Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It's not going to be long until Dillon finds his permanent spot on the 3rd pair. This acquisition really didn't do what it was supposed to do. He is way to slow to be playing top pair. He also compensates for his lack of foot speed by taking a dubious amount of penalties.

To this point, I don't see anything that Dillon does that Siegenthaler cannot do just as well. It's very strange to see Jensen demoted after a long run of very strong play.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Moving Kuzy should probably get a decent haul, assuming it happens sooner rather than later.
Will he return a relatively durable 70 point C with a Conn Smythe level playoffs under his belt on a reasonable contract?

This team had a hole at 2C for the first half of Ovie's career. Let's not open that up again. If CMM lights the world on fire in the pros then great, but until then I don't see how they get better by moving Kuzy.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I'm convinced at this point that TR is just starting to get desperate for something to click. He probably recognizes that long funks like this team is having is unacceptable. But who knows, maybe he knows more than we do /shrug

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Will he return a relatively durable 70 point C with a Conn Smythe level playoffs under his belt on a reasonable contract?

This team had a hole at 2C for the first half of Ovie's career. Let's not open that up again. If CMM lights the world on fire in the pros then great, but until then I don't see how they get better by moving Kuzy.
Kuznetsov has been nowhere near as good as he was in the cup run. His defense has been absolutely god awful and his offense seems to be trending down. Sure he has a good number of points but his possession metrics are the worst on the team and that is definitely is an area of concern for someone making 7.8 million dollars

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know which of those I expect...

I'd be a lot more interested, given Jensen's performance lately, in trying Dillon with Jensen and, as with their trailing go-to plan, loading up with Orlov & Carlson. If it's their go-to then why not just run with it? Shrug. No one is going to make Carlson right again but the man himself.

Just as no one configuration at this point is going to magically slide everything in place. It's more likely to be about team defense and generally finding a better rhythm and emphasis on things they've consistently managed to do well. Shortly they'll just need to come to terms with the areas they struggle with, live with them and try to focus more constructively on being the best somewhat mediocre team among many. There's no real power house out there and they need to primarily concern themselves with what a run for them is likely to resemble (ie. probably not lockdown defense).

I mean realistically we all should expect elimination, but who knows?

I think if these pairs flounder, you could very well see your preferred test pairs at some point. It’s clear they like Orlov to carry his own pair and probably rightly so, but why not try it?

I still do think some pairs could just “magically” click and put together a Cup worthy run of good play. Confidence is a fickle but powerful thing.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I know which of those I expect...

I'd be a lot more interested, given Jensen's performance lately, in trying Dillon with Jensen and, as with their trailing go-to plan, loading up with Orlov & Carlson. If it's their go-to then why not just run with it? Shrug. No one is going to make Carlson right again but the man himself.

Just as no one configuration at this point is going to magically slide everything in place. It's more likely to be about team defense and generally finding a better rhythm and emphasis on things they've consistently managed to do well. Shortly they'll just need to come to terms with the areas they struggle with, live with them and try to focus more constructively on being the best somewhat mediocre team among many. There's no real power house out there and they need to primarily concern themselves with what a run for them is likely to resemble (ie. probably not lockdown defense).

This makes sense, a lot more sense than moving Orlov to play on the wrong side. That's such a waste of everybody's time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All the "it would be better to do X" is fine. Maybe they will also try those things. Assuming they won't doesn't make a lot of sense either. Dillon seemed pretty good at first. Lowering his QOC might help him settle in. And as for Jensen, rather than a demotion, I'd view this as giving him a chance to be a force against less skill opposition, building a third pair that can play more ES minutes, and simultaneously, managing the minutes of two of their key PK d-men (34 & 3).

Conversely, Dillon and Orlov might work as a shut-down pair. TBD.

Kempny wants to find his game. The team wants him to find his game. Carlson has looked like hot poo lately. Change it up and put them back together to see if they can rekindle their prior magic. Why the hell not?

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
All the "it would be better to do X" is fine. Maybe they will also try those things. Assuming they won't doesn't make a lot of sense either. Dillon seemed pretty good at first. Lowering his QOC might help him settle in. And as for Jensen, rather than a demotion, I'd view this as giving him a chance to be a force against less skill opposition, building a third pair that can play more ES minutes, and simultaneously, managing the minutes of two of their key PK d-men (34 & 3).

Conversely, Dillon and Orlov might work as a shut-down pair. TBD.

Kempny wants to find his game. The team wants him to find his game. Carlson has looked like hot poo lately. Change it up and put them back together to see if they can rekindle their prior magic. Why the hell not?

Lol, no offense Cali. I just laughed at your last part because it made me think of when someone in a show or movie always say

"What could possibly go wrong?".

Everything. Everything can go wrong :laugh:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The thing with Dillon and Jensen is they both did look kinda good at first (not Dillon for me but whatever) and both slowly turned into what they actually are as time passed by. Maclellan can't pick the right D to trade for to save his life. Not even talking about Gudas, he has looked pathetic last couple of months to put it kindly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Recall that in 2018 Gruby was outplaying Holtby down the stretch and got the start for the first 2 games vs Cbus. Then Holtby came in and carried them to the Cup.

TR has been shuffling. Can anyone remember similar experimentation by Trotz throughout that season, before settling on lines for the playoffs? I may be wrong but I believe he did, and then tried to get things in place a few games before the postseason. Maybe TR is taking a similar approach.

They probably will be in, so may as well throw as much spaghetti against the wall as possible, then settle into the best combos for the last 3-4 games and hope to catch fire again.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The thing with Dillon and Jensen is they both did look kinda good at first (not Dillon for me but whatever) and both slowly turned into what they actually are as time passed by. Maclellan can't pick the right D to trade for to save his life. Not even talking about Gudas, he has looked pathetic last couple of months to put it kindly.

Pretty funny. Orpik, Nisky and Kempny were all brought in by BMac and raised a Cup together. Jensen appears to be rounding into form. Dillon is as advertised, his sample size is too low to make a final determination, and TR is still trying to find the right pairing for him. So its not exactly true that he "can't pick the D to save his life". His hit rate is probably well above average, probably near the top in the league overall, when looking at ALL the various acquisitions.

But as is your nature, please continue to focus only on the negatives.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's not going to be long until Dillon finds his permanent spot on the 3rd pair. This acquisition really didn't do what it was supposed to do. He is way to slow to be playing top pair. He also compensates for his lack of foot speed by taking a dubious amount of penalties.

To this point, I don't see anything that Dillon does that Siegenthaler cannot do just as well. It's very strange to see Jensen demoted after a long run of very strong play.
No. Dillon isn’t moving. He has been on pairings with two other Norris winners. He’s a good defenseman who came at a time everyone - especially his partner have been doing bad. Carlson defensively has been worse than Dillon.

Siegenthsler does nothing as well as Dillon. We can just hope Dillon gets more comfortable and chemistry is better with him and Carlson. Zero chance Dillon is moving down for Siegs tho.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson isn't comfortable with Dillon. That is part of his trouble. Not sure what you mean by Dillon and Siegenthaler do nothing

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I know it's wrong but I really want Ovechkin to get 50 goals asap so he doesn't get denied a 50 goal season if they cancel the rest of the season.

Come on Red Wings help me out here.

I also have/had tickets on the glass for the Sens game next Friday, my only game of the season. :(

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

His Cup run numbers is very likely something we never seen again.....making it a requirement of an incoming acquisition target seems shortsighted, but they need a very good player coming back for sure.

Nobody is irreplaceable except 8.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I know it's wrong but I really want Ovechkin to get 50 goals asap so he doesn't get denied a 50 goal season if they cancel the rest of the season.

Come on Red Wings help me out here.

I also have/had tickets on the glass for the Sens game next Friday, my only game of the season. :(

Even IF they kept playing (which I don't think will happen. I expect suspension of season after tonight's games are finished), there's no way you'll be going to the Sens game, unfortunately. No more crowd events. Over here in
Australia they are cancelling concerts etc. Funnily enough (in a not very amusing way) Tom Hanks is about 15 mins away from where I live, working on a movie. He and his wife have the virus and have been put in isolation at
the hospital.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Pretty funny. Orpik, Nisky and Kempny were all brought in by BMac and raised a Cup together. Jensen appears to be rounding into form. Dillon is as advertised, his sample size is too low to make a final determination, and TR is still trying to find the right pairing for him. So its not exactly true that he "can't pick the D to save his life". His hit rate is probably well above average, probably near the top in the league overall, when looking at ALL the various acquisitions.

But as is your nature, please continue to focus only on the negatives.
It's funny that you still struggling with reading. The comment was about the D who he's traded for, not signed from the market. But you do you, kicksavedave, you do you. And yeah, Jensen and Dillon too good right now, I get it:rolleyes:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
His Cup run numbers is very likely something we never seen again.....making it a requirement of an incoming acquisition target seems shortsighted, but they need a very good player coming back for sure.

Nobody is irreplaceable except 8.
You're not wrong, I don't expect Kuzy to ever get to that elite level against the best of the best again, but they need a replacement plan at 2C first before they pull the trigger on Kuzy.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Poor ovie, getting screwed again. He would have easily hit 50 this year. What a shame

NHL says they will resume the season, vs canceling it. I suppose if the virus refuses to go away that could change, but I expect the 2019/20 season will simply drag on longer than June, but complete the full course.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
If we assume NHL is paused for few weeks and then continues, I think strictly from standings and SC chances, it is good for Caps with the recent slump, isnt it? Struggling teams have chance to come up with something while best teams might struggle to play as well as before with unexpected break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad