Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Canucks 10 PM ET - How Was the West Won?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Does anyone think Gudbranson's hit on Connelly was not intentional? If he doesn't get a suspension for that headshot

Good for Stephenson

Reactions: ovikovy817

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
79 needs to be part of our roster going forward. He has surplus of the thing our roster lacks most right now — heart.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
We’re right there with them.

How chiasson is on our PP1 is beyond me.

Even with the injuries, another embarrassing blowout should not be occurring this soon after the one in Philly.

Gonna get worse before it gets better, is my guess.

I think trotz is gone by mid-December.
One can only hope.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Watching Beagle's interview, "what we did last year didn't work". Ah, you are doing the same thing this year with a lesser experienced team. We had adversity 3 years ago, were a middle of the pack playoff team, still blew it.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I have mixed feelings about this game.
We didn't deserve to win, but with a little bit of luck, it could be 6-2 for Caps.

Holtby not good tonight.

Don't understand why Carlson plays 27+ minutes in a game that was over in the first period.
-Give him a rest
-Give the younger guys more minutes to feel the game on the NHL level. The game is better than the training to learn.

Gudbranson is a POS and a p*ssy. Hit Connolly from the blind side. But then he's afraid to fight Wilson. Willy need
Also, didn't like the non call when Dorsett hit Ovi in the numbers against the wall.

At least Stephenson had his first goal and Bowey first point. Congrats.

We need to decide ASAP. Tank for Dahlin or be a playoff team this year. Don't want us to finish like in 2013-14. Pick number 15 it's meh.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Apparently the Instigator rule only applies to a select few players. The real shocker is Wilson is one of them! :eek: I'm going to take a wild guess that the Cross Checking was probably run of the mill that a majority of players wouldn't get called for?

Such f***ing garbage.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
At this rate they'll have a new coach by Thanksgiving, maybe before. When Trotz keeps talking about how we can't do things the same as last year 10 games into this season it tells me that he has instilled no plan and has no identity for this year's team and that he personally still hasn't gotten over last year.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
We're seeing what we've known, which is that Barry's coaching tool-kit - particularly in terms of breaking out of the zone, maintaining possession, and driving play in the zone - has not evolved from like 2008. And when he has to coach a team that can't out-talent otherwise ordinary teams, his deficiencies are completely exposed. Why has Pittsburgh for years been able to withstand sustained injuries to top players and still stay at the top of the league - because they are organizationally sound and employ leading edge system play. We are miles - galaxies - away from that, and the team's ability to cover it up has evaporated. Caps have no clothes

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Well said. Also, purely from an offensive standpoint, you know you're in dangerous territory when the entire conceptual tree seems to be Easy Skill Goals or Hard-Earned Gritty Goals. In a nutshell, it's their organizational simplicity at its finest and why they fail at development. There's so much more to effective attacking than some cartoon finesse/grit non-sense such as this. It's such an oversimplified view. They need to work harder, yes, but they also need to work smarter when they're engaged and Trotz hasn't proven to be able to refine them much in this sense. The horse is already out of the barn, which is why he should have been axed in the summer. I don't think this dog is going to hunt, in part because they have such less skill but also, more importantly, such little hockey IQ and little evidence that it's anywhere close to where it needs to be.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The odd thing is that last year’s team was built on structure, team defense, and solid goaltending along with a distinct special teams advantage. The talent level dropped off for sure but stylistically there’s no reason they couldn’t adopt a similar approach especially given the injuries. Plenty of less talented teams are able to play a structured game. The Capitals right now look lost in both zones.

It sounds like Trotz is just flailing in the wind and offering up excuses.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Call me crazy but i like all this losing. At least there are no misunderstandings this time around. The team sucks. Injuries are no excuse. Teams win cups with more significant injuries. Coaching is abysmal. Goaltending is in playoff form already.
Not sure what to do here but i would definitely fire Trotz and tell him to go get past the second round for the first time in his career somewhere else. Then i would do something that the ownership and management has been refusing to do, hire a coach who won cups as a coach or in the least made in to the finals before.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lots of coach blame for a decimated roster. Someone has to be the fall guy I guess.

I guess the last step in the march toward total denial with this core is to fire another coach and hire an old has-been with a ring from a roster of winners.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
At this rate they'll have a new coach by Thanksgiving, maybe before. When Trotz keeps talking about how we can't do things the same as last year 10 games into this season it tells me that he has instilled no plan and has no identity for this year's team and that he personally still hasn't gotten over last year.

Their identity is underachieving....and it’s been instilled since 2005.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Lots of coach blame for a decimated roster. Someone has to be the fall guy I guess.

I guess the last step in the march toward total denial with this core is to fire another coach and hire an old has-been with a ring from a roster of winners.

I see it as realism, not denial. This team is undeniably worse than the Caps of the last two years in terms of talent. Those teams, under Trotz, still failed in the playoffs. In this salary cap world you can't make a bunch of hockey trades and the Caps don't have a ton of assets to move anyway, so why not try swapping out coaches? They suck now under Trotz and there's no indication they'll be better in the playoffs under Trotz if they even get in, so why not roll the dice with a new coach?

Plus Trotz's contract is up, so the timing is perfect. The org doesn't like to pay people not to work, but that's not a big issue here.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I'm not normally one to pile on a coach and call for the axe but Trotz and his staff deserve their share of blame. The team can still look disciplined and structured without having the talent they've normally had (see Ottawa last year). I haven't watched nearly as much hockey this season as I normally have but the games I've seen the team lacks any plan in exiting the zone, they run around while playing defense and don't make things hard for opposing teams (28th in GA), there's no identity on offense and if Ovie isn't scoring the team isn't scoring (20th in GF), the goalies are continually hung out to dry or playing poorly (28th in Save %), the penalty kill is dogshit (29th in PK%), and they've won 2 games in regulation out of 10 played.

Even if this all isn't his fault, leading up to this season and continuing now 10 games in he keeps mentioning last year's team, signifying to me that he's either incapable or unwilling to move on. If the leader of the team won't stop mentioning, how should we expect this year's team to move forward and create their own identity? Finally, I'll ask this question again: Trotz was exposed multiple times with the best and most complete roster in the league; why should we expect an improvement with a more flawed roster?

Reactions: twabby

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It might be a different story if Trotz was a developmental genius and the team was committed to a youth movement, but neither are the case.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

No no no, we don't get to play this game.

Just look at the defense, the simplest things they did last year they don't do now. I've said it in other games but the last 3 years with Trotz you could pretty much always tell where our defense was gonna break out from. They'd play behind the net, back and fourth if necessary, and then toss it up the wings. They can't even do that now. They're geting walked around as if they're being told too and these are things that Trotz is supposed to be known for.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lol that some fine dime store psychoanalysis....;).

I’m fine with moving on from Trotz. It’s time for a fresh face anyways I guess.

I just don’t believe Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson will win a Cup in DC. I have lost all faith in the team core. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy them when they’re playing well, but I have zero illusions about these guys winning a Cup here.

I just find the repeated scapegoating of one coach after another tiresome and pointless. More so, the constant droning on and on about Trotz....as if any coach could turn this decimated roster into a winner if they would just fire him today...

Blame the damn stars of this team. And sure, you could say every coach that Ovy and company have helped get canned had this fault or that, didn’t make this tactical adjustment or that one, but in the end it’s the same old story with the core players....failure. Try beating that drum for a while instead of the constant finger pointing at everyone EXCEPT the star players.

My last comment is an answer....we shouldn’t expect improvement with a flawed roster, from ANY coach. I’ll add, the most complete roster with a core that is flawed, is a flawed roster.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No no no, we don't get to play this game.

Just look at the defense, the simplest things they did last year they don't do now. I've said it in other games but the last 3 years with Trotz you could pretty much always tell where our defense was gonna break out from. They'd play behind the net, back and fourth if necessary, and then toss it up the wings. They can't even do that now. They're geting walked around as if they're being told too and these are things that Trotz is supposed to be known for.

Please be specific. What simple things could Trotz do to keep Orlov from giving the puck away, to wake up Carlson from a multi-year stretch of below par play (for his talent)? You’re mistaking shit execution on ice by players who shouldn’t be in the lineup as bad coaching.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It might be a different story if Trotz was a developmental genius and the team was committed to a youth movement, but neither are the case.

Committing to a youth movement makes zero business sense today if you’re Ted. Trying to make the playoffs is their goal....that’s it. So, if the organizational marching orders are just that, you keep Trotz and get him capable players or you get a new coach and you get him capable players.

Do people really think Sutter could come in tomorrow and flip a switch and make these players all instantly play well?

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this game.
We didn't deserve to win, but with a little bit of luck, it could be 6-2 for Caps.

Holtby not good tonight.

Don't understand why Carlson plays 27+ minutes in a game that was over in the first period.
-Give him a rest
-Give the younger guys more minutes to feel the game on the NHL level. The game is better than the training to learn.

Gudbranson is a POS and a p*ssy. Hit Connolly from the blind side. But then he's afraid to fight Wilson. Willy need
Also, didn't like the non call when Dorsett hit Ovi in the numbers against the wall.

At least Stephenson had his first goal and Bowey first point. Congrats.

We need to decide ASAP. Tank for Dahlin or be a playoff team this year. Don't want us to finish like in 2013-14. Pick number 15 it's meh.

I was looking at Gudbranson, he actually missed most of last season.. he had surgery on his wrist.. that’s why he doesn’t wanna fight.. and with the score, can’t blame him either

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was looking at Gudbranson, he actually missed most of last season.. he had surgery on his wrist.. that’s why he doesn’t wanna fight.. and with the score, can’t blame him either

They should have removed some of his teeth then with some lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->