Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Interesting about how candid Gudas is/can be. I am surprised that he came out and said it right out front, but, he's realistic. And, it wasn't in anyway to take a shot at the team. Thoughts?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
From what i have been able to find on internet (obviously nothing is confirmed)

Here's what that would potentially entail, according to Sportsnet's Mark Spector:
  • Four league cities (presumably spread across the United States and Canada) would host division-based playoff "tournaments"
  • Each of the league's four divisions would be assigned a city (or hub), with the top six teams from each division qualifying for the postseason and reporting to their respective hub
  • Each division's No. 1 and No. 2 seeds would play each other (best-of-three series) to decide a division winner
  • Each division's No. 3 seed would play the No. 6 seed, while the No. 4 would face No. 5 in a best-of-three for the right to keep playing
  • That would leave four remaining playoff qualifiers from each division (16 total playoff teams) and a seeding structure to play a more traditional Stanley Cup playoff tournament
So it would be

Best-of-three matchups:
  • Capitals vs. Flyers (division title)
  • Penguins vs. Blue Jackets (elimination series)
  • Hurricanes vs. Islanders (elimination series)
At the conclusion of this format, there would be four teams remaining in each division (including a division champion) and a clean eight teams per conference.

So it looks like capitals and flyers don't get eliminated in round 1 and both advance regardless

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
So we could play the flyers in a 3 games series and then face them again in the division finals. That won’t end in a blood bath

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't really get all of the people complaining about this format. It should be a ton of fun and we get hockey back. Who cares if it's not the normal format of 16 teams... nothing about 2020 is at all normal. Plus, more fans are invested since more teams are relevant. I'm also not familiar with the TV deal structure but could a few extra games bring in more revenue which could increase the cap next year?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It seems unlikely next year's cap could be driven toward an increased based on anything but the NHLPA's inflator and a continued reliance on escrow. They're going to have to reach some sort of agreement so that teams aren't crushed under any decline scenario.

Whether it's a play-in round or round robin or whatever it's going to be a bit odd to have immediate high stakes games. It adds to the intrigue but the sloppiness will be significant barring at least some tune-up exhibitions or something.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

The longer this pause in the season lasts, the more I agree with Gudas. I miss the hockey, but I think the NHL is trying to bail out the Titanic with a coffee mug. Once someone or multiple people test positive after playing a game....yeah stick a cork in it. Also, any contrived playoff scenario will leave an asterisk on the cup. Not worth it.

And yes:

tenor.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The longer this pause in the season lasts, the more I agree with Gudas. I miss the hockey, but I think the NHL is trying to bail out the Titanic with a coffee mug. Once someone or multiple people test positive after playing a game....yeah stick a cork in it. Also, any contrived playoff scenario will leave an asterisk on the cup. Not worth it.

And yes:

tenor.gif

I agree, and have been thinking the same for awhile now.

The 24 team tournament, while probably fun to watch, is nothing more than a glorified exhibition for a Cup* that will never be held to the standards of other Cups. That's not worth the potential harms to health and body from both Covid-19 and injuries from not playing hockey in months.

I think they should treat this season like a lost one unfortunately, like a strike-shortened one.

Baseball, soccer, football and other leagues might be able to get away with playing, but that's because they just or will start to begin a fresh new season. Not take a multiple month hiatus near the end of it.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I agree, and have been thinking the same for awhile now.

The 24 team tournament, while probably fun to watch, is nothing more than a glorified exhibition for a Cup* that will never be held to the standards of other Cups. That's not worth the potential harms to health and body from both Covid-19 and injuries from not playing hockey in months.

I think they should treat this season like a lost one unfortunately, like a strike-shortened one.

Baseball, soccer, football and other leagues might be able to get away with playing, but that's because they just or will start to begin a fresh new season. Not take a multiple month hiatus near the end of it.

I just don't buy this. Do you value Cups won during lockout years any less than ones won during a normal season? Are the 1994-95 New Jersey Devils or the 2012-13 Blackhawks thought of as less deserving champions because those regular seasons only lasted ~40 regular season games? This year, the teams played almost an entire season's worth of games so I don't think it's at all like a strike-shortened season and I think it makes more sense to crown a champion this year than to scrap it and hope we can play a full season next year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I just don't buy this. Do you value Cups won during lockout years any less than ones won during a normal season? Are the 1994-95 New Jersey Devils or the 2012-13 Blackhawks thought of as less deserving champions because those regular seasons only lasted ~40 regular season games? This year, the teams played almost an entire season's worth of games so I don't think it's at all like a strike-shortened season and I think it makes more sense to crown a champion this year than to scrap it and hope we can play a full season next year.

Was going to bring up those two years. I don't get the asterisk arguments unless there's some real hijinx that leaves out the top teams or excludes a team that should have made it. We have about 85% of the season played and plenty of time to establish who's good enough for a playoff. Maybe a Rona Cup is a bit different from years past but it's still going to be the same teams competing on a presumably level sheet of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad