GDT: Capitals vs. Canucks 9:30

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Why the **** can't we just split up Ovie and backstrom. They don't need to play together every year of their lives together.

Anyone care to map out how that would look?

Halpysback*

Why the **** can't we just split up Ovie and backstrom. They don't need to play together every year of their lives together.

Anyone care to map out how that would look?

AO-Bura-Johansson
Kuz-Backstrom-Wilson/Brouwer
Fehr - Latta - Ward
Chimera - O'Brien - Brouwer/Wilson

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
My issue with the team is that we're trending down. Through out the Canada trip, they almost entirely never played the way we saw them play against Montreal in the first game of the season. I kind of wish it was the opposite, that we had started off slow then picked it up.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh but I didn't like the way they played last night. I'm not even mad about the loss, its that they didn't know what to do against Vancouver's aggressive forecheck. We also need some offensive creativity. We've become very generic with the puck. Miller really wasn't in duress through out the entire game.

Trending down based on 1 game?

Please feel free to continue to meltdown Chernobyl style! :)

Caps dominated vs Edmonton and Calgary and should have won both games.

You know in 91-92 we had one of our best teams ever. We finished 3rd in the entire league.

That year we got CRUSHED at home once against the Hartford Whalers who were not a good team. We lost like 6-0.

It happens and no team is going to look good for 82 games.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
AO-Bura-Johansson
Kuz-Backstrom-Wilson/Brouwer
Fehr - Latta - Ward
Chimera - O'Brien - Brouwer/Wilson

Done...

Not saying we have to do it since I don't see a need to panic. But it won't kill us to break up those two bff's for a stretch at some point.

Halpysback*

Done...

Not saying we have to do it since I don't see a need to panic. But it won't kill us to break up those two bff's for a stretch at some point.

It should have been done forever ago. Their styles don't mesh. They get by on being two premiere players. Each should be the unquestioned go to guy on their line.

Kuz-Backstrom-Wilson worked well as an east-westish line, and Mojo-Bura have shown a ton of creativity and speed, and OV should be on a speed based line, that is by far the best way to use him. Mojo also was a RW initially.

Also Pearson-Carter-Toffoli is the best line in the NHL so people crying about 2 rookies on a line can suck it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz cant coach...eh? Johansson is having an improved in large part because he was told to shoot the puck and he is shooting the puck. Put him with 8 and he won't be shooting the puck.

90-65 is working. Leave it alone

Meanwhile, Ov is hurt. That line isn't going to be right til he is feeling good again.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What is with the panic? We lost on a back to back on the road in western Canada. Get a grip.

2 points from 3 games against 3 of the worst 6 teams in the league last season is not exactly convincing.

I wasn't panicking though, just disappointed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wait...when did Ovie get injured?

Yes, he blocked a shot with his left hand and wrist early in Calgary and has not been himself with the puck after that. He is hitting but not doing much with the puck.

The team is not going to mention any such injury until they have to. We all know that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
2 points from 3 games against 3 of the worst 6 teams in the league last season is not exactly convincing.

I wasn't panicking though, just disappointed.

reasonably speaking, the oiler game was the lost opportunity and they dominated that game. winning the back end of a back to back on the west coast is rare for any team.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Trending down based on 1 game?

Please feel free to continue to meltdown Chernobyl style! :)

Caps dominated vs Edmonton and Calgary and should have won both games.

You know in 91-92 we had one of our best teams ever. We finished 3rd in the entire league.

That year we got CRUSHED at home once against the Hartford Whalers who were not a good team. We lost like 6-0.

It happens and no team is going to look good for 82 games.

Based on the entire Canada trip.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the Edmonton team. The first two periods were pretty even, with Edmonton looking more opportunistic with their chances. 3rd period we were the better team, but to me it looked like Edmonton was content just clearing the puck out of their zone with the lead.

Calgary was decent win.

There is still something off about the way this team plays. I think its the fact that they are letting their opponents dictate the way they play than pushing the pace themselves.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Based on the entire Canada trip.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the Edmonton team. The first two periods were pretty even, with Edmonton looking more opportunistic with their chances. 3rd period we were the better team, but to me it looked like Edmonton was content just clearing the puck out of their zone with the lead.

Calgary was decent win.

There is still something off about the way this team plays. I think its the fact that they are letting their opponents dictate the way they play than pushing the pace themselves.

The stats back my assertion of the Edmonton game and it wasn't just the 3rd period.

Our possession numbers were insane and we nearly doubled them in shot attempts, SOG, scoring chances, hits you name it.

We played a bad game on a western road trip on the 2nd night of back to backs against a rested opponent who had several more PP opportunities.

You are so far off here. We have outshot 6 of our 8 opponents and only last night did we give up more than 30 shots.

I see absolutely nothing to substantiate your claims and am chalking this up to frustration based on a single game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Trap teams set the agenda. Pushing the pace into a trap gives the trap team what they want. That's a basic.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't have any stats, you're right. I'm going by what I saw and what my gut is telling me. Certainly I'm not even close to being a hockey expert, but those are my 2 cents.

Detroit game will be interesting. They do everything Vancouver did to us, but they can do it better. They're great on the forecheck, they can play the possession game... they have some nice offensive players.

Trap teams set the agenda. Pushing the pace into a trap gives the trap team what they want. That's a basic.

Vancouver is not a trap team.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't have any stats, you're right. I'm going by what I saw and what my gut is telling me. Certainly I'm not even close to being a hockey expert, but those are my 2 cents.

Detroit game will be interesting. They do everything Vancouver did to us, but they can do it better. They're great on the forecheck, they can play the possession game... they have some nice offensive players.

Vancouver is not a trap team.

You and I saw things differnetly for sure in Edmonton. After the 2nd period I thought how the heck are we losing a game we are dominating like this??

Detroit looks strong this year as always. It will be a tough game for sure.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Caps, since I started watching them, have NEVER fared well on these western canada trips.

Even when teams like Vancouver sucked they still beat us.

Back to back Calgary to Vancouver is tough.

Burakovsky95*

Panic in a back to back against Ryan Miller. This board lol.

I also don't see anything wrong with Fehr but I do agree that due to moving all of our wings to center we are in need of another top 6 right winger.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
The Caps, since I started watching them, have NEVER fared well on these western canada trips.

Even when teams like Vancouver sucked they still beat us.

Back to back Calgary to Vancouver is tough.

Yeah, they haven't won in vancouver since 2001. Finally got a point at san jose for the first time in a billion years last year, etc. They just aren't good on the west coast (which is a problem for a lot of the eastern teams).

If there's any game you would pencil in as an almost sure loss it's this one. Back to back against a rested team on the other coast for a game starting at an odd time? For sure that's a loss. People's expectations are so bizarre sometimes.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm confused...can someone point out this supposed "panic"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad