Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Can we please stop moving laine and ehers away from each other

They're a future top line duo

I think Connor's style of play fits better with Wheeler and Little

Agree. LSE (Laine & Ehlers) is the combo we need on line 1 right now. Wheels might work there eventually, but when it takes him 20 games to wake up, its much better to put better players on your top line.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Third line could stay together, just replace Thorbs with Dano. It's obvious that Maurice still likes some muscle in the line-up, and Dano hasn't fully won Maurice's trust for some reason. Maurice is a frustrating coach sometimes.

The only muscle Thorburn has is between his ears, and even that has atrophied.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
ok that was pretty funny.....Gary starting out with a couple of questions that get Paul a tad bit annoyed.

Sometimes I just don't understand PMo and his double standard. I get he isn't sold on Postma as a player and this interview gives us some hints why. Usually he protects his players and maybe it's just my imagination but Maurice's lack of enthusiasm is pretty evident when he discusses Postma having trouble with his defensive reads and reactions. Saying he really hasn't had a lot of in in game experience etc?

I found that entire exchange painful to listen to as a Jets fan and I always love Paul's interviews.

Sure I can see that, but when was the last time you ever seen him even half question the play of a vet (I'm looking at you Stu).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Third line could stay together, just replace Thorbs with Dano. It's obvious that Maurice still likes some muscle in the line-up, and Dano hasn't fully won Maurice's trust for some reason. Maurice is a frustrating coach sometimes.

This is getting annoying. We have Little and Stafford out of the lineup so we are down a lot of offense. We are coming off consecutive 1 GF games playing against a high skilled tean and yet it doesn't dawn on Maurice to inject more scoring and someone who can drive the play. I don't care if there isn't a spot for him on the third line, put him on the 4th to at least allow that line to be competitive. Some of his coaching decisions are mind boggling. I thought at the start of the year he was more receptive to skill up and down the line up, well that changed quite quickly and he's back to his comfort zone :s

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Rewatched the highlights from the 2015-16 season last night. Very interesting to see - the second half of the 30 min video is very Scheifele/Wheeler heavy and they looked dominant in a way they haven't yet this year (other than maybe that first preseason game they played in). Every pass was connecting and every shot of Scheif's was going in. Obviously not sustainable, but it doesn't seem like he's getting in the same soft spots.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
ok that was pretty funny.....Gary starting out with a couple of questions that get Paul a tad bit annoyed.

Sometimes I just don't understand PMo and his double standard. I get he isn't sold on Postma as a player and this interview gives us some hints why. Usually he protects his players and maybe it's just my imagination but Maurice's lack of enthusiasm is pretty evident when he discusses Postma having trouble with his defensive reads and reactions. Saying he really hasn't had a lot of in in game experience etc?

I found that entire exchange painful to listen to as a Jets fan and I always love Paul's interviews.

I was just saying the other day how Maurice goes out of his way to never speak poorly of his players. So this interview is way out of character for him. If ever we wanted any confirmation of the "Maurice don't jive on Postma" meme, this is it.

On one hand, this just seems unfair to Postma, as he is clearly better than some of our more oft-used defensemen. And that's on Maurice.

On the other hand, if the kind of mistakes Postma makes are critical aspects of how Maurice tries to coach the team to play, things that Postma appears to be ignoring or unable to learn, I can understand the frustration.

Regardless, I can't help but think Maurice should ultimately be evaluating his players based on an unbiased view of their on-ice impact. And that's pretty clearly not what he's doing here. Otherwise, this sort of criticism would not be reserved solely for Postma.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was just saying the other day how Maurice goes out of his way to never speak poorly of his players. So this interview is way out of character for him. If ever we wanted any confirmation of the "Maurice don't jive on Postma" meme, this is it.

On one hand, this just seems unfair to Postma, as he is clearly better than some of our more oft-used defensemen. And that's on Maurice.

On the other hand, if the kind of mistakes Postma makes are critical aspects of how Maurice tries to coach the team to play, things that Postma appears to be ignoring or unable to learn, I can understand the frustration.

Regardless, I can't help but think Maurice should ultimately be evaluating his players based on an unbiased view of their on-ice impact. And that's pretty clearly not what he's doing here. Otherwise, this sort of criticism would not be reserved solely for Postma.

Yea its not that PMo was insulting him and in some instances he was giving some kudos about his skating and offense and if you hadn't heard Maurice before it might actually seem complimentary but having heard him often gush about players in the past this segment was far short of an endorsement and his body language was also telling. "reasonably solid" "better job of" "pretty good job of" "he does some things that should be new age relevant"....'his problem in the past was balancing his offense with his defense but he is making a concerted effort this year to fix that'???

Lets face it Paul loves Stu and struggles with Postma's faults, it is what it is.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Starting to side with the anti-mo crowd. In what ****ing universe Burmi is a better option than Copp I don't know. Definitely not this universe. If Copp was in for Burmi last game there is probably 1 less GA. Thorburn over Dano is expected, which is a fairly strong indictment on Maurice. At least he threw the dart at the right goalie this time...probably need a goalie steal tonight to have a chance.

Even if this lineup wins I give no credit to Maurice for these decisions...as the blind squirrel gets no credit either.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Starting to side with the anti-mo crowd. In what ****ing universe Burmi is a better option than Copp I don't know. Definitely not this universe. If Copp was in for Burmi last game there is probably 1 less GA. Thorburn over Dano is expected, which is a fairly strong indictment on Maurice. At least he threw the dart at the right goalie this time...probably need a goalie steal tonight to have a chance.

Even if this lineup wins I give no credit to Maurice for these decisions...as the blind squirrel gets no credit either.

Yea not a lot makes sense here, 9 games in and no improvement for Burmi.

The lame excuse that he would have to move someone into the middle... And his first choice would be Matthias, well ok... What about your second choice? You're likely getting a win win if Thor plays centre on a line with Dano and Tanev.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

The lame excuse that he would have to move someone into the middle... And his first choice would be Matthias, well ok... What about your second choice? You're likely getting a win win if Thor plays centre on a line with Dano and Tanev.

Copp proved he could play a simple and physical game with limited minutes last year...something that is not encoded in Burmi's genetic material and never will be. Tanev Copp Dano is a great option and it's not being used for some reason.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If you aren't going to play Dano and sit Thorbs, at least call up Copp and sit Burmi.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB

This is exactly how I am starting to feel as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So Melchiori is in now? Man I hope he has improved he looked awful last few times I saw him.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I am pretty sure that when they give a Moose player a letter it is because they expect him to be a fixture on the team. Copp has an "A" so I would be surprised if he gets called up ahead of other centers regardless of how well he is playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad