Post-Game Talk: Caps 3 Jets 2 We suck in OT edition

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I am wondering why the media around Jets is so bad. There must be some really good sports journalists in Canada but those doesn’t show up on Jets matches apparently.

There is hardly never anything about the actual on ice happenings. It is Laine this and that, it was a grinder, injuries and thats about it. I mean I love the kid but I have heard hundreds of times how he grows into his body, skates and will become more overall player.

Reactions: sipowicz

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That penalty will get called all day nowadays. Whenever you reach with your stick in the hands area it will be a penalty.
Little lost body position and therefore had to try to tie up his stick.
After watching 40+ games this season, I have also gotten the impression that 9 times out of 10 they will call a slashing penalty when your stick gets into the hands of the puck carrier. It was a clumsy and unnecessary penalty taken by the VETERAN Little, since it looked like Buff was keeping up on the play and would have been able to cut off the Washington player.

Reactions: Ippenator

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The first Little penalty was B.S. McLlennan also blew it by claiming Little should have kept moving feet like Kusnetsov, except Kusnestsov also stopped moving his feet. That was a good back check.

Mother****ers had it in for Little tonight.

At least my username is relevant again.

Reactions: Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am not talking about Corsi, I am talking about what I saw with my eyes in the quality of chances they gave up (and have been giving up this entire road trip).

I am hoping that returning to health will fix these issues. I wanna see the Jets of 1 month ago back.
Overall, the Jets' effort and puck pressure was terrific, and they also did a good job of moving the puck for the most part. As I noted earlier, they did have some breakdowns defensively, but that's not a huge surprise when you are patching together D pairs with 3 top D and two core centres out.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Pomo again opts for tired Little and Wheeler in OT, when you have the leagues hottest hands waiting with fresh legs on the bench! This stinks rely stinks!

Satanan tuhkamuna!

Reactions: 1OApick

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Pomo again opts for tired Little and Wheeler in OT, when you have the leagues hottest hands waiting with fresh legs on the bench! This stinks rely stinks!

Satanan tuhkamuna!
No offence but Wheeler and Little have been stone cold and they were tired. At the same time there is Ehlers and Patty on fire at the bench..

Maybe PoMo was after confidence boost for vets...

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I think Pomo himself lacks confidence to go for a win OT, just had to get that of my chest..HATE LOOSING LIKE THAT!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I realize the team plays one game at a time but..........

3-1-1 on this road trip with half our D core out......well done boys we pretty much have second place in our division wrapped up so let’s get healthy and see what we can do this year in the playoffs.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
@Ducky10 , Didn’t Buff block the initial shot while going down and then lost track of the puck?

Are you saying Laine was referring to himself there? Just want to clarify your post. I do think it was a perfect time for Laine to collapse and help and he tried but didn’t do enough. It’s fine. It’s a lesson to learn that I’m sure he won’t forget.
yes he was referring to himself. he said he had the best view in the house for ov's 600th.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love to cheer against him when he is playing us and even hurl insults at him when I am watching the games by myself. But I will set down the stones I throw in a moment of ceasefire to give it up to the Great 8.

600 goals in 990 games against the goalies of this era is a major accomplishment.

Now that I got that out of the way.......Ovie YOU SUCK and you are going to choke in the playoffs again. Laine will send you an autographed photo of him kissing the cup when it happens because that will be as close as you ever get to it.

:razz:

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Buff looked like a bullfighter on that pinch.....you go all in on the pinch - have to get a piece of the puck, or the man.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought the Jets played the best game of the road trip. The whole team was extremely hard on pucks and they created a bunch of turnovers. Despite all the doom and gloom that was a good game we played.

They are however back to taking too many useless penalties. The 5 on 3 to start the game was a bad omen.

I'm not so upset about OT. I don't get all the angst other than I guess all the Buff naysayers want to get their shots in. We probably don't win the shootout anyway.

Good road game and well deserved point. Win tomorrow now!
I rarely get all the over the top angst around here. We battle another 1st place team to a draw on the road, with a slight possession advantage and then lose in a gimmicky 3-3 OT. Chances are pretty good in the playoffs both teams won't be 2 men down so it doesn't really matter much that we aren't great at 3-3 when the real games start. We are 3-1-1 on a tough road trip with a ton of injuries and battling the flu bug along the way. As locked into 2nd as we are it is pretty impressive we have remained as engaged as we have been. I know it is fun sport to single out your favorite target after a loss and find something to throw darts at.

As long as we get healthy for the playoffs we are going to be a handful. I'd also like to see Mo give some of the vets, especially Wheeler a couple nights off during the last week or 2 of the season to recharge a bit.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Good game to watch. Lost in all this is how good Helly was, he was moving and tracking so well today, it was fun to watch!
I felt bad for Little, he gets elbowed in head in the first no call, then gets chopped down by the benches in the second no call. Both plays worse then his penalties imo. Guy couldn't catch a break. This will light a fire under the guy!
Onwards and upwards!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I realize the team plays one game at a time but..........

3-1-1 on this road trip with half our D core out......well done boys we pretty much have second place in our division wrapped up so let’s get healthy and see what we can do this year in the playoffs.
yeah. this is a brutal stretch. i was expecting a true 3 game losing streak. pleased to get a point out of yesterday. and considering that Helle should have been charged with grand theft larceny 5 times? i'm very pleased.

Jets are tired and banged up and hitting a late season rut. big time. and they're still in games. having 3 impact players coming back into the line-up by the weekend will make a world of difference.

with Hendricks out of the line-up, do we see Wheeler slotting in as centre again?

Little's an easy target, but man...that OT penalty and him being on the ice for that 2 on 1....you just knew what was going to happen.

also, the shine's totally off Roslo and Frenchie right now. someone needs to get them some Magic Elixir.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
yeah. this is a brutal stretch. i was expecting a true 3 game losing streak. pleased to get a point out of yesterday. and considering that Helle should have been charged with grand theft larceny 5 times? i'm very pleased.

Jets are tired and banged up and hitting a late season rut. big time. and they're still in games. having 3 impact players coming back into the line-up by the weekend will make a world of difference.

with Hendricks out of the line-up, do we see Wheeler slotting in as centre again?

Little's an easy target, but man...that OT penalty and him being on the ice for that 2 on 1....you just knew what was going to happen.

also, the shine's totally off Roslo and Frenchie right now. someone needs to get them some Magic Elixir.
I love it when a Jets' "rut" is 6-3-1 and a 3-1-1 road trip.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

They could certainly use a center who is strong at playing with the puck. I reckon Copp is too similar to 85 and 52, which leaves the line with too little talent and finishing ability etc. However, that's a tough line change to make, considering the fact that we don't have many options down the middle.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Usually that magic elixir is Frenchy, so... :D

I think he's suffering the effects of that flu the last few games, and has been a bit puck-unlucky lately. To your other point: I could see them slotting Wheels in as centre until Lowry and/or Scheif gets back. Easiest thing to do, though he could use a bit of rest as well.

Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Enstrom, Kulikov. That's a lot of talent on the sidelines.

I love it when a Jets' "rut" is 6-3-1 and a 3-1-1 road trip.

Yup! There are worse ruts to be in. :D

Reactions: Howard Chuck

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Maurice should try Ehlers-Stastny-Laine on 3-on-3. Gain possession first and then keep it with strong skating and hard passes, until you score.
Loved how Caps had their face-off guy take the 1st draw of OT.. gain possession then get off. Its like smart coaching. Hopefully Mau taking notes.

A few more wins in OT and tonights game would be for 1st place. Would be harder to beat Preds in 7 without home ice.

Nov 24, 2006
I rarely get all the over the top angst around here. We battle another 1st place team to a draw on the road, with a slight possession advantage and then lose in a gimmicky 3-3 OT. Chances are pretty good in the playoffs both teams won't be 2 men down so it doesn't really matter much that we aren't great at 3-3 when the real games start. We are 3-1-1 on a tough road trip with a ton of injuries and battling the flu bug along the way. As locked into 2nd as we are it is pretty impressive we have remained as engaged as we have been. I know it is fun sport to single out your favorite target after a loss and find something to throw darts at.

As long as we get healthy for the playoffs we are going to be a handful. I'd also like to see Mo give some of the vets, especially Wheeler a couple nights off during the last week or 2 of the season to recharge a bit.

Not singling you out, but this line of thinking confuses me.

You get a point after playing a pretty solid game on the road. You get to OT and you continually put the same players out that continually have lost you the extra point in OT.

Gimmicky or not, we are chasing Nashville and yet continue to leave points on the table in OT. Each and every point is critical during the season, including the OT points. Can you imagine being one point behind Nashville at the end of the season? Could we have done anything different to make up those points?

Why do so many people think it doesn’t really matter when it actually does?

Reactions: Board Bard

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Loved how Caps had their face-off guy take the 1st draw of OT.. gain possession then get off. Its like smart coaching. Hopefully Mau taking notes.

A few more wins in OT and tonights game would be for 1st place. Would be harder to beat Preds in 7 without home ice.

Yeh it’s too bad we didn’t have our best face off guy out there in Little. Oh wait... :facepalm:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Jets are 3/1/1 on this road trip so far. Considering their top C and top shutdown C plus 3 of their top D are out I'll take it. What I am really looking forward to is when both Scheifele and Lowry are back. Lowry will be our 4th line C and able to play 12-14 mins a night playing again the best lines in the NHL. This will give the Jets so many options on the road to the point where PoMo will not care what opposition line is out he can just role out 4 lines. The Jets strength at C will make them a Juggernaut in the PO's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad