Flyers was outside the ability of the typical mortal. So, I will be interested to see what happens tonight.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He's got a ways to go, but those 5 goals in 2 games thing could have been the last two games as he was getting the chances and his shot looks right. MacLellan admitted something was wrong with him. I think sometimes we dont see that like Cal Ripken he plays when other players wouldnt with an injury. His assist to goals ratio and his willingness to pass on scoring chances told me something was different. Him being pissed at Sprong for not passing on the 2 on 1 would indicate a return to SOP.

That goal against the Flyers was outside the ability of the typical mortal. So, I will be interested to see what happens tonight.

I mean it was only a few games ago he took a knee on knee that may have ended a lesser man's season. And didn't something similar happen a few weeks back? Maybe its not the little finger insert, maybe he has a bad wheel?

Also I don't think he was pissed at Spronger. Sprong joked about it, but Ovi is always happy when his teammates score. He might have been pissed if Sprong missed (nice rhyme:) )

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean it was only a few games ago he took a knee on knee that may have ended a lesser man's season. And didn't something similar happen a few weeks back? Maybe its not the little finger insert, maybe he has a bad wheel?

Also I don't think he was pissed at Spronger. Sprong joked about it, but Ovi is always happy when his teammates score. He might have been pissed if Sprong missed (nice rhyme:) )

I didnt take Sprong's comments as a joke. His body language waiting to get asked that question was unimpressive. He didnt want to be there. That was my read. Sprong didnt look at Oshie when he started to laugh and Sprong never cracked a smile. Honestly, it made me wonder a bit how well liked Sprong is.

2 things about Ov. Early in the season he got a leg dinged twice in one game. He yelled loud enough both times that the broadcasters commented. He was slashed on the hand badly enough that they showed him taking his glove off and getting attention for it. MacLellan meanwhile described it as more than one thing. So, the leg and the hand.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I didnt take Sprong's comments as a joke. His body language waiting to get asked that question was unimpressive. He didnt want to be there. That was my read. Sprong didnt look at Oshie when he started to laugh and Sprong never cracked a smile. Honestly, it made me wonder a bit how well liked Sprong is.
:speechles

You can't seriously think that Ovechkin was mad at him for scoring a goal, can you?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is anyone surprised hockey players get dinged up? Most of them carry “little” nagging things throughout the season.

AO is just mega durable.....it’s an amazing thing. And yeah, he doesn’t take the days off that many do around the league. He’s very lunchpail in that aspect.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:speechles

You can't seriously think that Ovechkin was mad at him for scoring a goal, can you?

I’m with you....if Ovy was legit mad, it would seemingly be a first for a guy usually more happy for other goal scorers than they are for themselves.

If he was legit mad, something is wrong with his psyche IMO. It would be out of character for him.

The missing family angle is what I’d be eyeballing if anything.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ovie has to understand that as the GOAT goal scorer, he's a hell of a decoy on a 2 on 1 like that. Goalies have to respect the likelihood he'll take the pass and snipe it. So they cheat. A shooter like Sprong has the skill to take advantage of that. It was the right play, and I'm sure Ovie knows it.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
We all heard the stories of Lavi getting under the players skin. I think we can see it in Siegs getting no playing time, Sprong getting no games even tho he scores every time he plays. TVR prob not happy sitting as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is dumb, I know but it was bouncing around in my head. Is there any way that the Caps could make the salary cap work that they could get Taylor Hall at the deadline? I imagine no but it struck me that the Caps atmosphere might really work for that guy.

Reactions: Calicaps

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It's an odd team to try and improve at the deadline. Everybody has a role and there are plenty of NHL caliber players not dressing every game. On the other hand, how many games has Oshie had to play at center? That does not scream 'great depth'.

The other thing that concerns me is Vrana's playoff performance. He is having an impressive offensive season but every time he scores I wonder if that kind of scoring opportunity will be presented to him in the playoffs. It wasn't for the past two years.

One player that would be of major interest to me were he made available is Tomas Hertl. Very comfortable on the wing and a legitimate top-6 center. Love his playoff game. Signed through next season at $5.6m. Asking price would be rightfully very high and we don't have any cap room to play with.

What's everybody's opinion on this player? He would provide us with flexibility to possibly let Kuznetsov go in the future and have a replacement available, if things ever get that far. IMO, if the ask is 1st round pick, Vrana, one of our few good prospects and Panik(to make the cap work), I would grind my teeth and say YES.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If you are talking about a center that is happy to play the wing and is an upgrade on Sheary/Sprong, then thats possible. Eric Staal might fall in to that catagory too. There's no question that the Caps healthy centers would be the 4 they have now.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If you are talking about a center that is happy to play the wing and is an upgrade on Sheary/Sprong, then thats possible. Eric Staal might fall in to that catagory too. There's no question that the Caps healthy centers would be the 4 they have now.
Sounds like the Canes are about to get Eric Staal back

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The other thing that concerns me is Vrana's playoff performance. He is having an impressive offensive season but every time he scores I wonder if that kind of scoring opportunity will be presented to him in the playoffs. It wasn't for the past two years.
Only time will tell. You give Vrana a chance with another coach, kind of no other option present. If he fails again I'd think he's traded as RFA.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Going to go ahead and say that the team having .895 goaltending isn't great! It's easy to blame the defense but the team defense has actually been quite good and goaltending is a big reason why so many of these leads have been blown.

I don't really know what the answer is if neither goalie really takes over the starting role and starts performing well. I think Antii Raanta is a decent target if he's healthy and Arizona retains half of his $4.25M salary, but his health has been a huge question mark. I imagine MacLellan could make something like that happen despite a tight cap, but he really would need to get a good indication of his health before considering it.

Henrik Lundqvist would make for a really cool story but it just doesn't seem feasible and even if he is 100% healthy it's hard to be confident in his abilities right now.

Cal Petersen would be a wildcard option if LA tails off a bit but I don't really feel confident there's a deal there, especially if the Kings think he might be the guy to supplant Quick. In his limited time over 3 years Petersen has been excellent, so if they can't really get a #1 guy and can only really snag a #1B in case Samsonov falters he would be an intriguing option. Affordable cap hit for one more season after this, but again his sample size is 33 games and no playoff experience.

No thanks to Devan Dubnyk, literally the worst goals saved above expected at ES over the past 3 years.

I do think MacLellan is good at recognizing what ails the team but I don't really know what he might have up his sleeve this time around. Given his aggressive history in addressing team needs I doubt he stands pat though if goaltending is still an issue.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
i get that trading for a goalie would be great, but how the hell are we gonna get the cap for one? we literally have $10 in cap, and there isnt really anyone easily replacable that has value and a cap hit over 1M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad