Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Reactions: Silky mitts

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
But also, heres what have been picked with our TDL costly picks;

2014 (4th) - Ryan Mantha (0 NHL games)
2015 (2nd) - Jeremy Lauzon (20 NHL games)
2015 (3rd) - Jens Looke (0 NHL games)
2015 (4th) - Brad Morrison (0 NHL games)
2016 (2nd) - Carl Grundström (24 NHL games)
2017 (1st) - Klim Kostin (4 NHL games)
2017 (3rd) - Oskari Laaksonen (0 NHL games)
2018 (3rd) - WTF, we drafted Riley Sutter ourselves?
2019 (3rd) - Lukas Parik
2019 (5th) - Matvei Guskov
2020 (2nd) - ?

So thats total of 48 NHL games lost. Thats a fraction of how many NHL games we have got From those. Kempny/Jerabek haul got us the Stanley Cup. Jensen and Hagelin are Still here. Id say we have done OK on TDL.

And just to compare furthermore, best players who could have been picked within 10 picks below those that were used;

2014 (4th) - Viktor Arvidsson (ouch)
2015 (2nd) - Jonas Siegenhalert (hey, we did get the guy!) (okok.. Rasmus Andersson)
2015 (3rd) - Aleksi Saarela
2015 (4th) - Mathieu Joseph
2016 (2nd) - Adam Fox (ouch)
2017 (1st) - Eeli Tolvanen
2017 (3rd) - nobody

2019 (3rd) - Aliaksei Protas (hey, we did get the guy)
2019 (5th) - Martin Hugo Has (hey, we did get the guy)

So even if you think that we would have been superb lucky to get those picks absolutely right, the haul is Still not that crazy.

In general I think our scouting/GM have done crazy good job on knowing when to trade picks away, when to keep it, and especially how to use them. Our drafting has been good, and we find ways to get the guys we want Trading up.

And then there is the Forsberg trade.

** There might be some errors, I did this search quickly and didnt check up.
Flawed analysis when you are using the results of what other GMs did with the draft picks.

This is the unknown factor but look at the 2015 NHL draft for the Capitals. Caps drafted Samsonov in the first round, Siegenthaler in the second, several picks behind the pick that they sent to Calgary for Glencross. They also traded the 3rd round pick in that Glencross trade. They did not pick again until the 5th round, Connor Hobbs and the 6th round, Colby Williams. Players that were drafted between the 2nd rd pick sent to Calgary and Siegenthaler, Defenseman Vince Dunn for St. Louis Blues, players available in the third round after the Caps pick that went to Calgary, Florida Panthers Denis Malgin. Who's to say what BMAC might have done with those picks had he retained them, but Glencross's time here was less than memorable.

I don't understand this compulsion with some Caps fans here that as the TDL approaches it seems it's an annual ritual that they believe the Caps must do something at the TDL to improve the team or to move the needle otherwise it's a failure on management's part. Except for the Kempny trade (which was actually the Devils pick that came to the Caps in the MAJO trade) rarely do we see it improve the team going into the playoffs and at times it has the reverse impact, i.e. Kevin Shattenkirk.

As we often hear, sometimes the best trades are . . .

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If BIG Buff becomes a UFA and is looking to sign with a contender on a one year min deal.
I would jump on it, and to convince him I would tell him we have the cap space (after Holtby is gone) to extend him if it’s a good fit.

Yeh he hasn’t played hockey in a year is 34 and could be DSP on D. But I would still take the low risk move.

Buff is a locker room crap shoot. Pass

Jun 15, 2007
Would rather move Kempny to RD and see how he does before trading him. His contract is good value.

Jun 15, 2007
Hypothetical Shea Weber trade at the draft for 1st, Jensen ++

Siege-Carlson
Orlov-Weber
Fehervary-Kempny
AA

Leaves us with 2.5m to sign a backup goalie, assuming 22 man roster and 84mil cap ceiling.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Flawed analysis when you are using the results of what other GMs did with the draft picks.

This is the unknown factor but look at the 2015 NHL draft for the Capitals. Caps drafted Samsonov in the first round, Siegenthaler in the second, several picks behind the pick that they sent to Calgary for Glencross. They also traded the 3rd round pick in that Glencross trade. They did not pick again until the 5th round, Connor Hobbs and the 6th round, Colby Williams. Players that were drafted between the 2nd rd pick sent to Calgary and Siegenthaler, Defenseman Vince Dunn for St. Louis Blues, players available in the third round after the Caps pick that went to Calgary, Florida Panthers Denis Malgin. Who's to say what BMAC might have done with those picks had he retained them, but Glencross's time here was less than memorable.

I don't understand this compulsion with some Caps fans here that as the TDL approaches it seems it's an annual ritual that they believe the Caps must do something at the TDL to improve the team or to move the needle otherwise it's a failure on management's part. Except for the Kempny trade (which was actually the Devils pick that came to the Caps in the MAJO trade) rarely do we see it improve the team going into the playoffs and at times it has the reverse impact, i.e. Kevin Shattenkirk.

As we often here, sometimes the best trades are . . .

hey i wasnt saying we should do whatever trade just in sake of trading. Just pointing the obvious that 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc picks hold some mysthic value where we like to imagine how its exactly that our pick that turns out to be gold from all that pile of dirt.

And that i trust highly in our GM and scouting department to regocnize if this is the year to keep our picks or go for roster player. They have been very succesful in choosing the weak draft cores when trading picks out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Siegenthaler has been playing pretty well so I really don’t understand him sitting. I’d have gone with Kempny to give him a bit of a reset, but hey what do I know :dunno:

Kempny is playing like 7 minutes more minutes a game. To replace Kempny is a lot more work than replacing Siegenthaler.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I put Buff in the LeTang category:
Can directly win you games and directly lose you games with bad mental mistakes
High risk high reward, plus no idea how 4 months off the ice is gonna affect things

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
GMBM wanting to see what he has in Fever sounds like he is considering a move on D.

This is exactly how I read it. "See where Fever is in his development" means give him a few games to see if we need to make a trade deadline move or not.

Jun 15, 2007
There's no evidence of Buff being a locker room cancer. You're allowed to have an.incident with a teammate. It's only if incidents follow you around that its you that's the problem.

I am not concerned with his attitude but his ankle, his desire and his fitness.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I am so happy. I know most people are clamoring for Jensen to be the guy sitting but this is a baby step and I will take it.

It would be one thing If Jensen was a LD.....No reason to put Fever in a tougher spot on his offside.

Long season.....I’m fine with some tinkering.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Here's a little snippet from the WaPo for those that are worried (paywall).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-leaves-morning-skate-after-taking-puck-head/

Washington Capitals goaltender Ilya Samsonov left Tuesday’s morning skate after suffering a head injury from taking a high shot from Alex Ovechkin. Samsonov skated off the ice with trainers and will be evaluated by the team doctors.

For precautionary reasons, the team will recall Vitek Vanecek from the team’s American Hockey League affiliate in Hershey, Pa. in case Samsonov is not cleared to back up starter Braden Holtby in Tuesday night’s game against the Los Angeles Kings at Capital One Arena. Holtby is 19-10-4.

Capitals Coach Todd Reirden confirmed Holtby was slated to start against the Kings before Samsonov’s injury.

Reirden said taking Samsonov off the ice was “purely precautionary.” Samsonov was walking around the locker room after practice and telling teammates he was “okay.” He is 16-3-1 this season, after Sunday’s 4-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins ended an 11-start winning streak.

and this piece is in the article as well:

In Hershey, Fehervary has been playing on both the left, his natural side, and the right sides.

The past two weeks, he’s played mainly on the left, whereas a month ago, he was on the right. Reirden clarified that Fehervary has played on his off side back with his Swedish club, so switching is “something he is prepared for,” adding that this has been a great development year for Fehervary.

“Yeah, I don’t have any issue playing on the right side,” Fehervary said. “I don’t have any issues playing on both sides.”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My guess is that Fehevary call up is more about the trade deadline than anything. Do they need a veteran 7 or can the kid do it.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->