Pre-Game Talk: Caps at Canes, G6, Monday, 7-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Standard note to mods: Pls lock when Hank posts his max-effort GDT. And more importantly, don't f*** with it after he posts it.

This could very well be the last game in Raleigh this season, and I'm OK with that. Obviously, I'd love to see a Game 7 in Washington on Wednesday, but even if we get there, it's going to take a post-Easter miracle to come out of that one alive. But it's April 21 and there are only 125 posts in our Draft thread, so that's a win in my book. It's been a great run in 2019 and if this is the end, we did well. We played a bunch of must-win games and won a lot of them. And the "highs" this year were pretty high for a team that's not going to win the Stanley Cup.

Svech should be back Monday, but it doesn't look good for Martinook or Ferland (who has likely ended his Hurricanes career with a whimper). I like our chances against Washington at home, not just because of the crowd (which has been amazing to watch from afar this year), but because we can match lines. I think this is the reason we look so overmatched in Washington. Our team is so full of holes right now, that winning on the road is going to be tough against any team, let alone a team as powerful as Washington. At least at home, we can match lines and protect our bottom six a little.

One more thing, if I may. I think we're embarrassing ourselves a bit, both on this board and on social media, with our total overreactions to every play in this series. No, the referees aren't fixing the games. No, the NHL isn't maneuvering to hand Washington this series. No, Tom Wilson hasn't done anything suspendable in this series. I know it's been 10 years, but let's have some class and act like we've been here before. The playoffs are hard, and we're a decided underdog (even with Ferland, Martinook and Svechnikov). We are ahead of schedule, getting some great experience, and we have a bright future. Let's can it with the inferiority complex. It's a bad look.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
One more thing, if I may. I think we're embarrassing ourselves a bit, both on this board and on social media, with our total overreactions to every play in this series. No, the referees aren't fixing the games. No, the NHL isn't maneuvering to hand Washington this series. No, Tom Wilson hasn't done anything suspendable in this series. I know it's been 10 years, but let's have some class and act like we've been here before. The playoffs are hard, and we're a decided underdog (even with Ferland, Martinook and Svechnikov). We are ahead of schedule, getting some great experience, and we have a bright future. Let's can it with the inferiority complex. It's a bad look.

One last comment on this, it's not just us with the perceived slights:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Standard note to mods: Pls lock when Hank posts his max-effort GDT. And more importantly, don't **** with it after he posts it.

This could very well be the last game in Raleigh this season, and I'm OK with that. Obviously, I'd love to see a Game 7 in Washington on Wednesday, but even if we get there, it's going to take a post-Easter miracle to come out of that one alive. But it's April 21 and there are only 125 posts in our Draft thread, so that's a win in my book. It's been a great run in 2019 and if this is the end, we did well. We played a bunch of must-win games and won a lot of them. And the "highs" this year were pretty high for a team that's not going to win the Stanley Cup.

Svech should be back Monday, but it doesn't look good for Martinook or Ferland (who has likely ended his Hurricanes career with a whimper). I like our chances against Washington at home, not just because of the crowd (which has been amazing to watch from afar this year), but because we can match lines. I think this is the reason we look so overmatched in Washington. Our team is so full of holes right now, that winning on the road is going to be tough against any team, let alone a team as powerful as Washington. At least at home, we can match lines and protect our bottom six a little.

Yeah! Act like you've been there before!

...have we been there before?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Been awhile since I've said this but the team had success more than not when I started it. Go be strong like Downtown Durham bridge. It may not be March anymore but no messing around tomorrow. Win or go home, and I ain't ready to go home yet. Get that victory. Just f***ing win please.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'd like for us to at least push this to game 7. Win one last time this season at home even if we lose in game 7.

With all of this next year talk, I hope the Hurricanes top brass makes a legit push to get talent in the offseason. I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say they barely ever do. I forget how much under the salary cap we are, but I realize some upcoming extended contracts will take up some of that room. Maybe we'll get lucky with a UFA(s) for once.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'd like for us to at least push this to game 7. Win one last time this season at home even if we lose in game 7.

With all of this next year talk, I hope the Hurricanes top brass makes a legit push to get talent in the offseason. I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say they barely ever do. I forget how much under the salary cap we are, but I realize some upcoming extended contracts will take up some of that room. Maybe we'll get lucky with a UFA(s) for once.

We've got a lot of legit talent in Charlotte. Give those kids a chance. Maybe make one good trade -- excess D for a top six forward. But even if we don't, the future is bright.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Been out and about with family. Glad to have plenty of reasons to be joyful after a horrible loss.

Disappointed to see Svech most likely won't play===but, hey, maybe he'll be free for game 7? ;)

Hope you who are fortunate enough to be there, cheer your hearts OUT for them, no matter what!

I think we've got a great chance to win. but i wouldn't be surprised at either outcome.

#TakeWarning

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Hey JERKS! Attention , please:

tenor.gif

What magical superstitious sports rituals will you be performing today/tomorrow?

-obvs we need to keep wascar one word lol
-i realized i moved my desecrated ALL CAPS playoff rag to a different spot, so I have to take some of the blame :sarcasm:

The hockey gods are obviously not pleased. they must be appeased. DO YOUR PART. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We've got a lot of legit talent in Charlotte. Give those kids a chance. Maybe make one good trade -- excess D for a top six forward. But even if we don't, the future is bright.
We have one top 6 (Necas) and four bottom 6 (Kuokkanen, Gauthier, Geekie, & Saarela) capable forwards in Charlotte that could make the roster next season. Kuok could be a top 6 if on a line with a couple big scorers, Gauthier could be top 6 if he plays his game for 60 minutes every game, and Necas could be top 3 if he develops but may be a stretch for a top 6 next season.

I don’t see them as much of an answer but to keep the bottom 9 on the cheap.

How will we handle this with Martinook, Wallmark and Foegele on the bottom 6 with McGinn looking like a re-signing?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Since they Emergency recalled Bishop I assume atm the thought is they won't go. Or just making sure.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Hey JERKS! Attention , please:

tenor.gif

What magical superstitious sports rituals will you be performing today/tomorrow?

-obvs we need to keep carwash one word lol
-i realized i moved my desecrated ALL CAPS playoff rag to a different spot, so I have to take some of the blame :sarcasm:

The hockey gods are obviously not pleased. they must be appeased. DO YOUR PART. :laugh:
wascar... Hank knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad