Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If they do force the season to play it out regardless of how many players get sick, I can't wait for the controversy when a Crosby/Panarin/MacKinnon/McDavid-level player is held out of a series due to testing positive, and their team loses. Or a starting goalie. Fingers crossed it's not Ovechkin.

Any resumption of the season is going to be a farce, one way or another.

I am not sure that I get any of this. The NHL isn't going to force play regardless of how many players get sick. There isn't a chance that the NHLPA would allow that. Meanwhile a well run playoffs isn't anything close to a farce. Suggesting that it would be doesn't make sense. Could play be damaged by infections? Yes. Could enough damage ruin the play? Yes. Was Sundays NASCAR race at Darlington a farce? Hell no. Would trying to play an NHL playoffs be a gamble? Yes. Would it be a joke? Hell no

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Seemingly they'll just keep playing and testing if/when that happens. It's the behind the scenes staff I'd be more concerned about. Also, what happens if a coach gets it? What if a whole coaching staff gets wiped out?

There are so many vulnerabilities that any league resuming for more than a couple dozen games just to cap off a regular season seems very difficult. A true bubble isn't really feasible.

Dr Fauci has said that one or two players could be managed. A team was 4 players though would have to be taken down. Seems in line with what Daly said. I think its still very unclear what can be and what is willing to be done.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The only reason I brought up my point that restarting the league up now would be unprecedented was to shoot down the argument that this would be anything even remotely close to the Devils and Blackhawks lockout-shortened Cup wins. That's it. Those Cups have way more of a legitimacy than whatever crazy cooked-up gimmick the league ends up doing this season.

And yes, I deem the quality of play is important in that it is important to the legitimacy of any championship - especially for the top hockey league in the whole world. And whoever wins a 24 team tournament (this is like winning the yearly IIHF World Championship - and who really cares about that???) will always have naysayers that it's not a real Cup.

I mean if this happens, it happens, and lets go win the f***ing thing. But, it's not a real NHL season. It's just a figment of the imagination. Just because the league is doing something unprecedented, that part will never change. And if it's for just an imaginary Cup, I don't know if it really is worth the risk.

Edit: And how would you even use the stats from this 24 team tournament? Would you just add points to players' playoff totals from normal years?

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Those Cups have way more of a legitimacy than whatever crazy cooked-up gimmick the league ends up doing this season.

Its like the only option they have is a crazy, cooked up gimmick. Its either no changes or its a crazy gimmick with no room in between. I will let the actual plan inform me as to whether its legit or a gimmick.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Why isn't it a real season? All teams still played 68+ before the season was suspended. 24 of those teams are going to get additional games in to determine playoff seeding, including Washington being able to battle it out for a chance at winning the division.

It's not a 24 team tournament in terms of 24 teams are in the playoffs. The 24 team tournament that was proposed is to determine seeding and which 16 teams make the actual playoffs. It means that teams clearly in the playoffs when the season was suspended, Washington, Boston, TB, Philly, etc. in the East, get some games in to get their feet wet before the official playoffs start. It means that bubble and wild card teams that were battling it out for the 7th and 8th seed are allowed the opportunity to still "be in the hunt" for those coveted playoff spots and aren't automatically eliminated based on current standings. That format allows players to increase their quality of play before the postseason begins. The layoff allows for players to come in as healthy as they can be at this point.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Its like the only option they have is a crazy, cooked up gimmick. Its either no changes or its a crazy gimmick with no room in between. I will let the actual plan inform me as to whether its legit or a gimmick.

Why isn't it a real season? All teams still played 68+ before the season was suspended. 24 of those teams are going to get additional games in to determine playoff seeding, including Washington being able to battle it out for a chance at winning the division.

It's not a 24 team tournament in terms of 24 teams are in the playoffs. The 24 team tournament that was proposed is to determine seeding and which 16 teams make the actual playoffs. It means that teams clearly in the playoffs when the season was suspended, Washington, Boston, TB, Philly, etc. in the East, get some games in to get their feet wet before the official playoffs start. It means that bubble and wild card teams that were battling it out for the 7th and 8th seed are allowed the opportunity to still "be in the hunt" for those coveted playoff spots and aren't automatically eliminated based on current standings. That format allows players to increase their quality of play before the postseason begins. The layoff allows for players to come in as healthy as they can be at this point.

If this is not like how the real playoffs are - it's a gimmick.

It's a gimmick that people would willingly eat up in our sports-starved current state of affairs, but it's still a gimmick.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

It's a gimmick that people would eat up in our sports-starved current state of affairs, but it's still a gimmick.

What about it makes it a gimmick? MLB has a play in wild card game now. Gimmick? Nats championship suffers as a result? You think the NBA will not make adjustments for conditions?

Just calling it names doesn't help me understand your definition of gimmick. For me if they played the games 3 on 3, it would be a gimmick.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
What about it makes it a gimmick? MLB has a play in wild card game now. Gimmick? Nats championship suffers as a result? You think the NBA will not make adjustments for conditions?

Just calling it names doesn't help me understand your definition of gimmick. For me if they played the games 3 on 3, it would be a gimmick.

The MLB play in wild card game is something that will occur every year from this day forward.

Will the NHL's gimmick be something that will happen every year after this season? Or just this one single time. That is the definition of a gimmick.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

It's a gimmick that people would willingly eat up in our sports-starved current state of affairs, but it's still a gimmick.
But it is like the real playoffs. They still are going to have a full 16 team playoff once the seedings are determined.

Teams would play five games in nine days against their divisional opponents. The NHL would then use a percentage of the points accumulated in the round-robin portion and the regular season to seed the playoffs, with the top two teams receiving a bye. The Nos. 3-6 seeds in each division would then play best-of-three series to determine which teams would advance to the standard 16-team format, which would be played as normal.

Report: NHL, NHLPA 'Making Progress' on 24-Team Stanley Cup Playoffs for Return

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
But it is like the real playoffs. They still are going to have a full 16 team playoff once the seedings are determined.

Report: NHL, NHLPA 'Making Progress' on 24-Team Stanley Cup Playoffs for Return

I'll still watch. I want the Caps back as much as anyone and i'll be right here with all of you guys screaming out I loveeeeeee youuuuuuuuuu to any Caps player that scores - gimmick or not.

Just saying that I'm not sure it's a good idea with the risks involved. If it was up to me (and yes it's not!), I would just call it a lost season and start anew. You know, all legitimately-like. :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The MLB play in wild card game is something that will occur every year from this day forward.

Will the NHL's gimmick be something that will happen every year after this season? Or just this one single time. That is the definition of a gimmick.

Gimmick: a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
So you are saying that if the league makes any adjustment for the unique conditions that its a trick? That it cant be the way that the participants agreed that its the most fair process given the conditions. So...if they played at a neutral sight for one time only, gimmick? If they played without fans for the only time, gimmick? I don't see it that way, but ok

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Gimmick: a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
So you are saying that if the league makes any adjustment for the unique conditions that its a trick? That it cant be the way that the participants agreed that its the most fair process given the conditions. So...if they played at a neutral sight for one time only, gimmick? If they played without fans for the only time, gimmick? I don't see it that way, but ok

Neutral site.. no fans.. those are just trappings.. not changing the actual format.

You were much closer with your 3 vs 3 mention.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'll still watch. I want the Caps back as much as anyone and i'll be right here with all of you guys screaming out I loveeeeeee youuuuuuuuuu to any Caps player that scores - gimmick or not.

Just saying that I'm not sure it's a good idea with the risks involved. If it was up to me (and yes it's not!), I would just call it a lost season and start anew. You know, all legitimately-like. :D

There is a case to be made that its not worth the risks. I would reject the idea that if they take the risks to play, the games themselves are bullshit. Gimmick=Bullshit. I can make a fair case that this cup playoffs might be the hardest ever to win.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Neutral site.. no fans.. those are just trappings.. not changing the actual format.

You were much closer with your 3 vs 3 mention.

Neutral site and no fans are not just trappings. They effect the games in a tangible way. Some more than others, but some teams have a significant advantage in front of their home crowd or playing in front of a hostile road crowd. The Capitals are one of those teams.

I am guessing then that you think that the MLB proposed plan of realignment for the season to cut down on travel risks is a gimmick?
They are also adjusting their playoff format

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
There is a case to be made that its not worth the risks. I would reject the idea that if they take the risks to play, the games themselves are bullshit. Gimmick=Bullshit. I can make a fair case that this cup playoffs might be the hardest ever to win.

Like any risk management, you weigh the benefits against the risks. Thats all. The chance of winning a Cup that will be forever marked as not a "real Cup" vs the risk of real people getting sick. And the public fallout from that.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like any risk management, you weigh the benefits against the risks. Thats all. The benefit of winning a Cup that will be forever marked as not a "real Cup" vs real people getting sick. And the public fallout from that.

winning a Cup that will be forever marked as not a "real Cup". Come on dude. There is NO WAY, that is even close to a majority opinion. SMH

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Neutral site and no fans are not just trappings. They effect the games in a tangible way. Some more than others, but some teams have a significant advantage in front of their home crowd or playing in front of a hostile road crowd. The Capitals are one of those teams.

I am guessing then that you think that the MLB proposed plan of realignment for the season to cut down on travel risks is a gimmick?
They are also adjusting their playoff format

Well at least the MLB's postseason will be exactly the same number of games in a series with the same number team placements that happens right after the regular season. Thats the most important part. Yes homefield/ice makes a difference. Or does it in hockey? That really makes no changes in the fundamentals in determining how a championship is won.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
winning a Cup that will be forever marked as not a "real Cup". Come on dude. There is NO WAY, that is even close to a majority opinion. SMH

So you think this Cup will be considered anywhere near as legitimate as all the other Cups by the majority of the public?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Well at least the MLB's postseason will be exactly the same number of games in a series with the same number team placements that happens right after the regular season. Thats the most important part. Yes homefield/ice makes a difference. Or does it in hockey? That really makes no changes in the fundamentals in determining how a championship is won.
Baseball already announced in expanded playoffs this season

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Baseball already announced in expanded playoffs this season

I think it's still in the proposal phase right now, but it could very well happen. But that's a change to the playoff format that will be implemented every year in the MLB. Not just a one time thing. If it happens, that will be MLB's true playoff structure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This from Forbes yesterday
The figures do not include an expanded postseason format, which is being considered.

The changes to the league structure and the playoff formats are not locked in as permanent changes. I think its possible to likely that all the sports may investigate some changes that they can try and walk away from if they don't like them and keep them if they do.

So that I understand you, if the NHL adjusts its playoff format, its a gimmick. If they like it and keep it, then the next one isn't a gimmick?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So you think this Cup will be considered anywhere near as legitimate as all the other Cups by the majority of the public?

Like I said before. I will judge this stuff when the producted is decided and announced. Would I consider it anywhere near legit? Hell, yes. That is sideration not conclusion. If they expand or reduce the playoff format because of available conditions, I would not use that to delegitimize the championship anymore than playing at a neutral site.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
This from Forbes yesterday
The figures do not include an expanded postseason format, which is being considered.

The changes to the league structure and the playoff formats are not locked in as permanent changes. I think its possible to likely that all the sports may investigate some changes that they can try and walk away from if they don't like them and keep them if they do.

So that I understand you, if the NHL adjusts its playoff format, its a gimmick. If they like it and keep it, then the next one isn't a gimmick?

Actually nah, I just read that the MLB are planning to perhaps shorten the season to possibly as low as 44 games (from 162!) and have an expanded baseball playoffs because they want to recoup money lost from having no fans during regular season games by selling playoff ticket money later on. So everyone gets playoff ticket money. You get playoff ticket money, you get playoff ticket money, everyone gets playoff ticket money!! Even the mediocre teams!

They want to shorten the regular season as much as possible - so the less no-fan-paying-games they will have.

You are right. That is the very definition of a gimmick.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Actually nah, I just read that the MLB are planning to perhaps shorten the season to 44 games (from 162!) and have an expanded baseball playoffs because they want to recoup money lost from having no fans during regular season games by selling playoff ticket money later on. So everyone gets playoff ticket money. You get playoff ticket money, you get playoff ticket money, and you get playoff ticket money! Even the mediocre teams.

They want to shorten the regular season as much as possible - so the less no-fan-paying-games they will have.

You are right. That is the very definition of a gimmick.

There are very likely to be permanent changes that result from this that you are not going to like. I can see it now.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Playoff ticket money? All the games are going to be empty arena games. If they make any extra money it would be from the TV deals and advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad