GDT: Caps at blues 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
rewatch the Kempny hit. Arms tend to point skyward when guys gets concussed, when laying on their back.

I suspect the more extended they are, the greater the severity.

i
What you're referring to is called the "fencing" response. You'll see it commonly in MMA when a guy is knocked out. It's when the muscles involuntarily flex and the body pushes them out in front. There is no correlation to the severity of a concussion and the extent of the arms or even a 1 to 1 with the response and concussion, it's literally just a bodily response to head trauma.

Fencing_response

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You guys realize this is like one of the last preseason games, right? I'm reading this thread and scratching my head.

Yes, the Blues played like animals, that's because they probably had half that roster scrapping to actually make the team.

Yes, guys like Stephenson are sleep walking, he was just on a SC Championship team, he couldn't not make this team if he even tried.

We have a locked up team with maybe one actual starting position up for grabs, the rest is a competition for the the first guys to be on the healthy scratched list. If you're watching these games and expecting anything of substance I got some baaaaaad news for ya.

And don't even get me started with the garbage about preseason meaning something.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What you're referring to is called the "fencing" response. You'll see it commonly in MMA when a guy is knocked out. It's when the muscles involuntarily flex and the body pushes them out in front. There is no correlation to the severity of a concussion and the extent of the arms or even a 1 to 1 with the response and concussion, it's literally just a bodily response to head trauma.

Fencing_response

So.... did Kempny have that response or not? I couldn’t really tell from the short clip

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Fencing_response
I've always wondered if my arms had ever done that when I got a concussion. No one ever said anything. I remember my first concussion when I was high jumping when I was 15 years old. Ya Ya I missed the mat and hit the hardwood floor in the Gym. I was out cold. When I came to I asked a classmate what happened and he told me I missed the mat. All I was concerned about at the time was if I made the jump. Apparently I did. Everything was a blur for the next half hour or so then I blacked out again and didnt wake up until 30 hours later in a hospital room. I didnt remember a damn thing about those 30 hours. I was told that I threw up a lot. It fricken sucked. That was in the early 80s, before concussions were taken serious.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So.... did Kempny have that response or not? I couldn’t really tell from the short clip

It sure looked that way to me. Its not just the arms up, its the person not moving at all. He got the elbow on the jaw, and then the helmeted head donked off the ice.

Flashing back to the 1980's... he just got his bell rung

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

brutalbeast

May 3, 2018
Concussions are nasty. Its a terrible feeling. Everything is a blur. You feel nauseous and light headed. The part when you lose your balance and cant stay in your feet really sucks. Some are obviously more severe. Sometimes you dont feel the effects until later. And there is definitely long term effects. Most people think you have to be hit in the head to get a concussion. But that isn't true.
yes sir, i had hit my head hard and was only out for maybe a second or 2 but the effects of a concussion did not show up till 2 or 3 hours after when i had tried to get some sleep i got sick and dizzy as shit , long story shorter i was out of work for a month and on light work for 3 weeks

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not that anybody gives a crap but my top 10 thoughts while watching the game...Disclaimer, I'm trashed.

1. Copley looked outstanding(game of his f***ing life), in command and ready for his chance. Actually looked Holtby like...big, challenging shots and super athletic and battled every time a rebound was up for grabs. Looked like he was communicating on the ice and a vocal goaltender is a great thing. Didn't waste money on that DaveArt mask(freaking beauty if you haven't seen it up close yet). He's our backup until Samsonov dominates the A. What's the nickname? Cops? Copy? Copper? Copo? Gotta get something rolling. All legit backups have a sweet nickname.
  2. Steve-o is not a 4th line player. Burt better get his shit together or he's going to be out of a job. 18 looked fast and fit perfectly with Eller. 20-18 compliment each other very very well.
  3. Siegenthaler is damn impressive. The years he spent playing in the Swiss mens leauge have obviously prepared him quicker than I expected. Waivers aside...he'd be my #7. Bowey will likely be the guy though because of waivers, his goal and his good game tonight, but man am I'm excited for the future blueline. My god if we could put more snarl in Sieg's game...
  4. Dowd is the 4C. Much as a lot of people don't like it...he's a righty and he can win faceoffs. We're going with a formula that worked for us.
  5. Boyd is the 13th forward.
  6. Gersich scored on a lucky sand wedge shot of a goal, good deal. Goal scorers score but he needs a year in the A. He'll be a player, but he needs some time for the rest of his game. I expect him to be a full time player next season, no questions asked.
  7. Walker is the first guy up from Hershey in case of an injury. He's #14. He's not a gimmick, the guy can play the shit out of hockey in the simplest form. He does all the stuff you don't notice and he does them well. His goal didn't hurt either.
  8. Liam Obrien is a warrior. I love the guy but I don't think he's ever going to make it out of the A in our organization.
  9. How many teams can say they've got an Irishman and an Australian in the penalty box together after a brawl? HAH! Trashed Irish me approves.
  10. Holtby grinning like he's about to lose his shit laughing after 2 minutes for clean Tom Wilson checking was classic. Also he grows beard hair like a maniac, he'll have a full beard again in like 3 days.
GO CAPS GO :cheers:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
It sure looked that way to me. Its not just the arms up, its the person not moving at all. He got the elbow on the jaw, and then the helmeted head donked off the ice.

Flashing back to the 1980's... he just got his bell rung

Bell rung...lol.

I remember that Wendel Clark hit on Bruce Bell behind the net. Wonder how many games he'd get in today's game for that?

The hit must be out there in YouTube land.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not that anybody gives a crap but my top 10 thoughts while watching the game...Disclaimer, I'm trashed.

1. Copley looked outstanding(game of his ****ing life), in command and ready for his chance. Actually looked Holtby like...big, challenging shots and super athletic and battled every time a rebound was up for grabs. Looked like he was communicating on the ice and a vocal goaltender is a great thing. Didn't waste money on that DaveArt mask(freaking beauty if you haven't seen it up close yet). He's our backup until Samsonov dominates the A. What's the nickname? Cops? Copy? Copper? Copo? Gotta get something rolling. All legit backups have a sweet nickname.
How about just plain old PC.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am thinking about going to the revenge game on Sunday afternoon.

When I say revenge, I mean a penalty free snoozer.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

1. Copley looked outstanding(game of his ****ing life), in command and ready for his chance. Actually looked Holtby like...big, challenging shots and super athletic and battled every time a rebound was up for grabs. Looked like he was communicating on the ice and a vocal goaltender is a great thing. Didn't waste money on that DaveArt mask(freaking beauty if you haven't seen it up close yet). He's our backup until Samsonov dominates the A. What's the nickname? Cops? Copy? Copper? Copo? Gotta get something rolling. All legit backups have a sweet nickname.
  2. Steve-o is not a 4th line player. Burt better get his **** together or he's going to be out of a job. 18 looked fast and fit perfectly with Eller. 20-18 compliment each other very very well.
  3. Siegenthaler is damn impressive. The years he spent playing in the Swiss mens leauge have obviously prepared him quicker than I expected. Waivers aside...he'd be my #7. Bowey will likely be the guy though because of waivers, his goal and his good game tonight, but man am I'm excited for the future blueline. My god if we could put more snarl in Sieg's game...
  4. Dowd is the 4C. Much as a lot of people don't like it...he's a righty and he can win faceoffs. We're going with a formula that worked for us.
  5. Boyd is the 13th forward.
  6. Gersich scored on a lucky sand wedge shot of a goal, good deal. Goal scorers score but he needs a year in the A. He'll be a player, but he needs some time for the rest of his game. I expect him to be a full time player next season, no questions asked.
  7. Walker is the first guy up from Hershey in case of an injury. He's #14. He's not a gimmick, the guy can play the **** out of hockey in the simplest form. He does all the stuff you don't notice and he does them well. His goal didn't hurt either.
  8. Liam Obrien is a warrior. I love the guy but I don't think he's ever going to make it out of the A in our organization.
  9. How many teams can say they've got an Irishman and an Australian in the penalty box together after a brawl? HAH! Trashed Irish me approves.
  10. Holtby grinning like he's about to lose his **** laughing after 2 minutes for clean Tom Wilson checking was classic. Also he grows beard hair like a maniac, he'll have a full beard again in like 3 days.

You know the definition of an Australian, it's an Irishman that got caught! That's a Seamus Kennedy line. Being that your a PA resident, your choice of beverage I assume was Yuengling and if so was it lager or Premier. Personally I'm a Premier guy, I guess I'm a disciple of the Jim Gaffigan philosophy on the subject

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
You know the definition of an Australian, it's an Irishman that got caught! That's a Seamus Kennedy line. Being that your a PA resident, your choice of beverage I assume was Yuengling and if so was it lager or Premier. Personally I'm a Premier guy, I guess I'm a disciple of the Jim Gaffigan philosophy on the subject

I'm a transplant, I'd never but that stuff in my body.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
  1. Liam Obrien is a warrior. I love the guy but I don't think he's ever going to make it out of the A in our organization.
  2. How many teams can say they've got an Irishman and an Australian in the penalty box together after a brawl? HAH! Trashed Irish me approves.
I approve of your entire comment but I don’t understand, Trashed Irish me is just ME, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad