Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Jonsson-Fjallby (UPD BACK TO HERSHEY)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if a top prospect has ever failed solely because of the smaller rink size - physical aspects aside. Bob Big rink or bust Bassen.

Imagine a kid in Boston Garden - extreme example - you are going to get hit like never before. In which case, getting here sooner could mean end of their career if they haven't filled out fully yet, and a guy like Willy skates straight through them. Targeting deliberately in the head, aside.

I stand firm - it's a not always a clearly cut "the sooner here the better" scenario. Personally, I get concerned with Hershey burnout WRT a clogged pipe and no where to go, playing on a crap team with an asshole coach. Those end careers too.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Small rinks leave less ice to build up speed for big hits.

Every prospect takes their own development path. Kuzy took years even though he was NHL ready at age 20 and probably younger.
Also think Kuzy would be better on big ice with his speed and dangles

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if a top prospect has ever failed solely because of the smaller rink size - physical aspects aside. Bob Big rink or bust Bassen.

Imagine a kid in Boston Garden - extreme example - you are going to get hit like never before. In which case, getting here sooner could mean end of their career if they haven't filled out fully yet, and a guy like Willy skates straight through them. Targeting deliberately in the head, aside.

I stand firm - it's a not always a clearly cut "the sooner here the better" scenario. Personally, I get concerned with Hershey burnout WRT a clogged pipe and no where to go, playing on a crap team with an ******* coach. Those end careers too.

I mean I think most realize each person is different....didn’t hurt Backstrom to return home for a year, but if he’s willing to make the commitment and mature enough, why not stay? It’s not like he’s going to be brawling. The question is, who provides a better development environment to make the NHL?

I like the idea that we have a lot of young talent in Hershey that can all bond, develop together and be the next wave of Caps players....Axel is 20, turns 21 in season.....I think he’s ready to be here...In N.A.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I think the biggest obstacle on small ice over big ice is simple time and space. Same as the biggest obstacle when moving up a level is the time you have to make a decision, it goes the same for moving from a bigger surface to a smaller surface. There is less time and space to make decisions.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I mean I think most realize each person is different....didn’t hurt Backstrom to return home for a year, but if he’s willing to make the commitment and mature enough, why not stay? It’s not like he’s going to be brawling. The question is, who provides a better development environment to make the NHL?

I like the idea that we have a lot of young talent in Hershey that can all bond, develop together and be the next wave of Caps players....Axel is 20, turns 21 in season.....I think he’s ready to be here...In N.A.

Agreed. He should stay. Period.

He leaves, he definitely falls behind some guys, and rightfully so. He stays, he shows some intestinal fortitude that is important to make it in the NHL. He leaves? Meh...not a good look. Will just leave it at that.

I would be shocked if he didnt get a look -- this season -- if he sticks w Hershey. Caps will have injuries and will need to experiment a little bit. Would sure rather have AJF taking a slot on the roster than an older has been/never was.

Stay Axel. Stay. It's important.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the biggest obstacle on small ice over big ice is simple time and space. Same as the biggest obstacle when moving up a level is the time you have to make a decision, it goes the same for moving from a bigger surface to a smaller surface. There is less time and space to make decisions.
This. On larger ice surfaces, players often have a moment or two to survey their surroundings before making a decision on what to do with the puck. This isn't true on smaller ice surfaces played at professional speed (particularly at the NHL level). Generally speaking, you have to be much more instinctual with how to handle the puck and react to plays. This is why players who can "slow the game down" tend to be so special.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
12 minutes bottom 6 in Hershey
18 minutes top 6 in Sweden

Which is better? I know the answer. But what #s would it take, to make you flip, if any.

Willy was alleged by some to become much better with just 1 additional junior year of top 6 hockey, and far more TOI. I wanted him in DC because I wanted the entertainment he provides, and I admit it probably did cost some offensive development. But I don't discount being able to practice with Ovi and Nick etc.

Players learn the angles very quickly. Its going to an international tourney

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
This. On larger ice surfaces, players often have a moment or two to survey their surroundings before making a decision on what to do with the puck. This isn't true on smaller ice surfaces played at professional speed (particularly at the NHL level). Generally speaking, you have to be much more instinctual with how to handle the puck and react to plays. This is why players who can "slow the game down" tend to be so special.

The thing is, I consider the bolded as possibly his biggest weakness. That's when you quite often could notice poor puck control and chances ran away from him. He's at his best when there isn't much room and time and instincts sets in instead. He had great chemistry with the Davidsson's brothers which he would be likely to form a line with once again. I'd say he's better of on a better team, in a slightly better league and on an ice that will expose his weaknesses even more. He took big strides in those areas last year and I don't see why he couldn't continue to develop in that area in Sweden this year.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There should be a benefit to him going home right? What is that? Working on his skills back home on larger ice where he has time and space, when ultimately his goal is to play in a league where those are tough to come by seems counterintuitive to me.

