Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Justin Schultz to 2 year deal 4 Mil AAV

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Term is good for me, AAV definitely higher than I'd want, but I'm surprisingly fine with this deal. Can try him with Orlov, Dillon, or Siegenthaler/Fehervary/Alexeyev, and learn which pairing works the best. I could definitely see any of those pairings working, and given the signings of Dillon+Schultz, it seems like Lavi's conclusion about our defense is that Carlson should face tougher comp than he did under Reirden.

Also, think Mac realized how important a 2nd RH shot guy that can play the point on the PP was, since Carlson was never really in jeopardy of losing that job this year. We were reduced to sending out Kempny on the second wave when Carlson got injured in the round robin, and I don't think Mac wants to repeat that.

Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
I'll decide how I feel about when after I see what Barrie signs for.

If Barrie signs for more, okay, fair enough.

If Barrie gets less than we f***ed up.

Reactions: Capagonia

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Just brutal unless the Caps know something everyone else doesn't.

BMac is piling up shitty acquisitons, isn't he?

Reactions: crab

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People holding up Brooks Orpik's contract as a way to defend this one are a whole new level of cringe

Both were seen as bad investments by many after crap years in Pittsburgh. Orpik ended up being the glue of a Cup roster.

So why can't that happen again? Of course it's not guaranteed or even likely, but isn't it possible?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Both were seen as bad investments by many after crap years in Pittsburgh. Orpik ended up being the glue of a Cup roster.

So why can't that happen again? Of course it's not guaranteed or even likely, but isn't it possible?

Orpik brought intangibles..leader of men and all that.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

tenor.gif

Reactions: g00n

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Either this will work out beautifully or it’ll be a disaster. We will find out. I don’t see a middle-ground with a player like Schultz.

Reactions: caps4cup

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Only there's no discount here so they're paying upside type value to a player that may not contribute much of anything.

If this deal was for $2.5M or something and didn't necessitate dealing Panik to eventually be cap compliant it would be a lot more understandable. This is very much a hope signing and one that the trend lines would suggest may be a pretty foolish bet.

Its a fair point, but consider looking at it this way. He was playing at a very high level, then blew up his ankle, and his play suffered. Then he was stuck with Jack Johnson and his play suffered even more. If those two things didn't happen, and they may be in some way related, he's likely getting more than 2x4 right now.

But they did happen, so maybe he's being overpaid relative to what other teams would pay for him right now in this NHL Free Agency in Mid October (f*** you Coronavirus), we will never really know that.

But in 1 year we'll know if he's worth his actual salary or not... GMBM is obviously hoping for a return to his better form, which if that happens his value will be solid.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
GMBM has been doing alot of gambling this offseason. Lapierre, the entire draft pretty much, now schultz, not entirely sure one of the last years of ovi's cup window is to gamble (on in my opinion the wrong players), but who the f*** am i to say

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
People holding up Brooks Orpik's contract as a way to defend this one are a whole new level of cringe

How so? Orpiks contract was almost universally hailed as over paying and too much term when he signed it. I don't even have to look, I know I trashed GMBM for it in that thread. I was wrong then, it turns out, happy to admit that. Brooks even ended up playing one extra year past his original deal here IINM.

So basically, people are trashing just the rate, but NOT the term, on this deal. If Shultz returns to form, the price is great. If he doesn't, its turrible.

So we'll see.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I mean it's totally possible that BMac was sitting in his PJs this morning and Lavi texted him and was like, "Hey brah u know u need to get me a puck-moving RD, right?" and BMac was like, "Thanks my guy, totally 4got, lol!!!" and then he saw Schultz's name at the bottom of the free agent list and thought to himself, "Hmm who's this guy? Never heard of him, never seen him play. Or maybe I did? Who knows, haven't had my coffee yet" then scanned his wikipedia page and was like, "These numbers look okay to me. What's this guy worth? Three million? Four? Let's just call it four and get it over with, my corn flakes are getting soggy."

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I mean it's totally possible that BMac was sitting in his PJs this morning and Lavi texted him and was like, "Hey brah u know u need to get me a puck-moving RD, right?" and BMac was like, "Thanks my guy, totally 4got, lol!!!" and then he saw Schultz's name at the bottom of the free agent list and thought to himself, "Hmm who's this guy? Never heard of him, never seen him play. Or maybe I did? Who knows, haven't had my coffee yet" then scanned his wikipedia page and was like, "These numbers look okay to me. What's this guy worth? Three million? Four? Let's just call it four and get it over with, my corn flakes are getting soggy."
our original offer was probably less, vancouver and calgary drove up the price being interested and GMBM outbid them. I personally would have stopped at 3M myself

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don’t like the idea of getting rid of Jensen to make the money work. Carlson and Schultz aren’t exactly D-zone studs on the right side and Jensen very much is. He was one of the few Capitals who played better as the season and postseason went on and, combined with his career in Detroit, he actually fits a shutdown role.

I’d much rather try to get rid of Hagelin to make it work and sign a forward on the cheap.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Schultz only played about 23% of his 5-on-5 TOI with Johnson last season so it's hard to blame that tandem for his downfall. It was more likely the lingering effects of injuries hampering his ability to jump in offensively. There may be medical limitations now where he may not even be capable of playing a rover role for them. He may be damaged goods...someone that can maybe help on PP2 and with outlets at times but who may not even be a top 4 defenseman. I think the big question is whether he has the intelligence to age gracefully with a dwindling skill set and the evidence thus far suggests not. It's that lack of all-around acumen and the trend lines that make it so risky. Maybe he does revert back into the form of past seasons but it seems impossible to be anywhere close to being sure that he can be that player again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad