Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

This is a bit of a surprise is it not?

Good and quite reasonable. No rush to bring Samsonov up, another year in Hershey will benefit him. Vanecek a pending RFA will also need to be resigned. If Vanecek continues to improve, Copley could be moved sometime next season and that contract and term will make him all the more attractive.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
TR is known as an Xs and Os guy. I'm sure he's seen the problems with motivating this club during the long season while working for Trotz, but he's never been the guy who's had to deal with it. Not ultimately.

Trotz struggled with this his entire tenure. If TR figures it out in year 1 he's a genius.
Particularly given that they don't really have anything to prove as a team. They can say they want to repeat but it's obvious when it comes to Kuznetsov most glaringly they're not putting a high level of effort into each game. Every year there's a complacency factor they need to fight and this year is stronger than ever. Even Forsythe hasn't managed to get PP1 into top form. In quite a few games just having that unit going would have made a difference picking up more points (or at least giving them the confidence to play a little more engaged, even if their defensive game has generally been a mess). The assistants on whole don't inspire a ton of confidence and when there's some question about Reirden's command level it's tough to not really have assistants that appear able to lay the hammer down either.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Prepping for the expansion draft is why they resigned him? Makes sense even though I don't fully understand how the expansion draft in the NHL works.

Same rules as Vegas. Teams have two options as to which players they protect: Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender, or eight skaters (forwards or defensemen) and a goalie. By locking Copley down through 2021-22 they won't have to expose Holtby or Samsonov (whichever one is still in DC).

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not really. Those thinking Samsanov was going to be ready quickly would think so. And yea. Expansion draft

No idea of Samsanov's development timeline but I knew he was down in Hershey, and I also forgot about the expansion draft coming up for Seattle, so thats why I was surprised by the extension.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Why? Where are the Caps going to use a left shot on the pp??
Carlson, Kuznetsov, Ovechkin and Backstrom are locks. I like Wilson in front of the net over the MR. 35% PP IPP Oshie. So Zuccarello will play with Eller and Oshie/Wilson on the PP2 unit and will be a huge improvement for the 3rd line. He can PK as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No idea of Samsanov's development timeline but I knew he was down in Hershey, and I also forgot about the expansion draft coming up for Seattle, so thats why I was surprised by the extension.

I think the Caps have found that there is real value to having a stable, long term backup goalie. I think the surprise is that Copley has become that. But he seems to be legit

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson, Kuznetsov, Ovechkin and Backstrom are locks. I like Wilson in front of the net over the MR. 35% PP IPP Oshie. So Zuccarello will play with Eller and Oshie/Wilson on the PP2 unit and will be a huge improvement for the 3rd line. He can PK as well.

The Caps aren't going to move Oshie. Connolly takes that pp2 role. Zucc does not fit the Caps 5 on 5 style of play.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Zuccarello doesn’t need to be on the PP to be effective. He’s a really good two way forward, and can help the PK as well.

I would be surprised if he isn’t the teams primary target.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
The Caps aren't going to move Oshie. Connolly takes that pp2 role. Zucc does not fit the Caps 5 on 5 style of play.
Let's be honest: Caps 3rd line have absolutely no 5 on 5 style of play one can be afraid to change. And I take Zuccarello over Connolly on the pp2 any day.

You forgot the most important thing: Zuccarello can PK. On actual team this argument make him instant 2nd/3rd liner. He is a 0.7 PPG NHL forward too. Only three F do better on our team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

“Does not fit the Caps 5-on-5 style”.....

Please expand on this. I think his particular skill set would be very welcome here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr John Carlson

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Also, caps aren’t trading Oshie or anyone who just signed a long-term deal.

If you’re an organization and sign someone to 8 years that’s a commitment level on both ends. Trading Oshie makes long-term deals risky in future because agents or players won’t trust the organization.

5+ year contracts says “let’s have a long-term relationship” by both parties. You don’t trade or request trades early in the contract when that happens. It’s really bad for future business. Plus, last thing Caps need is every long term deal agents demanding “no trade” clauses in every deal... which would probably happen if Oshie is traded.

Caps committed to Oshie... he’s here for awhile

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure if people have seen Samsonov in Hershey so far.... but yeah, he needs a lot more development.

He definitely needs more cook time but the Bears have points in 9 straight games and Samsonov has played a big part in that. In his last six games he is 5-0-1 with two shutouts, a .958 save %, and a 0.99 GAA.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let's be honest: Caps 3rd line have absolutely no 5 on 5 style of play one can be afraid to change. And I take Zuccarello over Connolly on the pp2 any day.

You forgot the most important thing: Zuccarello can PK. On actual team this argument make him instant 2nd/3rd liner. He is a 0.7 PPG NHL forward too. Only three F do better on our team.

This one speaks the tru tru....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Also, caps aren’t trading Oshie or anyone who just signed a long-term deal.

If you’re an organization and sign someone to 8 years that’s a commitment level on both ends. Trading Oshie makes long-term deals risky in future because agents or players won’t trust the organization.

5+ year contracts says “let’s have a long-term relationship” by both parties. You don’t trade or request trades early in the contract when that happens. It’s really bad for future business. Plus, last thing Caps need is every long term deal agents demanding “no trade” clauses in every deal... which would probably happen if Oshie is traded.

Caps committed to Oshie... he’s here for awhile

I agree with the sentiment of your post. Loyalty matters. Oshie should be here IMO.

But....agents and free agents have short term memories when large contracts start getting tossed around. Caps could trade Kuzy or Oshie or Orlov or anyone on a longer deal and they wouldn’t be suddenly tainted as a destination for players.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What are you willing to dangle for Zuccarello that the Rangers would be willing to accept? Bura and a draft pick? Rangers are kind of in a weird spot where I don't know if they'd value Burakovsky. Plus the Rangers would have to retain a bit and are in division so that could skew the price

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What are you willing to dangle for Zuccarello that the Rangers would be willing to accept? Bura and a draft pick? Rangers are kind of in a weird spot where I don't know if they'd value Burakovsky. Plus the Rangers would have to retain a bit and are in division so that could skew the price

That’s what will likely torpedo the move.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My view is the Caps want someone more physical. Not less
I would not be prepared to pay whatever it'll end up taking for Ferland or Simmonds if that's their preference. Overall I think work ethic and attention to detail is more important.

Dzingel or Silfverberg make more sense but not being able to maximize a player's offensive strengths is a significant limitation, esp. given their high-end guys. Zucc doesn't have ideal size but the motor and skill would play on any contender regardless.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad