Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
just as long as samsonov is recovering well and it doesnt affect his playing ability this whole story will likely be forgotten

Not telling the team speaks to his character. It makes a bad impression on his teammates. He will effect trust. He needs to man up. I am not nearly as worried about his recovery from his mystery boo boo as I was about Kempny. I am concerned about his dedication and commitment.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd do it on the cheap but I suspect someone will give him more money and opportunity. Perhaps Florida given their departures. Or BUF/NJD given their cap space.

Wayne Simmonds has a track record with Laviolette and you wonder if there's a soft market if that isn't a strong fit for both sides. Not quite the offensive game they're after but at their likely price tag I don't know who would realistically fit barring more buyouts.
Simmons has historically been one of my favorite non-Caps around the league but he just seems like a shell of his former self at this point. Not sure if that's because he's bounced around teams and hasn't found a fit but since 2015-16 these are his point totals: 60, 46, 30 (trade to NSH), 25 (signed with NJD, traded to BUF). His goal totals follow a similar pattern: 31, 24, 17, 8. Maybe his physical style of play has taken his tole and the speed of the league has passed him by.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I’m all for rolling Samsonov and Vanecek to start the year. Vanny is underrated and definitely has solid potential to be a good 1B goalie. Also, rolling with those two will help our cap structure a lot. Worst comes to worst, we trade for an experienced 1B early in the year, but, I have a feeling that both goalies are good enough to cut it for us.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, Simmonds is firmly on the downswing at this stage and no longer a top sixer. Maybe the fit is not so strong given that when Nashville acquired him he was basically a fourth-liner for Laviolette. He's at best a bigger body physical third-liner, with his style of play more of a fit than anything offensively.

Sprong & CMM are going to be hard to top in potential goal scoring per dollar. Maybe Galchenyuk in the right set-up could work on the cheap. Or Athanasiou for his speed. Or Reider for his speed and PKing, albeit a bit similar to Hagelin. Or some surprise non-qualified RFA shakes loose. The UFA options as-is from an offensive standpoint on the cheap don't appear very plentiful (and they probably shouldn't be spending much up front anyway). Given how tight things may be it could well make sense not to QO Boyd and instead chiefly rely on Sprong (and other Hershey forwards if needed, if not CMM) instead.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've long coveted Athanasiou but he gives me Chimera vibes: all speed and no hands. He had a terrific 2018-19 offensively but other than that year he always seems to leave you wanting more in terms of finish. And I don't think he's ever been able to play a full season so durability might be a concern.

I wonder what it would cost to acquire Puljujarvi. Still only 22 and put up solid numbers after heading back to Finland. Big kid, fast skater, great vision and hands... would love to acquire him and hope he could step into the 3RW role this year and ideally become our long-term Oshie replacement.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We have no idea if that's the case or not. Korn returned during the regular season to work with Holtby, and Holtby mostly continued to suck. Holtby is a notorious head case and the default explanation with him should always be that it's mental. What we know is the team's defensive play had cratered in 2017-2018. Holtby allowed more goals, lost his confidence, allowed even more. In the playoffs, he got to come in after Grubauer had failed and help save the team.

Korn is certainly said to be an incredible goalie coach, and it seems likely that Murray is not as effective as him. But beyond that, I don't see how we can tell much of anything about Murray. There are way too many other factors. Holtby may have just physically lost an edge. He may have needed the stronger defense that was in front of him during his peak years to be at that level consistently. Samsonov has said himself that the season was grueling and he was exhausted by the all-star break. That's something he would have had to work through with any coach.

Yeah too much scapegoating the goaltending coaching. Holtby has regressed....it’s age IMO and some mental stuff, but the slide has been going on for years now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The goalie market is deep this year and the flat cap/internal salary caps won’t help. I’ve long been on the “don’t close the book on Holtby” train and Tarik’s article lends credence to the theory. From a free agent perspective you probably want to avoid a long term deal right now, obviously next years cap is in question too, but at the very least you have a chance of it moving up. It makes sense for some one like Holtby to try and sign a 1-2 year deal at roughly the same price until that free agent lid blows off when the cap expands. It also doesn’t help that there are going to be a lot of decent to very good G’s available this off season.

Do I think it’s likely 70 comes back? No, it’s still a long shot. Do I see a situation where it makes sense? Yes, and i think the team and Holtby have said as much as well.

One of the big issues though is that a while back on Greg Wyshynki’s podcast it was mentioned that Holtby is very much set on being a clear #1. I think on exit interviews both Samsonov and Holtby made it clear that they’re not exactly chummy. It would take a major dynamic shift for Holtby to accept the role of mentor, I just don’t think he’s up for it. You’re probably better off signing a Craig Anderson or Lundqvist for that.

You’re willing to pay 70 his same salary for 1 year? That’s what it would take minimum IMO. I’d consider it if I’m Holtby only after going to free agency and listening to offers.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We have no idea if that's the case or not. Korn returned during the regular season to work with Holtby, and Holtby mostly continued to suck. Holtby is a notorious head case and the default explanation with him should always be that it's mental. What we know is the team's defensive play had cratered in 2017-2018. Holtby allowed more goals, lost his confidence, allowed even more. In the playoffs, he got to come in after Grubauer had failed and help save the team.

Korn is certainly said to be an incredible goalie coach, and it seems likely that Murray is not as effective as him. But beyond that, I don't see how we can tell much of anything about Murray. There are way too many other factors. Holtby may have just physically lost an edge. He may have needed the stronger defense that was in front of him during his peak years to be at that level consistently. Samsonov has said himself that the season was grueling and he was exhausted by the all-star break. That's something he would have had to work through with any coach.

Yeah it's called conditioning. Something that Korn helped a lot with Holtby/Grubauer and he's done the same now with Varlamov. Murray is still a learning goalie coach. Better off for a bottom or new expansion team. Samsonov is a great talent, but he needs to be coached to next levels, which are a #1 goalie and being geared for a long playoff run. If the Caps do sign a vet backup, then you want to maintain that vets performance and impact to taking pressure off Samsonov. An experienced goalie coach is the way to go and not allow some maybe up and comer to get better as a goalie coach. I'll add, the Caps hyped up Scott Murray like he was some diamond in the ruff goalie coach. He was mentored by Korn, but I'm just not seeing that pay off. Caps are still going for another Cup, so experienced coaches are necessary. I thought we learned that these past two frustrating seasons?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah too much scapegoating the goaltending coaching. Holtby has regressed....it’s age IMO and some mental stuff, but the slide has been going on for years now.
Physically Holtby is fine. He's been by far one of the most durable #1 goalies the last 5 years or so. His mental game is his problem right now. I also feel he needs to make some mechanical adjustments to help revive his career. In regard to his mental troubles, playing for a new team and having a new goalie coach would do him a lot of good. Life in general, you can't dwell too much on the past. If you do you fall behind. Time to move on for Holtby.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Not telling the team speaks to his character. It makes a bad impression on his teammates. He will effect trust. He needs to man up. I am not nearly as worried about his recovery from his mystery boo boo as I was about Kempny. I am concerned about his dedication and commitment.
You know Samsonov is only 23, right? When we were that age, a good deal of us made some bad decisions. Samsonov is not the first 23 year old NHL'er to make a mistake and he certainly won't be the last.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not looking to get rid of Panik any time soon. He started slow but he had 22 points in 59 games, all at 5v5 (tied with Nick Backstrom). Not fantastic but on a per 60 basis he was 4th on the team in scoring. The underlying numbers are solid too and it's not like his production should be expected to drop any time soon. Not guaranteeing he'll be the next Connolly but Connolly did follow a similar track during his first season before breaking out in his second season in DC.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm not looking to get rid of Panik any time soon. He started slow but he had 22 points in 59 games, all at 5v5. Not fantastic but on a per 60 basis he was 4th on the team in scoring. The underlying numbers are solid too and it's not like his production should be expected to drop any time soon. Not guaranteeing he'll be the next Connolly but Connolly did follow a similar track during his first season before breaking out in his second season in DC.
Connolly was just offense on that 3rd line, as he basically provided nothing else. Panik appears to be a better 2-way and skating forward.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Connolly was just offense on that 3rd line, as he basically provided nothing else. Panik appears to be a better 2-way and skating forward.

Sure, which is another reason I'd rather hold on to him for this season unless a clear upgrade elsewhere in the roster necessitates him moving for cap reasons. Even then I think I'd prefer to move Hagelin instead of Panik.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Panik started out weak but has been steadily improving during his time with Caps and is 3 years younger than Hagelin, more likely to keep up his level of play than him.

My candidates to trade if we want to clear roster space/cap are Kempny and Hagelin. If we want to do some big shakeup trade I would at least look at what market for trading Kuznetsov is like.

Reactions: searle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You know Samsonov is only 23, right? When we were that age, a good deal of us made some bad decisions. Samsonov is not the first 23 year old NHL'er to make a mistake and he certainly won't be the last.

Right. And? I said I was concerned. I said I was more concerned about is make up than his injury. Concern is not a prediction. That said, should the Caps get elimanted because their goalie was making bad personal life decisions, would you really be saying its cool. Cut him some slack. He's young???

Are mistakes part of being young and typical? Yes. Is typical young man responsible for tending goal for a $500m business? No. Some young guys need Brooks Orpik more than others

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, which is another reason I'd rather hold on to him for this season unless a clear upgrade elsewhere in the roster necessitates him moving for cap reasons. Even then I think I'd prefer to move Hagelin instead of Panik.

something we agree on. Panik is finally somewhat settled IMO. I plan on him contributing more next year.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Physically Holtby is fine. He's been by far one of the most durable #1 goalies the last 5 years or so. His mental game is his problem right now. I also feel he needs to make some mechanical adjustments to help revive his career. In regard to his mental troubles, playing for a new team and having a new goalie coach would do him a lot of good. Life in general, you can't dwell too much on the past. If you do you fall behind. Time to move on for Holtby.

durable and slowed reflexes/decision-making are not the same.....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Caps PK jumped from 24th to 6th in the league and the leading shtoi forward was Hagelin. I am not commenting on Panik one way or the other, but I would be stunned if the Caps walked away from Hagelin.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I've long coveted Athanasiou but he gives me Chimera vibes: all speed and no hands. He had a terrific 2018-19 offensively but other than that year he always seems to leave you wanting more in terms of finish. And I don't think he's ever been able to play a full season so durability might be a concern.

I wonder what it would cost to acquire Puljujarvi. Still only 22 and put up solid numbers after heading back to Finland. Big kid, fast skater, great vision and hands... would love to acquire him and hope he could step into the 3RW role this year and ideally become our long-term Oshie replacement.
Id definitely be down for acquiring Pulj if it doesnt cost a whole lot. Low risk high reward, not sure I'd be willing to pay a first but he's something to look into

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not looking to get rid of Panik any time soon. He started slow but he had 22 points in 59 games, all at 5v5 (tied with Nick Backstrom). Not fantastic but on a per 60 basis he was 4th on the team in scoring. The underlying numbers are solid too and it's not like his production should be expected to drop any time soon. Not guaranteeing he'll be the next Connolly but Connolly did follow a similar track during his first season before breaking out in his second season in DC.
I want Panik at 3LW and Hags at 4LW. 3RW is the hole they need to solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->