Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs Sabres 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd rather have Stephenson than Graovac. Like Peluso, O'Brien, and Walker Trotz barely uses him and rightfully so, because he's not very good.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Pelly
Vrana-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Connolly-Eller-Oshie
Stephenson/Chiasson-Beagle-Wilson

This way we won't have one guy playing 5 minutes a night and making us always scramble the lines. It's hard to expect anything from the 4th line when the 3rd guy barely plays and there's no chemistry.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't think it's the contract. He started the season very well. I think his got a wrist injury. He clearly can't handle the puck at all, can't catch or make a pass, and whiffs on every shot attempt. It's gotta be physical.

He was shown with a bandage on his right wrist. I can imagine that he's been playing injured, but even his decision making has been questionable these past few games. 19 and 77 are my biggest concerns right now.

Reactions: maacoshark

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Carlson isn't all of a sudden get better, he's a good player, just too expensive to keep. I don't think the defense will be so bad losing him, Djoos and Bowey will each have a year's experience and seem to be doing just fine at the moment. Give Johansen, Siegenthaler, and Hobbs some time by the end of the year, let them know what to expect and to work on, give them something to look forward to. My concern is the center, Eller and Beagle are UFA's after this season, and Beagle, I would be more inclined to keep around, for his work ethic, Eller should be sold at the deadline, he shouldn't be a part of the team's future. Call up Hobbs for a few games, put Stephenson at center, reward the Bears players, let them know that opportunities are gonna be there, get them ready, now. And sign Gersich!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carlson isn't all of a sudden get better, he's a good player, just too expensive to keep. I don't think the defense will be so bad losing him, Djoos and Bowey will each have a year's experience and seem to be doing just fine at the moment. Give Johansen, Siegenthaler, and Hobbs some time by the end of the year, let them know what to expect and to work on, give them something to look forward to.

Carlson is legit 1st pair dman. Even if only as #2. He is in his prime and maybe even not there yet.

All those other guys you mentioned are here mostly because of watered down league due to expansion. They have to play 3-4 more seasons until being adequate for top-4. Also, not every one of them has potential to be top-4 ever.

A whale of a difference. 3-4 years from now Ovi will be mostly done.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
By getting their feet wet, I feel it gets them better acquainted to where they need to be. They become more familiar with the speed, physicality, and environment, when they get sent back down, they know what to work on and hopefully a better idea of what is required to be an NHL player. Competiton and incentive is a wonderful motivator, without it, what's the point? Why try, knowing you won't be given a chance?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carlson is legit 1st pair dman. Even if only as #2. He is in his prime and maybe even not there yet.

All those other guys you mentioned are here mostly because of watered down league due to expansion. They have to play 3-4 more seasons until being adequate for top-4. Also, not every one of them has potential to be top-4 ever.

A whale of a difference. 3-4 years from now Ovi will be mostly done.

We're talking about a guy who has never scored less than 32 goals at any point in his career, even in a shortened season. He could still be a 30-35 goal winger in 3-4 years, who knows? His best days are certainly behind him but he won't be useless when his contract expires.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We're talking about a guy who has never scored less than 32 goals at any point in his career, even in a shortened season. He could still be a 30-35 goal winger in 3-4 years, who knows? His best days are certainly behind him but he won't be useless when his contract expires.

Is this banking on PP being effective in playoffs and Ovi scoring some one timers? Historically that fails.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Is this banking on PP being effective in playoffs and Ovi scoring some one timers? Historically that fails.

It has nothing to do with what I said. You said Ovechkin would be done in 3-4 years and I said that he could still be useful. I never said anything about how he could or couldn't make the team win games in the playoffs.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't think it's the contract. He started the season very well. I think his got a wrist injury. He clearly can't handle the puck at all, can't catch or make a pass, and whiffs on every shot attempt. It's gotta be physical.
I agree. It seems Oshie fumbles the puck away every time he touches it

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Carlson isn't all of a sudden get better, he's a good player, just too expensive to keep. I don't think the defense will be so bad losing him, Djoos and Bowey will each have a year's experience and seem to be doing just fine at the moment. Give Johansen, Siegenthaler, and Hobbs some time by the end of the year, let them know what to expect and to work on, give them something to look forward to. My concern is the center, Eller and Beagle are UFA's after this season, and Beagle, I would be more inclined to keep around, for his work ethic, Eller should be sold at the deadline, he shouldn't be a part of the team's future. Call up Hobbs for a few games, put Stephenson at center, reward the Bears players, let them know that opportunities are gonna be there, get them ready, now. And sign Gersich!
You say Carlson is too expensive. Do you realize there are 3 defence men on this team with higher salaries. He is a free agent after this season and will be getting a raise. A lot of people think we're should trade Carlson. I think we should trade one of the over paid dmen on our team and try to resign Carlson. I do agree that we should get some of our prospects in for a few games.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm losing faith in Ovi. His game is reminding me of Brett Hull at the later stages of his career. Sits in his office waiting for the one timer. The rest of his game has been nothing to write home about.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
You say Carlson is too expensive. Do you realize there are 3 defence men on this team with higher salaries. He is a free agent after this season and will be getting a raise. A lot of people think we're should trade Carlson. I think we should trade one of the over paid dmen on our team and try to resign Carlson. I do agree that we should get some of our prospects in for a few games.
I just see Carlson's game not getting better, and a raise and probable term, would limit what this team can do. I think that money is better used elsewhere. Orpik's contract is up next year, Niskanen (who I would be open to trading) has 2 or 3 years left on his. Orlov's seems like alot, but in few years, hopefully is good value. I see Carlson signing with the Devil's this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad