GDT: Capitals vs. Canucks 9:30

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
:scared: <--- here it is

They've currently earned 10 of a possible 16 points, or 62.5%. If they continue that pace through the entire season, they'll have 102 (102.5) points. They're fine.

That's some mighty fine panic. Would like to see some fire involved, but it'll do.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I agreed 100 percent w/ Trotz in post-game presser. We just weren't sharp, teamwide, except for Peters in the 1st and except for some good hustle from LOB. We turned the puck over a zillion times, we weren't moving fast, we took a penalty right after the MoJo goal to kill our ... mojo.

Trotz didn't know whether to chalk it up to the back-to-back or what, but he suggested it was our worst game of the season so far. One indicator he mentioned was that VAN got 34 SOG against us, while the previous high this year was 28.

He wasn't ranting and raving, btw. He wasn't calling people out individually, as Oates was doing daily by the end of last year. He just told the truth, the team didn't show up.

Let's see what he & the boys can do on Wed.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I agreed 100 percent w/ Trotz in post-game presser. We just weren't sharp, teamwide, except for Peters in the 1st and except for some good hustle from LOB. We turned the puck over a zillion times, we weren't moving fast, we took a penalty right after the MoJo goal to kill our ... mojo.

Trotz didn't know whether to chalk it up to the back-to-back or what, but he suggested it was our worst game of the season so far. One indicator he mentioned was that VAN got 34 SOG against us, while the previous high this year was 28.

He wasn't ranting and raving, btw. He wasn't calling people out individually, as Oates was doing daily by the end of last year. He just told the truth, the team didn't show up.

Let's see what he & the boys can do on Wed.

I just listened to it.

I really really like Trotz. He spells out everything that went wrong for the team last night. He knows what they are doing wrong, so this should give everyone hope that he will at least attempt to correct these issues.

Even before the season started, he was already talking about bad things this team did last year. He watched a ton of tape from last season, and he already knew what things he needed to fix.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I just listened to it.

I really really like Trotz. He spells out everything that went wrong for the team last night. He knows what they are doing wrong, so this should give everyone hope that he will at least attempt to correct these issues.

Even before the season started, he was already talking about bad things this team did last year. He watched a ton of tape from last season, and he already knew what things he needed to fix.
Yet the team is on a downward trend!!

Doom and gloom!!

:laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People stay up later than usual to watch the team stink, it tends to leave a bad taste. More so than a typical loss. That's one factor. But I don't see the "panic" or true gloom and doom. Nobody is writing off the season and advocating a tank, which in years past would happen even before the first game was played!!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I like Trotz. However, I think many players on the team are not smart or particularly aware hockey players. Can they effectively 'system' their way to the playoffs? Not so sure about that but that's not doom. They were a fringe playoff team coming into the season and IMO that remains the case.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Ovi-Backs-Kuz
Mojo-Buraka-MMBR
Chimmer-Fehr-Ward
Obrien-Beagle-Latta

Alzner-Niskanen
Orpik-Green
Schmidt-Carlson

is what id have for now

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I like Trotz. However, I think many players on the team are not smart or particularly aware hockey players. Can they effectively 'system' their way to the playoffs? Not so sure about that but that's not doom. They were a fringe playoff team coming into the season and IMO that remains the case.

Honestly...what are you basing it off of? Who in particular is "not smart or particulary aware"? I'm sure you have some players in mind.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
However, I think many players on the team are not smart or particularly aware hockey players.

I think this can be coached. Under prime Bruce years offensively they were as smart as it got. Oates kind of ruined everything.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Honestly...what are you basing it off of? Who in particular is "not smart or particulary aware"? I'm sure you have some players in mind.
It's really almost across the board among the forwards being less than the sum of their parts in the offensive zone. They've started out largely very disciplined away from the puck from an overall system standpoint so they're not dumb individually. There is a method at play that's a bit conservative and likely more attention will be paid to their possession habits going forward. That will end up being crucial IMO.

As-is I'm not sure how detailed they are individually up front when it comes to attacking in a smarter fashion. Burakovsky aside I don't think there are many forwards that think offensively a step ahead of what's in front of them in the moment. Maybe if they played more truly North/South with those existing habits they'd be more dangerous.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Carlson is one. No doubt. :laugh:

Brouwer maybe?

There is still roster work to do...no question.

Carlson is young and getting tough minutes. He will get better about that.

Brouwer is Brouwer. I think Brouwer for example is creative...he just doesn't have the hands or motor skills to execute what he is thinking. An example was in Calgary...there was one play where he broke his stick after going to the bench.....he had the puck at our blue line and had MJ and Burakovsky on an easy 2 on 1 due to bad pinch by Calgary dman. It would have been a real wide open 2 on 1 with little backside pressure. He TOTALLY botched it in a way only he could and was furious at himself for it.

It's really almost across the board among the forwards being less than the sum of their parts in the offensive zone. They've started out largely very disciplined away from the puck from an overall system standpoint so they're not dumb individually. There is a method at play that's a bit conservative and likely more attention will be paid to their possession habits going forward. That will end up being crucial IMO.

As-is I'm not sure how detailed they are individually up front when it comes to attacking in a smarter fashion. Burakovsky aside I don't think there are many forwards that think offensively a step ahead of what's in front of them in the moment. Maybe if they played more truly North/South with those existing habits they'd be more dangerous.

Ok that makes more sense. It seems it more of a "system" based problem as opposed to an individual intellectual capacity issue. I see alot of that corrected this year as opposed to under Oates and Hunterhockey.

We definitely have some creative forwards in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Burakovsky, Kuznetsov and MJ. Green is up there with Karlsson as the most creative dmen in the game. Most grinders aren't creative and play a more simple game.

In 2010 they led the league in goals for by a wide margin.

The next year they went to the trap (largely the same players) and finished 4th in the league in Goals against. Thats not a stupid team.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Maybe... what you're really seeing is that the players in question are not true, two-way players, as opposed to being unintelligent. Is this neared to the mark?

This would shift the burden on the GM to change-up the players for those with actual ability on both ends of the ice.

Trotz is no Bowman, but he is capable. He needs more than time: he needs a few new parts on that car.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would Bowman have been able to win a Cup with the Preditors? I am not sure that is a fair compare. I think Trotz is an entirely unknown commodity with this level of a team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->