Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Wearing the A may or may not reflect actual leadership
Huh, this doesn't seem very consistent with your other beliefs.

Because according to you, if you get put on the penalty kill, you are a good penalty killer. If you don't get put on it, you are not.

So why wouldn't the best leaders have letters?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Huh, this doesn't seem very consistent with your other beliefs.

Because according to you, if you get put on the penalty kill, you are a good penalty killer. If you don't get put on it, you are not.

So why wouldn't the best leaders have letters?

Some teams promote their best players as their official leaders. Others go by seniority. You know this. Seniority isn't usually a thing on special teams.

Maybe he is a great leader. I am just going by things ive read. I could be wrong.

Jun 15, 2007
Some teams promote their best players as their official leaders. Others go by seniority. You know this. Seniority isn't usually a thing on special teams.

Maybe he is a great leader. I am just going by things ive read. I could be wrong.

Sure, I agree.

But then maybe coaches don't want to put a guy like Orlov on the PK because he's really good at ES, not because he can't PK?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure, I agree.

But then maybe coaches don't want to put a guy like Orlov on the PK because he's really good at ES, not because he can't PK?

I am not sure what one has to do with the other. Carlson and Niskanen have been carrying a full load of pk the last several years and a full load of even strength. When Orlov and Niskanen are a pair, I am not sure I see your point when one carries the most pk time and the other guy while good at pk doesn't play at all.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Now we’re saying getting the A doesn’t reflect good leadership?

Isn’t three months enough to get in shape?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
It's really not. It's a terrible visualization.
The angle connecting red and black squares relative to the big red is the key thing, for Orlov they get like 10 more shots for, 2 more against, so Orlov has been better with Jensen [actually opposite]. For Sieg it's downward so Sieg is much worse with Jensen.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The angle connecting red and black squares relative to the big red is the key thing, for Orlov they get like 10 more shots for, 2 more against, so Orlov has been better with Jensen. For Sieg it's downward so Sieg is much worse with Jensen.

I don't think the viz is that bad but you aren't even reading it correctly so maybe it really does stink. Orlov has been better without Jensen than with him.

The 9 in the red square is Orlov without Jensen, and the 9 in the black square is Orlov with Jensen. The red square is closer to "Good" than the black square is.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I don't think the viz is that bad but you aren't even reading it correctly so maybe it really does stink. Orlov has been better without Jensen than with him.

The 9 in the red square is Orlov without Jensen, and the 9 in the black square is Orlov with Jensen. The red square is closer to "Good" than the black square is.
Whoops Jensen sucks again

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
If the 'Yotes keep falling in the standings, Hall retained at 50% again - a cap hit of $1.5M - would make a ton of sense for a lot of contenders. 1st+Prospect(s)+. If AZ would be looking to recoup the value they gave up for Hall at the TDL, I'd definitely be open to it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If the 'Yotes keep falling in the standings, Hall retained at 50% again - a cap hit of $1.5M - would make a ton of sense for a lot of contenders. 1st+Prospect(s)+. If AZ would be looking to recoup the value they gave up for Hall at the TDL, I'd definitely be open to it.

No other teams can retain salary on Hall's contract. 50% is the max amount that can be retained, even if it's split between 2 teams.

Since NJ is already retaining half his salary that's it, any trade with have to be for the full $3 million left on his cap hit (though it'll be pro-rated for the rest of the season depending on when exactly he is traded).

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
No other teams can retain salary on Hall's contract. 50% is the max amount that can be retained, even if it's split between 2 teams.

Since NJ is already retaining half his salary that's it, any trade with have to be for the full $3 million left on his cap hit (though it'll be pro-rated for the rest of the season depending on when exactly he is traded).
Correct me if I am wrong, but, Devan Dubnyk and Derrick Brassard both had their salaries retained twice, surpassing that 50% max-retention on a single trade, no? It was across multiple trades.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but, Devan Dubnyk and Derrick Brassard both had their salaries retained twice, surpassing that 50% max-retention on a single trade, no? It was across multiple trades.

You might be right. I was looking here:

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But it seems a bit ambiguous as to whether 50% of their full contract salary can be retained, or whether each salary retention trade can only retain 50% of the remaining cap hit (meaning you could retain up to 75% total, as in your Hall example).

Jun 15, 2007
Chayka won't trade Hall.

Right now he made a risky move that's looking like it won't pan out but still might turn around.

If he trades Hall, then he turns that probability into a certainty.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Isnt Taylor Hall going to be an expensive buy into a spot where the Caps don't have an opening?

Probably, especially with Hagelin and Panik upping their games recently. I imagine Arizona will keep him most likely (especially if they want to re-sign him) and that it will take something far more than the Capitals should realistically offer in order to pry him away.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Niskanen the way he looks this year is exactly what we need lol.

I like Gudas at all but would take Niskanen + Nichushkin over Gudas + Panik any day this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad