Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like all of them!

If we are ze suck, might as well be ze suck with ze kids.

I am confused. The suck last season was division title. The suck with a lineup full of not ready kids is getting destroyed and having a lottery pick. Its a result that wouldnt be just for one season either. You sure that is the direction you want? You are yanking my chain

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I am confused. The suck last season was division title. The suck with a lineup full of not ready kids is getting destroyed and having a lottery pick. Its a result that wouldnt be just for one season either. You sure that is the direction you want? You are yanking my chain

This is the way I see it. The suck started in the winter last year and carried through the shutdown and into the playoff bubble. We were terrible since the end of last December. That division title was entirely based on Oct-Dec 2019.

The hope is that with a new head coach, a new voice, maybe the guys can back to what they used to be.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe it wasn't Reirden and maybe the team really does need a major shakeup.

I was kidding about bringing up "all" the kids, but maybe we do need to bring the ones that are close. Bring some energy, passion, and most of all hunger that we seem to have lost.

I'm willing to see what Lavi has in store, so I'm willing to see this veteran team try for it one more time. But if it fails to even be competitive yet again..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is the way I see it. The suck started in the winter last year and carried through the shutdown and into the playoff bubble. We were terrible since the end of last December. That division title was entirely based on Oct-Dec 2019.

The hope is that with a new head coach, a new voice, maybe the guys can back to what they used to be.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe it wasn't Reirden and maybe the team really does need a major shakeup.

I was kidding about bringing up "all" the kids, but maybe we do need to bring the ones that are close. Bring some energy, passion, and most of all hunger that we seem to have lost.

I'm willing to see what Lavi has in store, so I'm willing to see this veteran team try for it one more time. But if it fails to even be competitive yet again..

I am confident that they didnt just hit a wall and its over. We will see

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I am confident that they didnt just hit a wall and its over. We will see

I hope not. But MacLellan himself said that it most likely wasn't all on Reirden for the suck that started what is now a full year ago.

He said that the team has also gotten stale and the culture complacent. He's gone all in with this group to see if Lavi can work some magic, but if they still play like doodoo.. maybe he will be interested to see how Lavi will do with some youth.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hope not. But MacLellan himself said that it most likely wasn't all on Reirden for the suck that started what is now a full year ago.

He said that the team has also gotten stale and the culture complacent. He's gone all in with this group to see if Lavi can work some magic, but if they still play like doodoo.. maybe he will be interested to see how Lavi will do with some youth.

He would lose. If the team is stale and the culture complacent with Lavy, the stale part is not the part replaced by the rookies. I am fairly sure that TJ Oshie is not part of complacency. Right? Who out of the good players are stale and need to go? Lets talk about that because its not the role players. Its not Dowd and Siegenthaler. Its Kuznetsov and Vrana and Eller and or Orlov. Anybody want to put it on Ov and Backstrom and Carlson.....or even Holtby?

You think Carl Hagelin is the anti Orpik?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
He would lose. If the team is stale and the culture complacent with Lavy, the stale part is not the part replaced by the rookies. I am fairly sure that TJ Oshie is not part of complacency. Right? Who out of the good players are stale and need to go? Lets talk about that because its not the role players. Its not Dowd and Siegenthaler. Its Kuznetsov and Vrana and Eller and or Orlov. Anybody want to put it on Ov and Backstrom and Carlson.....or even Holtby?

You think Carl Hagelin is the anti Orpik?

Well who would you rather have: Hagelin or Oshie? The question is who to move to get cap space? We can get that space by moving one Oshie or by moving Hagelin with other players.

If we want players that cost more than youth on ELC deals, we're going to have to ship out even more players off the team.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Carlson and Backstrom should be the first players mentioned after Kuznetsov as not pulling their full weight, yes.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm with Txpd on this. When the time comes to go "youth movement" because this roster has nothing left, you need to move on from guys like Ovie/Backy/Carlson/Eller/TJ. Those are the old guard that would need to moved out. And if the team is stagnant and Kuzy isn't becoming the next #1C we are looking for, probably move him for youth as well.

If we are just talking about needing to adjust cap space, then the Hagelin/Jensen/Kempny/Panik guys are who I would look at. But you also need a buyer.

To me the biggest issue is the Schultz contract. I've got a bad feeling that is going to be the real anchor for this team this year.

Reactions: tenken00

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I remember hearing an interview, I think it was with Vogel or maybe Sportsnet where George McPhee stated that he considered tanking during the 12/13 shortened season. The theory behind it was that with a short season, it is a crap shoot of which teams would be good, don't exert your stars to an intense season, and get your young kids a season of playing time. It was an interesting idea.

I wonder if teams that are close, but not there yet, would consider that this time around.

Also the top of the 2013 draft was loaded with talent, McKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones....Burakovksy.

Not sure if 2021 is as comparable

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Majority of our mediocre veteran UFA bottom 6 forwards/bottom 4D should be movable next offseason. they will have just 1-2 years left on their deals with signing bonuses paid off (for example Kempny after 1st of July 2021 is 1M salary player on 2,5m cap hit, that can be enticing to some team..).

One deal that will probably have big impact is Dillon. I hope he finds a place and becomes an impactful player for our team long term.

Probably not this year, but I think we need to bring up some kids sooner or later anyways no matter our results, I would argue even if we somewhat win our second Cup. To have top contender in the nhl nowadays you have to have some younger players on ELCs/bridge or reclamation deals overperforming their contracts. In 2018 it was Vrana, Connolly, Smith-Pelly and you could also put Kempny (Burakovsky?) in that category too.

If we dont want to be a mediocre team in 2 years we need to bring up someone like McMichael, Protas, Sprong, Lapierre, Alexeyev, Fehervary, Vanecek and at least some of these guys need to have impact to our lineup, also Samsonov needs to perform while on ELC or bridge he signs next season.

If we transition to younger players in some parts of our lineup it would help us with our rebuild further in the future, too. You would have 3-4 or so somewhat experienced players and probably Wilson as your future captain, leader of our rebuild. That is something you can build on.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I remember hearing an interview, I think it was with Vogel or maybe Sportsnet where George McPhee stated that he considered tanking during the 12/13 shortened season. The theory behind it was that with a short season, it is a crap shoot of which teams would be good, don't exert your stars to an intense season, and get your young kids a season of playing time. It was an interesting idea.

I wonder if teams that are close, but not there yet, would consider that this time around.

Also the top of the 2013 draft was loaded with talent, McKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones....Burakovksy.

Not sure if 2021 is as comparable

Can't tank this shortened season. We are definitely going to be gunning for a Cup for at least the next two season. Probably the end of our window. Maybe it is a crapshoot, but maybe that also helps the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
People speak so easily of blowing it up and tanking. As if you trade off a big chunk of your core and get a lottery pick. You plug in some youth already on hand and poof you are back in the playoffs with a shot in 2 seasons. Because McPhee did that doesnt mean most rebuilds like work out that way. Cups in the current league are going to veteran, fully developed teams, Pens Caps Blue Lightning Bruins.

I think its also a reality that if Ovechkin and Backstrom cant remain solid NHL players the Caps are just going to suffer through it. They arent going to trade off those guys. The franchise owes them waaaaaaay too much for that.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Seriously? The Caps had one rookie, Djoos, on defense. Not Siegenthaler and 2 rookies. Fehervary in? Do it. Siegs, Fever and AA in the same 6? L. This is why I ask how many and where?
Why are you assuming all D? It would be the forwards as well, obviously (I think).

Would the Caps keep Jensen and Panik over Oshie and a replacement level D? If so, why? I know you are a Jensen supporter, but over Oshie?

it only takes 2 players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Probably not this year, but I think we need to bring up some kids sooner or later anyways no matter our results, I would argue even if we somewhat win our second Cup. To have top contender in the nhl nowadays you have to have some younger players on ELCs/bridge or reclamation deals overperforming their contracts. In 2018 it was Vrana, Connolly, Smith-Pelly and you could also put Kempny (Burakovsky?) in that category too.

If we dont want to be a mediocre team in 2 years we need to bring up someone like McMichael, Protas, Sprong, Lapierre, Alexeyev, Fehervary, Vanecek and at least some of these guys need to have impact to our lineup, also Samsonov needs to perform while on ELC or bridge he signs next season.

Yes, you need players to overperform their cap hit. Connolly like players are rare and cant be counted on. The Caps need McMichael to be a Vrana level player and they need one top 4 d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->