Post-Game Talk: Caps/Devs GDT 4/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
IMO it's a mistake to single out a talented guy after a game in which almost everybody sucked. It sends the message that the coach doesn't like you, rather than what's intended.

Especially since there were plenty of games when there was an actual valid reason to single Vrana out.
I think it is a cumulative thing, not just the Isles debacle. In Lavi’s view apparently, Vrana’s effort has been sub-par for a while now

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Vrana is a perimeter player. Never defends, never goes to the front of the net or anywhere near the corner/boards. He just skates fast in a straight and has good hands and a good shot. He's a more talented and faster Sprong basically.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Impressive that Ovie got that shot off through 3 Devils but Kuzy should never even have tried that "twister" pass with the ice WIDE OPEN on the other side of the net, and 3 defenders on Ovie with another closing in.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Impressive that Ovie got that shot off through 3 Devils but Kuzy should never even have tried that "twister" pass with the ice WIDE OPEN on the other side of the net, and 3 defenders on Ovie with another closing in.

Kuzy is a low IQ player now. In the following sequence, he tries to bat the puck out of the air with his stick 5 feet in front of VV. He bats it straight to a Devils forward who almost scores.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I have a bad feeling that Hughes is going to go Barzel on us tonight.

Pfft - Hughes is the most underwhelming 1st overall pick since I don't even know who....probably Hischier.

Looks at his numbers: ooh I'm shaking in my boots:

upload_2021-4-3_9-48-45.png

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You know, I wonder if Kuzy's issue--besides the busted give-a-shit--is that his skill is better than his vision. He's got sick hands and is a phenomenal skater so he can do stuff that amazes, but I sometimes think he doesn't see the ice so well. The above being a case in point. Whereas Backstrom has the skill (not the skating obviously, and less of the flashiness) but his on-ice vision allows him to make unbelievable plays... Or maybe it's just hockey IQ.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kuzy is a low IQ player now. In the following sequence, he tries to bat the puck out of the air with his stick 5 feet in front of VV. He bats it straight to a Devils forward who almost scores.

I had to go back and watch that because I was typing when it happened. The play there is probably to take a quick look to find your man and then position your body to keep him from getting to the puck while trying to either play it after landing or let the goalie poke it.

But of course Kuzy has to go for the fanciest, riskiest option. This has been my complaint about his play all season. Low-percentage, unnecessary decisions.

If he plays smart and just looks for the right chances to score or make the right pass, he's deadly. We don't need every play to be a trick shot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You know, I wonder if Kuzy's issue--besides the busted give-a-shit--is that his skill is better than his vision. He's got sick hands and is a phenomenal skater so he can do stuff that amazes, but I sometimes think he doesn't see the ice so well. The being a case in point. Whereas Backstrom has the skill (not the skating obviously, and less of the flashiness) but his on-ice vision allows him to make unbelievable plays... Or maybe it's just hockey IQ.

We simulposted, but yeah it may be "vision" or it could just be decision making. He's the guy that goes for the no-look, behind the back pass on a fast break when a simple bounce pass will do.

"Forcing the play" also comes to mind. Instead of taking what the defense gives you and then attacking the weakness. Maybe forcing the play is what he thinks being more active and aggressive means, per Lavi's directives to engage the game more.

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I hate how things are going with Vrana.....a better, soon to be more expensive player in a Bura-like scenario is looming large. He’s due a massive raise....it’s a bit scary. I wonder who on the team he looks up to most, mimics most, listens to most....I’m almost worried it’s Kuzy.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Dowd line is head and shoulders above the rest in the 1st period. If all our lines brought that work ethic we'd already have won a second Cup.

Dillon makes me nervous but I think he's good enough to work through whatever stupid shit he's been doing lately.

I think Vanacek is more reliable than Samsonov in terms of mindset / mentality. The reality is that VV was given a chance he never expected to have (starter), while all the pressure is on Samsonov because of expectations. That could make or break him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I had to go back and watch that because I was typing when it happened. The play there is probably to take a quick look to find your man and then position your body to keep him from getting to the puck while trying to either play it after landing or let the goalie poke it.

But of course Kuzy has to go for the fanciest, riskiest option. This has been my complaint about his play all season. Low-percentage, unnecessary decisions.

If he plays smart and just looks for the right chances to score or make the right pass, he's deadly. We don't need every play to be a trick shot.

His focus slipped a lot since Trotz left. At least Trotz had him playing the right way, not missing basic defensive assignments in his own end and opening up space for Ovi in the offensive zone.

At this rate we might as well look for a trade to get a #2C who plays a more conservative game than him.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Burt is playing in a system that is better suited for his talents. Vrana can excel too but it won’t be in Lavy’s system. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved at the TDL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Agreed. In retrospect, maybe should've sent him to COL and kept Burt.

You read my mind. I was just second guessing myself on that. But it's very likely Burky never would have "woke up" if he'd stayed.

If Vrana doesn't respond to the coach and push his boundaries then IMO the leaders in the locker room have to take him aside and lay it out. And to have credibility there they have to lead by example. Ovie usually does this but he probably needs to have some blood and guts defense-heavy games to get everyone to buy-in and follow him through the flames again.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad