Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Justin Schultz to 2 year deal 4 Mil AAV

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I am actually on the side of this is good. Mac said he wanted consistent pairs because last season was a total cluster. Look at it as how he will pair with other player and the overall structure. It is the kind of addition that allows everyone to play in the right spot as well-Jensen and Siegenthaler bottom pair. Ferhevary can swap in and out with Siegs

Assuming he stays healthy, he will compliment Orlov well.

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz
Siegenthaler-Jensen

Sep 19, 2008
I feel better about a Lavi-sanctioned move

And D was a weakness

I am a bit hesitant but nobody seen this team play under Laviolette. I would hover a grade right now around a B.

And Orpik was old and just bruised people. The problem with Schultz was inconsistency, struggling, and injuries.

Reactions: Calicaps

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I can't imagine there was another team offering something similar to this. Oh well, ex pens have worked in the past. Here's to hoping he rebounds and stays healthy

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

This is my guess, that GMBM feels that Schultz will be better in our lineup. Seems the outlet pass logic was also used for Jensen, no? The question is, could he have been signed for cheaper. I don't know what other teams were offering. I'm wondering if Maclellan is penciling younger, cheaper guys into the lineup.

Reactions: Calicaps

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I don’t know much about his game does anyone want to give a scouting report

Pens fan. He was never great defensively, but he was fast, could shoot, carry the puck, and make a breakout pass all very well; so if paired with a good defensive defenseman then he actually was really good. Then he broke his leg, and then spent too much time with Jack Johnson, and he completely reverted back to Edmonton Schultz where he couldn't do anything right. He was just as bad as Johnson by year's end. With that said, a one year prove it deal at 2 even 3 mil and I'd say he's a worthwhile pickup. Two years at 4 million is painful

Edit to add: if comparing him to former Caps I'd say his skillset at his best is halfway between Mike Green and Matt Niskanen

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
He's been bad the past few years. Should have been more like 2MM a year in this environment.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Thumbs up for me. High skill and plays in pressure situations. We needed some more production from that position. I just hope he doesn’t suck and/or break again.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Johnson was his second most common D partner last year so perhaps a sliver of hope. Still don't really see the upside here and he's fairly consistently been a poor possession D IINM. They need puck movement this makes the Gustafsson idea seem like a star.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I didn’t like the Kuzy or Wilson extensions when they were announced, now they’re maybe the best contracts on the team. The Orpik deal has been mentioned. The deals that GMBM has done that have looked risky have all worked out pretty well.

They must really trust their doctors though between Schultz and Lapierre, if it works out well those are big time players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->