Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Tyler Graovac for 2018 5th round pick

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The story is that it allows them to protect one of Beagle or Eller. But was anyone really that afraid of losing Beagle or Eller in the expansion draft? Especially with Grubauer and Schmidt still sitting unprotected? You could expose 14 really talented players if you wanted to, but Vegas can still only pick one of them.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
...to protect Eller.
Which also suggests Oshie will not be signed prior to the roster freeze because then there would be no reason for this deal.

It's a slight bit high for a player that has passed through waivers at least once but they were up against it in meeting the exposure requirements. He'll be in the running at 4LW/scratch with Stephenson/Walker/O'Brien/Boyd probably but I wouldn't count on him making it. I wouldn't keep him over Stephenson or Walker unless there's a clear edge in camp. I'd be somewhat surprised given his career to date with Minnesota.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
couldn't they have just signed brett connolly and saved the pick?

My guess is that they're waiting to get larger pieces in place first before coming to terms with Connolly. They want to fit him in with what cap space they have left, rather than try to work around his contract.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My guess is that they're waiting to get larger pieces in place first before coming to terms with Connolly. They want to fit him in with what cap space they have left, rather than try to work around his contract.
It also requires Connolly to agree. If the Caps give him a QO then Connolly can simply file for arbitration and have his numbers decide what he gets.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The more I think about this, the more upset I am about the principles behind this deal. Obviously the actual consequences are rather minimal (a 5th round pick), but the management style behind it frustrates me to no end.

This trade embodies the continued meaningless squandering of draft picks. It's like the trades upwards for Vanecek and Walker. Sure the pieces lost aren't substantial individually, but in aggregate it becomes a drain on the farm system.

Graovac was on waivers twice this past season. Boudreau openly criticized him on more than one occasion. Graovac floundered in even 4th line assignments. I know not everyone here is a believer in Corsi, but his Corsi was literally 3rd worst in the entire league. And that was in spite of receiving nearly twice as many draws in the offensive zone than the defensive, so he wasn't being given brutal shutdown assignments. He was just bad.

So the player acquired wasn't particularly good, what about protecting Eller/Beagle? Sure, in a vacuum that seems like a worthy move. But couldn't that have been done cheaper? Graovac certainly couldn't be the only plug out there available to fill that slot, and someone probably would be willing to move theirs for a 6th or 7th. And even more to the point, why bother? Why bother giving away assets at all to protect Eller/Beagle? There's no point in giving up assets when the protecting for those players is the presence of Schmidt and Grubauer on the exposed list. Vegas can only take one player, after all.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So gmbm's trades/signings of Orpik and Eller is what he's still behind/trying to protect.

Zero reason Eller should be protected. I'd be happy to give him away for FREE. He's nowhere close to being worth a 3.5 cap hit

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So gmbm's trades/signings of Orpik and Eller is what he's still behind/trying to protect.

Zero reason Eller should be protected. I'd be happy to give him away for FREE. He's nowhere close to being worth a 3.5 cap hit

I don't get how he is protecting Orpik or behind him, or are you one of the folks that thinks what GM tells the media is actually what he intends on doing?

Regarding Eller? Contract is a bit rough but he is actually a solid 3rd line C, and whether it's the eye test or the advanced stats, they both support it. Giving up Eller for nothing would be silly.

People who want to complain will find a way to make a 5th round pick seem like the world, most of us will carry on.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
For reference, the last ten 5th round picks for the Capitals

Connor Hobbs
Shane Gerisch
Blake Heinrich
Connor Carrick
Patrick Koudys
Caleb Herbert
Brett Flemming
Pierre St. Laurant
Joel Broda
Brett Leffler
Maxime Lacroix

So only one guy who actually has any minutes in the NHL. Most of these dudes don't even have Wikipedia pages.

Hell, I even made up one guy to see if anyone would notice.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
probably his best goal last year:
[NHL2]t-277350912/c-46519503[/NHL2]

the rest:

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-45820303[/NHL2]

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-48940603[/NHL2]

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-48945803[/NHL2]

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-47490603[/NHL2]

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-49836103[/NHL2]

[NHL2]t-277350912/c-48819903[/NHL2]

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For reference, the last ten 5th round picks for the Capitals

Connor Hobbs
Shane Gerisch
Blake Heinrich
Connor Carrick
Patrick Koudys
Caleb Herbert
Brett Flemming
Pierre St. Laurant
Joel Broda
Brett Leffler
Maxime Lacroix

So only one guy who actually has any minutes in the NHL. Most of these dudes don't even have Wikipedia pages.

Hell, I even made up one guy to see if anyone would notice.

You forgot Malenstyn and Jonsson-Fjallby in 2016.

Also, Hobbs is a top 10 prospect in the Caps system and Gersich is probably top 5 (arguably 4th). A good deal of that is simply how weak the Caps system is, but Gerisch and Hobbs both have shown promise.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just because a lot of picks don't pan out doesn't mean you throw them away on likely sub-replacement level players. I get the motivation but the exposure requirement didn't exactly sneak up on them.

On the plus side, his last name sounds like a cutting-edge vacuum cleaner.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Glad most people are rational about this trade. The only time you make a trade for a player like this is expansion, everyone in the Caps organization fans included could care less if the guy never even put on a practice jersey. I hope everyone cares equally less about the 5th round pick. Just by pure guessing alone I would imagine there are more successful undrafted free agents than successful 5th round picks.

What I don't get is everyone of the writers on Twitter throwing out there that this means the Caps will protect Eller now, why? I am protecting Jay Beagle 10 expansion drafts in a row over Lars Eller. Eller has double the contract as ay Beagle and produces...less. What does Lars Eller bring to the table at $3.5 that Jay Beagle doesn't at $1.75????? I am protecting Beagle, Trotz loves him, the guy can do so much, fans love him, and according to Isabelle on Japers Rink GM's call about him every season.

Just my two cents, would be nice to clear out any extra cap space they can this off season and $1.75 million could be huge. If the cap goes up to $75 Million like the rumor Oshie is probably gone. Take out the Eller contract and they get the same amount (pretty much) as the $77 Million they were hoping for but now with the ability to stay under the cap. That math probably sounds confusing haha it was never one of my strongest subjects hopefully you get the point.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Just because a lot of picks don't pan out doesn't mean you throw them away on likely sub-replacement level players. I get the motivation but the exposure requirement didn't exactly sneak up on them.

On the plus side, his last name sounds like a cutting-edge vacuum cleaner.

if you wanna get technical, hes kinda like another tom wilson but cheaper at 625k

literally same size, except graovac is a little taller

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's the principle of wasting picks (something they've done routinely for a while now) more than the actual draft pick sacrificed. It signifies more of the same from the front office in terms of development priorities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad