Post-Game Talk: Caps 3 Jets 2 We suck in OT edition

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Rocket Richard battle takes centre stage Laine and Ovechkin go head to head in chase for goal-scoring supremacy

Jets forward Mathieu Perreault was asked if he had a theory for why the secondary scoring has gone quiet or if the dry spell was cause for concern.
“I’m not sure. When (Laine) is scoring like that it feels like we only need to defend, let him score goals and we’ll be OK,” said Perreault, who has gone nine games without a point but is battling back after dealing with a flu virus. “We obviously lost our last game, but before that we had success, the team’s playing well. So we’re not really too worried about it at all.”

But Maurice said that the NHL doesn't work like that, when asked about it after the Philly game.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The Little, wheeler, Buff mob are back in the saddle tonight.
Put away the pitch forks - the team is holding on while 3 of their D men are out along with 2 centers (including our #1).
What did you guys expect? 6 and 0 on the road with half a team? What would you consider a good record on this road trip?

As for the game -
Team looks real tired - we look slow and we're not.
Helle had his best game of the season IMO
Wheeler needs Scheif back real bad - he just looks bagged right now - he's playing too much hockey and making mistakes as a result.
No further comment on our 1st and 2nd lines - because these aren't our 1st and 2nd lines.
I hope Hendricks is OK - Dano is not the answer to our prayers.

Very happy with a point tonight - I honestly thought we would get nothing out of these last 2 road games.

Our injured would probably be playing if these games were must wins - smart move in keeping them out of the lineup as long as possible - but very painful to watch this team when a few very big pieces are sitting.
We'll be fine.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya I’ll take a look, maybe they don’t take into overtime into the equation?

Just played around with it, that is the 5 on 5 but doesn’t include even time for the ot.
Natural Stat trick might not have been finished updating the game when that first screen cap was taken? They also report Total, EV, 5v5 (included in EV), 5v4 PP and 4v5 PK - but not 4v3 PP/PK or 5v3 PP/PK. So the missing time is probably in there since there was that WSH 5v3 in the 1st period and the OT 4v3 PK as well.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Excellent game by Hellebuyck.

That Buff pinch in OT stunk.

e19d6f79-195b-47d2-83cd-b452200bb7d2.gif

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Agree, we're starting to look very tired as a team. Not crisp.
Liked Roslo's game. He's been fairly invisible lately but looked better tonight.
3 on 3 needs speed out there and players who can still get back strong even when winded.
I don't know why we just don't try something different. It's not only that we're losing in overtime, but we look pretty bad doing it as well. The talent on this team should shine in 3 on 3.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
It was very disappointing to lose that one the way we did because Helly was such a rock and because we fought so hard in the third. I'm still happy for a point though.

Josh Morrisey was absolutely beasting all over the place. I think JR will be allright he's just having some problems with the stronger men right now.

Great to see Pate keep it rollin.

I didn't like all the penalties but a couple of them seemed like weak-ass crap.

Oh, and can we just give Helly the Vezina now? Since the stinker vs Nash he's been lights out especially these last two.

We're coming very close to winning these games even with big-time injuries, flu bugs and not clicking like we usually do. I think that's a great sign.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That's on Maurice. Too much Wheeler in OT... yet again. Same old, same old, OT deal...

Sadly Maurice sent him back out exhausted (again). It was obvious.
If Buff's pinch had kept the puck in who knows maybe we score but then again with the amount of guys approaching double digits in games played without a goal it seems unlikely.
Was there any info on why Stastny missed some shits during the game (went to dressing room).?

Reactions: ocdaddy

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Really?

They won the 5v5 Corsi tonight, and by the 3rd period were dominating the Caps in possession. Sure, they gave up some good scoring chances, but they are down 3 of their top 5 D and two of their top Cs.

All in all, I think this has been a successful road trip. The Jets have shown that they have good depth and a system that is resilient to lots of player change.

View attachment 104333

I thought the Jets played the best game of the road trip. The whole team was extremely hard on pucks and they created a bunch of turnovers. Despite all the doom and gloom that was a good game we played.

They are however back to taking too many useless penalties. The 5 on 3 to start the game was a bad omen.

I'm not so upset about OT. I don't get all the angst other than I guess all the Buff naysayers want to get their shots in. We probably don't win the shootout anyway.

Good road game and well deserved point. Win tomorrow now!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not on the last play of the game. He definitely had a better game but has no offence and is getting out muscled on some battles.

Everyone gets out muscled on some plays.
Little was quite solid.
I thought he made a poor choice on the slash in OT since Buff seemed to have cut off the threat already.
Frigging refs put their whistles away for most of the 3rd.
Watched Buff get sticked in the face and didn't call it.
The NHL seems to be the only pro-sport that completely admits that the standard for a penalty changes from game to game, period to period, situation to situation.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Happy for the point.

I thought the Little lne generally played well. Laine was too wound up for most of the game. I guess he wanted to out duel Ovi.

Hellebuyck was very impressive tonight.

With respect to OT, I am very surprised they don’t have Ehlers out there. He’s the type of player that would be amazing with all that ice.

Anyways, not surprised with the result. We need our players back.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I thought the Jets played the best game of the road trip. The whole team was extremely hard on pucks and they created a bunch of turnovers. Despite all the doom and gloom that was a good game we played.

They are however back to taking too many useless penalties. The 5 on 3 to start the game was a bad omen.

I'm not so upset about OT. I don't get all the angst other than I guess all the Buff naysayers want to get their shots in. We probably don't win the shootout anyway.

Good road game and well deserved point. Win tomorrow now!

The team certainly tried hard enough and really pushed hard in the 3rd.
I liked Poolmans last few shifts in the 3rd he made a couple of really strong plays.
That's the most confidence I've had in him for a while.

If the Jets could pull off a regulation win over Nashville that would make this a very successful trip.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that the first game we get the troops back will be a stinker.
But then I think it's full steam ahead.

On to the next game!!!

Cue the music @Mud Turtle

Reactions: Jets 31

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Maurice should try Ehlers-Stastny-Laine on 3-on-3. Gain possession first and then keep it with strong skating and hard passes, until you score.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Everyone gets out muscled on some plays.
Little was quite solid.
I thought he made a poor choice on the slash in OT since Buff seemed to have cut off the threat already.
Frigging refs put their whistles away for most of the 3rd.
Watched Buff get sticked in the face and didn't call it.
The NHL seems to be the only pro-sport that completely admits that the standard for a penalty changes from game to game, period to period, situation to situation.

I have no idea what a penalty is anymore this year and it's just not Jets games its like every ref even the ones working together have different rule books.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Top line was good tonight, were creating chances and had good offensive zone time. Thought they were pretty tidy in their own end and through the middle, Little simply dominant on the dot.

ESL with another solid game, Laine was very good again and Ehlers had a lot of jump. Good game by Stastny but thought he struggled a bit along the wall, ended up on the wrong side of the puck a bit. That's the way it goes sometimes.

PCR with a nice game for all the talk of Little struggling, Perreault really needs to pot one, couple of really good chances and good zone time but couldn't connect again.

Armia had a nice game, Tanev was a bit erratic, had some good forechecks but you never got the sense anything was going to happen. Just a lot of really fast, hectic play that mainly led nowhere. Hendricks, hope he's ok but he was non existent out there up to that point.

Very good game from Buff, questionable pinch at the end, probably should have held back but trying to make a play to get the puck back Wheeler needs to do better in backing him up.

Chiarot was Chiarot, Not sure what he was looking at on the 2nd goal by Ovi, watched him whack it three times as Buff at on the ice. Good behind the goal line, weak gaps again.

Morrissey, really strong, very smooth game. Myers wasn't awful, took care of the puck more tonight, still pretty bad moving the puck in transition.

Morrow and Poolman survived. Poolman was the better of the two but they really struggled managing their gaps.

Helle best Jet tonight.

Need to get healthy, simple as that. It was a good road point but missing so many regulars is starting to show. Biggest issue right now is their gap game, puck retrievals and zone exits are suffering and it's really hurting their transition game. Trouba, Enstrom and Kuli will make a huge difference and Scheifele and Lowry will help make it much more dangerous.

OT winner is on Maurice imo, poor bench management to have those three on the ice at that point after killing the penalty. Wheeeler in particular was really gassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad