Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Gersich also has a legitimate NHL future as more than a 11-14th forward, as opposed to Walker and Barber.
Last year they did some shenanigans where they waited to send down Stephenson until a few days into the season when they felt he'd be less likely to be claimed, might do something like that again to start the season without a ton of forward depth and no spot in the lineup for Gersich unless Stephenson plays center.
Capitals mailbag: Explaining how waivers play a role in roster decisions

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Last year they did some shenanigans where they waited to send down Stephenson until a few days into the season when they felt he'd be less likely to be claimed, might do something like that again to start the season without a ton of forward depth and no spot in the lineup for Gersich unless Stephenson plays center.
Capitals mailbag: Explaining how waivers play a role in roster decisions

Stephenson was placed on waivers on Oct4, 2017, the first day of the regular season. The Capitals first game was on October 5.

Chandler Stephenson to be placed on waivers

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Rosters were set the day before 10/3
2017-18 Key Dates
Maybe options won't be a consideration and I'm reaching for reasons for Barber to make the team but if he makes it and is sent down a couple days after it could be a heady move.

The reason that occurred last year was because they had not yet agreed to a contract with Alex Chiasson (who was in camp on a PTO). That bought them an extra day as they negotiated the contract.

The premise that waivers are safer a couple days into the season as compared to a day or two before the season also doesn't seem truthful to me. Looking back at Caley's waiver thread from last season, we only saw two players claimed from the 49 players on waivers October 1st/2nd waiver crunch (Patrick Nemeth & Malcolm Subban), or a little more than 4%. One player (Adam Cracknell) was claimed in the few days following that (on waivers Oct 5), out of the just ten players on waivers between Oct 3-6 (so 10%). While there are too few players on waivers after the roster freeze to draw definitive conclusions, the evidence we do have doesn't really support the thought that it's easier to pass through waivers immediately after the freeze than immediately before it. The real takeaway that I have been citing for several years is how few players get claimed off of waivers in general during this portion of the season.

Building off of that, I highly doubt Barber is a candidate to get snatched off waivers. Every team has a couple Riley Barbers already. And especially in this window between the end of camp and the early portion of the regular season, most teams are still figuring out what they have with the players they already have. Waiver claims are uncommon occurrances at this stage.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Still surprises me the lack of love Djoos gets after coming in unheralded as a rookie and performing the way he did last season/playoffs. Kid deserves respect

Definitely deserves respect for seizing the job. Now he needs to develop more and solidify himself as a career-NHL'er. I think the school is out still. Certainly has the talent to play in the league.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Shumakov sent to Hersehy. Also both Vanecek and Samonov (confirming Copley as the back-up).

Lewington and Sgarbossa cleared waivers.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The reason that occurred last year was because they had not yet agreed to a contract with Alex Chiasson (who was in camp on a PTO). That bought them an extra day as they negotiated the contract.

The premise that waivers are safer a couple days into the season as compared to a day or two before the season also doesn't seem truthful to me. Looking back at Caley's waiver thread from last season, we only saw two players claimed from the 49 players on waivers October 1st/2nd waiver crunch (Patrick Nemeth & Malcolm Subban), or a little more than 4%. One player (Adam Cracknell) was claimed in the few days following that (on waivers Oct 5), out of the just ten players on waivers between Oct 3-6 (so 10%). While there are too few players on waivers after the roster freeze to draw definitive conclusions, the evidence we do have doesn't really support the thought that it's easier to pass through waivers immediately after the freeze than immediately before it. The real takeaway that I have been citing for several years is how few players get claimed off of waivers in general during this portion of the season.

Building off of that, I highly doubt Barber is a candidate to get snatched off waivers. Every team has a couple Riley Barbers already. And especially in this window between the end of camp and the early portion of the regular season, most teams are still figuring out what they have with the players they already have. Waiver claims are uncommon occurrances at this stage.
I think the only guy we have that wouldnt clear waivers is Bowey. Might be the only reason he stays with the big club.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It's probably conditioning but it doesn't help that Twitter is full of fat hardos going all in on DSP and calling him a lazy POS.

By all accounts it's pretty standard for certain guys to come into camp out of shape and it's been an issue that DSP has struggled with in his career. GMBM even cited it last season when we picked him up and DSP disputed it then. Honestly, it's much ado about nothing, listening to hockey podcasts with former players this week they all seemed to agree that different players come into camp in different states. Your McDavids and Crsobys are going to be in peak condition, most bottom 6 career guys probably aren't working out with sports scientists and dietitians everyday.

He'll be ready when he's ready, his style of game isn't really available in any of our extra forwards so in due time when he's good to go there will be a spot for him. In the mean time it's a nice opportunity to give some young guys more experience.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's also pretty hard to find another explanation for a number of comments about the matter, DSP's own original response in particular.

Reirden will only say that he isn't ready. He won't say that it's conditioning. He works real hard to not say that for some reason. Interesting that in the presser yesterday that in his first camp Seigenthaler didn't to play any preseason games because of poor conditioning. He said that he was not ready to play.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reirden will only say that he isn't ready. He won't say that it's conditioning. He works real hard to not say that for some reason. Interesting that in the presser yesterday that in his first camp Seigenthaler didn't to play any preseason games because of poor conditioning. He said that he was not ready to play.

Because he gets that trashing your players in public is a quick way to get players to be skeptical and turn against you. Reirden is not quite Belichek-ish in being tight lipped, but telling the world "DSP came to camp fat and out of shape" doesn't really help either DSP or Reirden in any way. Public shaming is for Facebook, not an NHL locker room :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Because he gets that trashing your players in public is a quick way to get players to be skeptical and turn against you. Reirden is not quite Belichek-ish in being tight lipped, but telling the world "DSP came to camp fat and out of shape" doesn't really help either DSP or Reirden in any way. Public shaming is for Facebook, not an NHL locker room :D

When everyone knows it's conditioning pretending it's not the obvious is stupid. Meanwhile he specifically called out Bowey

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
No matter what the issue is with DSP I don't think they owe the fans or media an explanation beyond what's already been given. I agree Reirden is probably protecting his relationship with the players by choosing not to disclose specifics to the media. I don't think it's stupid. I manage people at work - discretion and trust are not optional.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
He's not "pretending its not". He's just not elaborating on it. There's a difference.

Not familiar with how he called out Bowey? Can you elaborate?

“It’s good to have internal competition,” Reirden said. “That’s something that was definitely discussed with Madison this summer, that he had an opportunity to come in and make a stand for the fact that he deserves to be in that situation. We’re going to put him in opportunities where he can play minutes and play with different people and see where he’s at. Obviously, our three pairs we had last year worked well for us, and we’re fortunate to have all six of those guys back. That being said, he needs to make it a difficult decision for me on a nightly basis. That’s in his hands, and he needs to push me in that direction of making a change to that group because, as of right now, I wouldn’t be.

I think it's fair to classify that as calling him out. He straight up said "you're on the outside looking in unless you make me change my mind"

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I think it's fair to classify that as calling him out. He straight up said "you're on the outside looking in unless you make me change my mind"
They won the Cup with him as the 7th guy, even if he hadn't said you've got to show me something to move up it's kind of implied.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I disagree that is calling him out, or disclosing internal matters that should be kept internal. Its a basic status report - he needs to be better than the starters and right now he's not. Its nothing like saying he's fat, or lazy, or problematic in any way. Its merely saying he hasn't earned his was onto the ice at the NHL level yet. I see nothing in that statement that should make Bowey upset for it being made public, nor anything that should have been kept private. Saying a guy is 8th and we keep 7 isn't calling him out. And I would expect that is exactly what he tells Bowey in private as well, so he's hardly being deceptive either inwardly or to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad