Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 4: Nobody Panik!

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have a feeling Dowd will end the season on the third line with Panik and Hagelin/Vrana. Is it only me?

Not taking it.
2402-JMW-Cast-SkagitRiver-920x480-920x480.jpg

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps, Rags and Devils in Metro.
Looks like Pens is gonna miss Play-Offs.

I wouldn't hold your breathe. Crosby, Kristopher Letang, and Malkin will be enough to get them over the hump.

Really hope Gusev isn't another Shipachyov... A team with Hall, Hughes, Gusev, Hischier and Subban could be a lot of fun to watch.

I hope he fails spectacularly as he is in the Caps division.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Crosby, Kristopher Letang, and Malkin will be enough to get them over the hump.

I hope he fails spectacularly as he is in the Caps division.

Gusev is almost a sure thing to be an impact top 6 forward IMO. He's been arguably better than Panarin was in the KHL and there's no reason to think his success won't translate to the NHL.

I'm still confused why Vegas didn't make room for him.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Metro is such a toss up after the Caps. And I don't even want to say the Caps are a shoo-in either, with so many variables.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada

Though, they need to work more in the regular season than before.

One of the reason might be because of his softness. Great addition when you want to make playoffs, but it's not Knights problem.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
One of the reason might be because of his softness. Great addition when you want to make playoffs, but it's not Knights problem.

I don’t think you throw away a top asset for peanuts just because he could be soft, especially when Vegas has shown to be a contender now.

I might be higher on him than most but I’d be shocked if Gusev isn’t a 55+ point player in NJ. Those don’t grow on trees.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Gusev is almost a sure thing to be an impact top 6 forward IMO. He's been arguably better than Panarin was in the KHL and there's no reason to think his success won't translate to the NHL.

Maybe because they got to know the player?

Reactions: Calicaps

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017

Isn't his skating said to be a potential issue for a guy his size?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I might be higher on him than most but I’d be shocked if Gusev isn’t a 55+ point player in NJ. Those don’t grow on trees.
You're absolutely not. 55 points should be easy for him.
P.S. I'd love to have him on Caps tbh. With so many Russians in the team, Caps could easily get gems from KHL with discounts.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
You're absolutely not. 55 points should be easy for him.
P.S. I'd love to have him on Caps tbh. With so many Russians in the team, Caps could easily get gems from KHL with discounts.
You have to have a coach with generational leadership skills like T to have many russian stars on your team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yea, pretty clear that the roster had a hole in it. No contingency plan for one of the top 4 left d going down. They had no answer for Kempny being out. Had they had the bite of the season before or had Oshie been there for to bring and inspire some bite, they would have won the first round. Its also true that Kuzy could have carried them to a win they didn't get. Same is true of Holtby.

Djoos was the chosen one, while Siggy our best bet as a 2LD fill in was stuck in the minors. Djoos's severe injury likely slowed him but then maybe he should have been shelved longer.

Carlson at LD was a disaster as was Djoos anywhere. Todd really fumbled the D. A cup grade team should be able to survive one injury on D. Just 1 injury.

I think Holts saw holes in the D and it put too much pressure on him and knocked him off his game, if even just a tad. A tad is what decides playoff games.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I personally don't think that Nicky and Ovi are going to break the bank to stay in DC. They've made so much money throughout their careers and love it in Washington. This team will also be competitive - at the least - for the next few years. Why fix what isn't broken? Also, I think they realize that it'd be better to secure term - with lower $AAV cap hits - to be able to keep improving the team. Neither player seems like the type to want to play at the point when their game falls off a cliff and I wouldn't worry about giving either long-term contracts. Having said that, Ovi will be on a 35+ contract, so we definitely need to take into account that factor, although I don't see him f***ing over the team.

Regardless, take deep breaths and rest assured that Nicky and Ovi ain't going anywhere!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Djoos was the chosen one, while Siggy our best bet as a 2LD fill in was stuck in the minors. Djoos's severe injury likely slowed him but then maybe he should have been shelved longer.

Carlson at LD was a disaster as was Djoos anywhere. Todd really fumbled the D. A cup grade team should be able to survive one injury on D. Just 1 injury.

I think Holts saw holes in the D and it put too much pressure on him and knocked him off his game, if even just a tad. A tad is what decides playoff games.

Holts has been off his game for 90% of the last two seasons... I think this is his game now.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holts has been off his game for 90% of the last two seasons... I think this is his game now.

I think that benching him or resting him was a good thing. We always heard he wanted or needed a heavy workload. I call bunk on that. He was benched to start the playoffs and we finally secured a cup. It's was probably not a coincidence.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->