If he’s good in tight space with no time, then he should play well in Hershey sooner than some who come over.

You’re a fan of his team over there I’m guessing?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I am a fan of Djurgården, yes.

Thing is good puck control and stickhandling > poor puck control and stickhandling on all sort of ice surfaces. I just think he'll be more exposed for those types of situations on the bigger ice which will help him to continue his improvements in those areas. Later adjusting to tigther space and less time is something I don't think will be a problem for him, unlike most Europeans I think he might be better suited for the smaller ice compared to the larger ice already.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am a fan of Djurgården, yes.

Thing is good puck control and stickhandling > poor puck control and stickhandling on all sort of ice surfaces. I just think he'll be more exposed for those types of situations on the bigger ice which will help him to continue his improvements in those areas. Later adjusting to tigther space and less time is something I don't think will be a problem for him, unlike most Europeans I think he might be better suited for the smaller ice compared to the larger ice already.

Cool cool, good to hear your perspective....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've played on both sized rinks a lot. I prefer the smaller, you can play better defense and don't have to skate as much.

Im all for these guys learning to play smaller hockey in the AHL. Hockey is a game of inches and muscle memory. The more reps you get learning angles and puck bounces will only make the NHL ready sooner

I’ve played many a game on Olympic sized ice.....lots of skating!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Send a kid back if he needs to learn how to skate, stay here if he needs to learn how to take a hit. There, it's settled.

Interesting to read that PrtScn saw him struggling most with too much time and space. Players do over think and thus telegraph and fail. The pressure and spotlight is suddenly on a player with the puck and time and space, and not all dominate in that situation. I do agree that a quick shifty guy is adequately suited for a smaller rink... as long as he can take hits. Angles smangles once you play 5-10 games that is all gone as players do as what all humans do best, we just adapt like champs.

I played on all different sized rinks and preferred them small so there was lots of action. It's why I loved indoor soccer, despised outdoor. But again, it largely comes down to TOI in my book 10 in Hershey, or 20 in Härnösand. And, staying healthy and motivated. Hockey players are largely interchangeable between teams and systems. Its not like the NFL, and our insane oversized complex playbooks.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think he'll be fine. I've watched both Hershey games this year and he isn't exactly "struggling" in my eyes. He's adjusting to a different style of game. His skating is fine, his boardwork is fine. He's a little clumsy with the puck still but I kind of expected that. He's not an offensive dynamo by any means. Anyone who thought that saw a handful of twitter videos of him scoring and got over excited. He's stupid fast, responsible and competes really hard. He might not ever put up a lot of points but that doesn't mean he can't be an extremely successful pro hockey player in North America. I mean it's game 2...give him some time.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So just finished the game, more detail in the prospect thread but he played really well tonight. Had a few scoring chances, super dangerous on the PK and continued to get comfortable at even strength. Still fumbling the puck on the rush but the ice was garbage tonight. Would like to see him get his head up a little faster when he's controlling the puck cause he keeps skating into double/triple teams looking down at his stick. Again though the ice made it difficult to trust your stick handling tonight.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
https://hockeynews.se/articles/5111/
Axel Jonsson Fjällby's product or not in Djurgården has been a sequel in the fall. On Tuesday, Mr Madhawk was first with the task of returning the swift forwarder to Djurgården.
HockeyNews.se has been in contact with a source confirming that the information about Jonsson Fjällby's comeback in Djurgården is correct.

The NHL Club Washington and Djurgården have agreed on the conditions for 20-year-old Axel Jonsson Fjällby and he returns to the SHL club in Stockholm and plays the rest of the season there.
The plan is that he flies home to Sweden during Wednesday and makes his first match for Djurgården this fall in Saturday's game against Brynäs in Gävle.

He looked to me in the preseason like a guy who couldn't finish, had a 3rd line ceiling, and wasn't a likely NHLer.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Figures, I am taking the entire Stars Pee Wee team to Hershey on Saturday night.

I really wanted to see Axel in person. Booooooo!!! Yep, it’s all about me. ;)

If I understand this correctly these games he’s played won’t count towards his entry level deal right?

Reactions: Silky mitts

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If I understand this correctly these games he’s played won’t count towards his entry level deal right?
No, it'll tick a year off either way given his age.

This may be better for his offensive development, provided his gets a lot of TOI and puts in the work to become a better stickhandler.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I'm starting to get the feeling that he believed he'd have a shot at getting a few sniffs as the main roster this year and around October he realized that the pipeline ahead of him is somewhat jammed. I mean there is a huge difference in who the team is most likely to call up and who they see as having the highest ceiling, but right now you've got to think Walker, Barber, Gersich, Pinho, and even Shumakov all have a better chance of getting a call up before AJF, I wonder if that irritated him and he simply decided that Sweden was a better option at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad