Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Back the Blue. Bang the blue.

The arena can change from a red theme to a blue. Including a light for special circumstances. A blue light special if you will.

I should sleep.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok....take the biggest regular season event you have and confuse your brand. Its like your country music station playing dance music. But ok
They're called the Capitals...

You think people are going to be particularly confused by the colors when they're still red, white, and blue, and the thing's got stars and the Washington monument on the front of it? Correct me if I'm wrong but "Rocking the Red" is just a stupid marketing term they used when they moved to the RBK jerseys, I see no real reason to let it hold you back over a decade later with another manufacturer.

Capitals have more going for their brand than wearing the color red at all costs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They're called the Capitals...

Correct me if I'm wrong but "Rocking the Red" is just a stupid marketing term they used when they moved to the RBK jerseys.

10635819_web1_unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
How do you cut out 3/4 of a post and still miss the point?

Rock the Red isn't some decades old tradition, at least not yet, it was a half catchy slogan that accompanied the switch back to red, white, and blue. You can still strongly encourage a red gameday presence, like they already do, or other teams would with a white out, but you don't need to be bound to the color through your entire run of merchandise (as already demonstrated in those pictures). You don't see a bunch of people wearing away jerseys here, there's no reason to suddenly expect that they'd get confused and start bringing the blue ones.

The Capitals brand is rooted in American/D.C. iconography, including but not limited to the color red. The Rock the Red slogan probably should have died a while ago, but regardless of that it definitely shouldn't impact the team's ability to wear something different a handful of times a year. You can keep saying Rock the Red all you want for regular home games and make the alternate games Red, White, and Blue nights. You can do whatever you want, because what you're adhering to is basically just how they spread the word that people should start wearing new red Reebok jerseys instead of bringing all their old black and blue shit to home games.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
How do you cut out 3/4 of a post and still miss the point?

Rock the Red isn't some decades old tradition, at least not yet, it was a half catchy slogan that accompanied the switch back to red, white, and blue. You can still strongly encourage a red gameday presence, like they already do, or other teams would with a white out, but you don't need to be bound to the color through your entire run of merchandise (as already demonstrated in those pictures). You don't see a bunch of people wearing away jerseys here, there's no reason to suddenly expect that they'd get confused and start bringing the blue ones.

The Capitals brand is rooted in American/D.C. iconography, including but not limited to the color red. The Rock the Red slogan probably should have died a while ago, but regardless of that it definitely shouldn't impact the team's ability to wear something different a handful of times a year. You can keep saying Rock the Red all you want for regular home games and make the alternate games Red, White, and Blue nights. You can do whatever you want, because what you're adhering to is basically just how they spread the word that people should start wearing new red Reebok jerseys instead of bringing all their old black and blue shit to home games.
All of this.

Plus @txpd — there’s that old saying “variety is the spice of life”

LOL

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There is something to be said with consistency when branding. The switch to blue/gold was awful. Having said that switching a primary and secondary color around for a once in a while deal isn’t a big deal. I grew up loving the red/white caps well before anyone thought to yell “rock the red”
Blue and BRONZE my man. Get it right

Reactions: Corby78

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There is something to be said with consistency when branding. The switch to blue/gold was awful. Having said that switching a primary and secondary color around for a once in a while deal isn’t a big deal. I grew up loving the red/white caps well before anyone thought to yell “rock the red”
I don't disagree with general brand consistency, but there's no reason you can't keep things fresh within the parameters you've set for yourself and they aren't trotting out a highlighter orange alternate like they think this is the Premier League. An inversion of the normal colors does no more to ruin the brand than my blue Winter Classic sweatshirt does, or any of the other blue gear you can probably get right now.

edit: that was meant more in agreement than it probably sounds.

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
If they're going to use a Red theme across their presentation, the slogan makes sense.

To me, the entire expanse of the marketing and presentation feels a bit like some college freshman's final exam. Simplistic and lazy. I don't have anything better though, it's not my forté.

For the record though, it seems to work well for them. So my opinion really doesn't mean shit on the subject.

Last edited:

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
In the interest of fairness and objectiveness, and being in a better mood generally... I looked at more pictures of the Caps reverse retro and hate it less.

I still have a fundamental dislike of red as the base color, but the red I'm seeing is better than the one I saw initially.

Additionally, the colored stripes with the solid blue at the bottom help provide some colors that I prefer in a nice contrasting way.

The screaming eagle is better than the weagle and the Capitol dome, but still the lower tier of their historical logos in my mind.

Maybe it's just me preferring the look that I grew up on, but the stylized word 'Capitals' with stars is still my favorite implementation of a logo for the team.

Top left and bottom right are my favorite logos. On a predominantly white jersey.

Washington-Capitals-Logo-History.jpg

Meaningless opinions? I got em in spades. Now get off my lawn.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
An Ovie vs Crosby matchup in the SCF? A possibility this year? NHL and the refs need to push it as far as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad