Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Zac Funk to ELC

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Hopefully he makes the team and makes his goal score song after James Brown's song, "Make it Funky"

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Let's not get too excited. He's a 20 year old playing against teenagers, including the seemingly yet-to-shave child who he knocked silly in that fight video linked above. That said, he does look ready to play against men and certainly has an NHL frame.
Oh damn… i didn’t click on the fight link. That was nasty! First Willy. Then Leonard looking feisty. And now Funk. Collecting some agitators with skill. Like that!

Reactions: Holtbyisms

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Hopefully he can carve out a role in Hershey.

From EP Rinkside:

In terms of individual skill, Funk's below NHL average. The upright skating and stiff handling skill might prevent him from translating his offensive touch to the next level. However, his physicality, defensive diligence, and knack for getting open will translate, giving him another avenue to make the NHL.

Reactions: DWGie26 and usiel

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

From EP Rinkside:
Don't think they can do much with stick handling, but skating is one thing I fully believe in the Caps being able to develop. It's why Cristall was probably such a great pick.

I always love using Wilson as an example. Look at how he skated his first year here vs. the following years. It was a completely different player. Feel like they've done well to improve everyones skating who's come through the doors, to be honest.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Don't think they can do much with stick handling, but skating is one thing I fully believe in the Caps being able to develop. It's why Cristall was probably such a great pick.

I always love using Wilson as an example. Look at how he skated his first year here vs. the following years. It was a completely different player. Feel like they've done well to improve everyones skating who's come through the doors, to be honest.
Hope so! If we manage to turn an undrafted CHL player into an NHL regular, that would be a huge win.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I am surprised how good Caps have been with developing NHL skating. Can’t develop “give a shit” and Funk seems to have that. It’s a three year ELC and he’ll be waiver exempt all three years (80 games). So we can bake him a good two years and maybe three.

I also have to think there were plenty of teams who wanted a shot to sign Funk. Good selling by the Caps and another nod to the culture that players know in the small circles. We have a lot to offer including a good path to NHL.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

From EP Rinkside:
Is there a date on that? This year is really the first year he's gone off offensively. Not suggesting he's a star in the making but he's certainly doing something differently.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Is there a date on that? This year is really the first year he's gone off offensively. Not suggesting he's a star in the making but he's certainly doing something differently.
Well he is eligible to go pro next season. Wasn’t drafted in his draft year. Nor D+1 nor D+2. So yeah, he has to be in Hershey or SC next year. He has a pro body at 6’0 / 210 lbs. He might be like Hofer this year fighting for a spot or he may be a regular. He is waivers exempt for 3 years so we don’t need him to be there in a year or even 2. He has some skating and movement work to do.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Well he is eligible to go pro next season. Wasn’t drafted in his draft year. Nor D+1 nor D+2. So yeah, he has to be in Hershey or SC next year. He has a pro body at 6’0 / 210 lbs. He might be like Hofer this year fighting for a spot or he may be a regular. He is waivers exempt for 3 years so we don’t need him to be there in a year or even 2. He has some skating and movement work to do.
I meant a date on the scouting report. Was curious if the scout gave that assessment this season on during his draft year. Lots of scouting reports for overagers are from their D year.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
It was from their CHL free agents wrap up Tuesday. They had him listed 4th, but said he had the best chance of being an NHL regular at some point. Just not as much upside as a couple of the other kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad