Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Cats - 7:08pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
3v3 kicks ass I have no idea what everyone is talking about. It's a gimmick but it's entertaining as hell.
The inevitable minor mistake or dumb bounce leading to a goal ruins it for me. So disheartening watching some skill to have it ended by a bounce over a stick or a shot missing by an inch and starting a break. 20+ seconds of skating around the zone can be a bit much at times too.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
nope....I vividly remember when both teams would just go into lockdown mode around the 10 min mark and refs would put away their whistles.

Horrible as well to watch although not as bad as 60 minutes of 3v3 would be.

3v3 is exciting for sure, but OT skews records big time.

Points are the thing I get that, the Caps real record is 8-2 with regulation wins over the Flames twice, Sabres, Rangers, Leafs, Stars, Isles and Blackhawks. Loses to the Avs and Preds. Still really good for sure.

For ref Bruins have 11 regulation wins, 2 reg losses, and have played two fewer games than the Caps.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I dont like how OT and the loser point actually makes regulation a little boring.

The end of a game is supposed to be the most exciting part. But too often you see two teams just coast to preserve the point. Not in Caps games so much mind you, but too many in other games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The inevitable minor mistake or dumb bounce leading to a goal ruins it for me. So disheartening watching some skill to have it ended by a bounce over a stick or a shot missing by an inch and starting a break. 20+ seconds of skating around the zone can be a bit much at times too.

You mean a cross rink pass that bounces off two sets of skates and goes in doesn't bug you?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dont like how OT and the loser point actually makes regulation a little boring.

The end of a game is supposed to be the most exciting part. But too often you see two teams just coast to preserve the point. Not in Caps games so much mind you, but too many in other games.

I have always marveled at how much NHL fans hate their game. Its a regular and steady thing.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
You mean a cross rink pass that bounces off two sets of skates and goes in doesn't bug you?
During Regulation? No. Also, you get what you get when firing the puck across the rink.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
That's a ridiculous analogy. Hockey has been five skaters and a goalie for 100 years. And I don't believe for a second that anyone would want to watch 3 on 3 for a full 60.

There was a main board thread about it (future NHL being 3 on 3 the entire game) and I wanted to comment but instead I just shook my head and thought "This is yet another really really stupid main board thread".
It would be the death of hockey.

I don't like the 3 on 3 overtime because of the keep away aspect. They could solve that (somebody in here or somewhere else said it) by making it a penalty for the player in possession to exit the offensive zone deliberately. I would
change that slightly and say it's not a penalty but the ref blows the whistle and the player has to give up possession of the puck, thereby allowing the other team to take possession.

There is also an idea doing the rounds that involves a shot clock - I think this is definitely worth the league taking a look at.

I really don't like the shootout either: my idea is that you have 5 mins of 3 on 3 OT. If it's still tied you would have another 5 mins but NO player who played the first OT would be allowed on the ice for the 2nd OT.
This would help to prevent a team's star players from playing too much OT hockey and getting worn down and burnt out over the long regular season.
You could potentially add a 3rd OT where nobody from the first 2 is allowed on the ice - you'd be down to your 4th liners and bottom pairing D's by that point.
This would of course favour teams who have more offensive depth - for example the Bolts vs Boston or <pretty much every team> vs Edmonton.

If the game wasn't decided after the 2, or 3 OT's I wouldn't even have a shootout - I'd call it a tie and not award an extra point. Each team gets 1 point only.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
There was a main board thread about it (future NHL being 3 on 3 the entire game) and I wanted to comment but instead I just shook my head and thought "This is yet another really really stupid main board thread".
It would be the death of hockey.

I don't like the 3 on 3 overtime because of the keep away aspect. They could solve that (somebody in here or somewhere else said it) by making it a penalty for the player in possession to exit the offensive zone deliberately. I would
change that slightly and say it's not a penalty but the ref blows the whistle and the player has to give up possession of the puck, thereby allowing the other team to take possession.

There is also an idea doing the rounds that involves a shot clock - I think this is definitely worth the league taking a look at.

I really don't like the shootout either: my idea is that you have 5 mins of 3 on 3 OT. If it's still tied you would have another 5 mins but NO player who played the first OT would be allowed on the ice for the 2nd OT.
This would help to prevent a team's star players from playing too much OT hockey and getting worn down and burnt out over the long regular season.
You could potentially add a 3rd OT where nobody from the first 2 is allowed on the ice - you'd be down to your 4th liners and bottom pairing D's by that point.
This would of course favour teams who have more offensive depth - for example the Bolts vs Boston or <pretty much every team> vs Edmonton.

If the game wasn't decided after the 2, or 3 OT's I wouldn't even have a shootout - I'd call it a tie and not award an extra point. Each team gets 1 point only.
Not meaning to be a jerk, but to all of this I say: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Enough already. They've tweaked and fanagled to the point that our standings charts are an embarrassment. NHL tiebreakers are the most convoluted imaginable. I get that the league insists on a winner for every game and so fine... Leave it alone but make it 3-0 RW, 2-1 OT or SO W, and be done with it. If it's going to be gimmicks to resolve the games, have fewer of them, get it over with fast, and disincentivize teams to go to OT.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not meaning to be a jerk, but to all of this I say: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Enough already. They've tweaked and fanagled to the point that our standings charts are an embarrassment. NHL tiebreakers are the most convoluted imaginable. I get that the league insists on a winner for every game and so fine... Leave it alone but make it 3-0 RW, 2-1 OT or SO W, and be done with it. If it's going to be gimmicks to resolve the games, have fewer of them, get it over with fast, and disincentivize teams to go to OT.

What is the problem with 3 on 3? Its the coaches prioritizing not losing first. Don't give up a goal first and then see if you can score one. If you make a regulation win 3 points the game will become more conservative because of the playoff implications of losing in regulation to a conference rival.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What is the problem with 3 on 3? Its the coaches prioritizing not losing first. Don't give up a goal first and then see if you can score one. If you make a regulation win 3 points the game will become more conservative because of the playoff implications of losing in regulation to a conference rival.
I'm not sure that's the core problem with 3 on 3, but even if it is... Sure it's possible that teams will be more conservative, but maybe some teams will be more aggressive, trying to deny rivals a point and gain 3. It's worth a try because the current format is absurd and most suggestions, like Heath's, involve making it even more convoluted, which I think is a bad path to continue down.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm not sure that's the core problem with 3 on 3, but even if it is... Sure it's possible that teams will be more conservative, but maybe some teams will be more aggressive, trying to deny rivals a point and gain 3. It's worth a try because the current format is absurd and most suggestions, like Heath's, involve making it even more convoluted, which I think is a bad path to continue down.

Well I wasn't trying to make it more convoluted :laugh: I was trying to find a way to get rid of the shootout because I think it's the biggest gimmick of all. (And if I remember rightly I think it was introduced
because the league felt that kids would really enjoy it and it might help to bring in new fans? The logic being that tie games etc were boring).

My preference is to get a result in OT - even if they tweak OT a little bit by introducing a shot clock etc to prevent teams playing keep away, I think the majority of the games
would finish in the first 5 mins of OT.

Anyway the good news is I have zero clout in the NHL so nobody is going to be picking up my ideas and running with them. Just as well, huh ;)

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Well I wasn't trying to make it more convoluted :laugh: I was trying to find a way to get rid of the shootout because I think it's the biggest gimmick of all. (And if I remember rightly I think it was introduced
because the league felt that kids would really enjoy it and it might help to bring in new fans? The logic being that tie games etc were boring).

My preference is to get a result in OT - even if they tweak OT a little bit by introducing a shot clock etc to prevent teams playing keep away, I think the majority of the games
would finish in the first 5 mins of OT.

Anyway the good news is I have zero clout in the NHL so nobody is going to be picking up my ideas and running with them. Just as well, huh ;)

I too, would prefer a result in OT, rather than the Bettmanout.

I have a fear that they will try to push it on playoff hockey, though. :(

Nothing better than playoff hockey OT. :)

Reactions: Heath

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Totally agree about the shootout. But 3 on 3 isn't that far off. Pure gimmick. The more they try to force winning and create nonhockey rules and scenarios for that purpose, the further OT drifts away from real hockey and toward the shootout or some other nonsense. I tend to think a shot clock or random possession rules falls into this category. Just my opinion. But of course, no one in the NHL cares about my misanthropic bitching.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Totally agree about the shootout. But 3 on 3 isn't that far off. Pure gimmick. The more they try to force winning and create nonhockey rules and scenarios for that purpose, the further OT drifts away from real hockey and toward the shootout or some other nonsense. I tend to think a shot clock or random possession rules falls into this category. Just my opinion. But of course, no one in the NHL cares about my misanthropic *****ing.

Well, most older (not saying you are old) hockey fans are conservative and don’t want these glitzy gimmicks. I am one of those old carmugeons. Lol.

New fans might be seduced.

Hopefully they won’t change anything until I am long since in the grave.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well, most older (not saying you are old) hockey fans are conservative and don’t want these glitzy gimmicks. I am one of those old carmugeons. Lol.

New fans might be seduced.

Hopefully they won’t change anything until I am long since in the grave.
I concur, and I am indeed old. (Twice already this season I've found myself agreeing with Don Cherry. Alarming. :laugh:)

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

Do the players - via the NHLPA - have a say in those decisions. For example if the league went to 3 on 3 OT for the playoffs could the players vote against it?

I honestly think sudden death overtime in the playoffs is awesome and to remove it and introduce something like 3 on 3 OT would seriously damage hockey and it's popularity.
I really hope it never happens.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->