Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 4: Nobody Panik!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm hoping that the Seattle expansion bump figures significantly into the 2021 salary cap so that keeping around a couple of Caps legends shouldn't be a problem.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm hoping that the Seattle expansion bump figures significantly into the 2021 salary cap so that keeping around a couple of Caps legends shouldn't be a problem.

I am pretty confident that the team will tell both guys what they can afford to pay them and have enough room to keep the team together and competitive. I believe that both guys will get every cent allowed. I think its possible that both guys end up with a piece of the team when they retire.

Reactions: searle and tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
... And Seattle offers 5x15M$ to Ovechkin.

Ryan-Reynolds-But-why.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If Ov threatens 50 goals again this season, it would be tough to imagine him signing a $7m contract.

Ovie should just write a number on a piece of paper and get it to be honest. He has earned it.

One thing I worry about though is Ovie has an agent now, unless his agent is just a marketing agent. If Ovie will be negotiating his own contract again I feel good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie should just write a number on a piece of paper and get it to be honest. He has earned it.

One thing I worry about though is Ovie has an agent now, unless his agent is just a marketing agent. If Ovie will be negotiating his own contract again I feel good.

I would expect that Ov has an agent for his endorsements. His contract I expect he will negotiate himself. The money out of his contract an agent would get would buy a solid defenseman if saved to the salary cap.

Again, my expectation is that Ovechkin will get a series of sitdowns with Fishman who will go over projections in the salary cap for the league and the status of roster construction. He will be shown what they think they will be able to pay him and keep a quality team around him. I suppose it would come down to Ov deciding how much salary cap he wants to take. I am confident that Leonsis will authorize whatever Ov wants and the result will be Ov wanting what is good for the team overall.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't be totally shocked if Ovie does some kind of corny $8.888M thing, like Crosby's $8.7M contract. I wouldn't bet on it, either, but it's the one possibility I could see for him coming in at a team-friendly cap hit.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Probably the best case scenario for Ovie is that he gets an extension at the current cap hit. Any diminishing ability is probably more than offset by rising cap and salaries in his mind, and he has his pride. IF he stays in the NHL, I'm guessing it'll be something like $10 million x 3 years.

Backstrom is more interesting. He definitely gets a raise, but he's also getting into the late stages of his career. He's probably going to be more concerned with term. Something like $8 million x 7 years, maybe??

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Isn't it obvious?

Look at how important it was for Vegas to have a recognizable face in MAF... Ovechkin is 10 times bigger.

Ok....

ryan-reynolds-but-why-gif.250567

$15 million AAV for 5 years for 35 year old Ovechkin in their first year of existence

Reactions: racingmoose

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ok....

ryan-reynolds-but-why-gif.250567

$15 million AAV for 5 years for 35 year old Ovechkin in their first year of existence
LOL, I can see the team offering $10 - 11M x 3 years though. The expansion draft projection doesn't have a lot of goal scorers, and a whole bunch of defensively responsible forwards, Ovy's primary job both ES and PP would be to float around the circle waiting for a shot (like Brett Hull with the Wings).

Season tickets sold out the second day, I fully expect the team to spend to the salary cap. There's no basketball team to compete against either.

More than likely the team gets a scorer in UFA, if not Ovy then someone else...

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Isn't it obvious?

Look at how important it was for Vegas to have a recognizable face in MAF... Ovechkin is 10 times bigger.
If Seattle were to emulate Vegas’s plan it wouldn’t be signing a UFA for a 10 figure AAV, they’d try to weaponize their cap space for assets.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Seattle were to emulate Vegas’s plan it wouldn’t be signing a UFA for a 10 figure AAV, they’d try to weaponize their cap space for assets.
Absolutely, they'll try. But the general consensus is that GMs aren't going to get suckered again. UFA would be the backup plan in case the team doesn't pick up enough scorers through deals.

I think there's a lot of opportunities for Seattle to pick extra defensemen and flip them for forwards. I think it's a better path forward so that the team doesn't end up with cap space issues down the road like Vegas. It will be an interesting draft again.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Alexeyev is a blue-chip prospect, but, I am beginning to feel the same way about Fehérváry after this past season and development camp. I actually think that he's more NHL ready than AA too. What a steal of a draft pick MF was.

Those two are going to be household names on our blueline for years to come!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Seattle is gunning for a marketable name from the Capitals, it would be Everett native and Seattle Seahawks fan TJ Oshie.
Absolutely, but that would require a trade whereas Ovy's contract ends in 2021. I doubt the Caps trade TJ, unless he asks for it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Based on MAF this would require the Caps sending Seattle compensation
Goalies are different, Pittsburgh decided to go with Murray and you don't need two #1 goalies. MAF was overpaid for what he showed the previous season, Vegas had cheaper options with Grubauer and Mrazek so the Pens bribed GMGM to pick MAF.

TJ has a reasonable contract, there's no need to add anything. If TJ is left unprotected, Seattle will take him. That might actually work out well for both teams, would open up some salary cap space for the Caps. All of the hockey fans around here (WA state) knows who TJ is, he's already got a fan base.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hard to say if it would require compensation at this point. It's still two seasons away. A lot can change between now and then, both with how Oshie looks and what other players are left unprotected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->