Capitals sue Alexander Semin, Mark Gandler, Gandler's Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
The commish sounds really upset with Russia and it looks like he's willing to take action:

Bettman said that Russia would ultimately pay a price for not participating in the transfer program.

"The result of not participating in the development agreement will be the development money that would otherwise flow to Russian ice hockey," the commissioner said. "Youth programs and development programs won't be there."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin said:
The commish sounds really upset with Russia and it looks like he's willing to take action:

Bettman said that Russia would ultimately pay a price for not participating in the transfer program.

"The result of not participating in the development agreement will be the development money that would otherwise flow to Russian ice hockey," the commissioner said. "Youth programs and development programs won't be there."

But NHL talent will be! If the Caps win this, it would also mean that anyone who signed a RSL contract before an NHL contract would have to adhere to that. Buffaloed said earlier in the thread, if the Caps win the battle, the NHL loses the war.

GSC2k2*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
But NHL talent will be! If the Caps win this, it would also mean that anyone who signed a RSL contract before an NHL contract would have to adhere to that. Buffaloed said earlier in the thread, if the Caps win the battle, the NHL loses the war.
Your statement is wrong. It means nothing of the kind. Sorry.

Ox17

Jul 22, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:

Who would this specifically incude? Isn't this why transfer payments were made? Isn't this why there were "out clauses" in contracts last year?

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Ox17 said:
Who would this specifically incude? Isn't this why transfer payments were made? Isn't this why there were "out clauses" in contracts last year?
Out clauses are specifically written so that the player may escape his overseas contract if he is able to sign in the NHL. So we could still see players sign in the RSL and then come over to the NHL, but that language has to be in the contract.

We can be sure that no such clause existed in Semin's NHL contract.

GSC2k2*

Khelvan said:
Out clauses are specifically written so that the player may escape his overseas contract if he is able to sign in the NHL. So we could still see players sign in the RSL and then come over to the NHL, but that language has to be in the contract.

We can be sure that no such clause existed in Semin's NHL contract.
Why would we think that about Semin's contract?

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
gscarpenter2002 said:
Why would we think that about Semin's contract?
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think the NHL's CBA allowed this in the past, or allows it now. Simple common sense would tell us that NHL teams would never put a clause like that in the contract. Finally, the Capitals' suit would be tossed out at the first hearing if the contract ALLOWS Semin to do this. They would have no grounds to bring a suit.

GSC2k2*

Khelvan said:
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think the NHL's CBA allowed this in the past, or allows it now. Simple common sense would tell us that NHL teams would never put a clause like that in the contract. Finally, the Capitals' suit would be tossed out at the first hearing if the contract ALLOWS Semin to do this. They would have no grounds to bring a suit.
Duh, i misread your original post. I did not notice that you referenced his NHL contract. You are completely correct, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->