Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Jonsson-Fjallby (UPD BACK TO HERSHEY)

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Link: Capitals Sign Axel Jonsson-Fjallby

Didn't find a thread about this.

I've seen him a lot live since he plays for my favorite team. And in Sweden and ticket to a game costs like 20-30 dollars (really affordable).

He's got amazing speed, pretty good hands, he can snipe and is great @ creating chances in boxplay situations.

He's called "Jägaren" which translates to "The hunter". Because of his relentless work all over the ice.

Scored some real nice goals in the playoffs for his team this season.

In this clip you can see 5 out of his 6 goals in this years playoffs. His team made it to the semifinals.

Will they loan him out to Djurgården next season? Will he get a chance this playoffs?

He's gonna be an amazing 3rd liner, possible even a real good 2nd liner if he continues to play like this. Not bad for a guy drafted with the #147 pick in the 5th round.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Link: Capitals Sign Axel Jonsson-Fjallby

Didn't find a thread about this.

I've seen him a lot live since he plays for my favorite team. And in Sweden and ticket to a game costs like 20-30 dollars (really affordable).

He's got amazing speed, pretty good hands, he can snipe and is great @ creating chances in boxplay situations.

He's called "Jägaren" which translates to "The hunter". Because of his relentless work all over the ice.

Scored some real nice goals in the playoffs for his team this season.

In this clip you can see 5 out of his 6 goals in this years playoffs. His team made it to the semifinals.

Will they loan him out to Djurgården next season? Will he get a chance this playoffs?

He's gonna be an amazing 3rd liner, possible even a real good 2nd liner if he continues to play like this. Not bad for a guy drafted with the #147 pick in the 5th round.

I don't think he's eligible to play in the playoffs, but he looks like he could crack the roster next year. Is it wrong to compare him to a guy like Hagelin?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It will be extremely interesting following Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, I believe he has the potential becoming one of the fan favorites because of his drive, work ethic and speed, he is clutch and I like him a lot. It's a big question mark if he can put this effort, outworking everybody and keep this style in the NHL though, so many games and tough playoffs, he may wear himself out. Hopefully he will be able to play a smart game as well. A player with extremely high energy, speed and work effort on the ice like Jonsson-Fjallby should be good for entire team and especially for the young guys ("Wtf, how am I going to keep up with this dude, I better work my ass off!").

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
If I understand it correctly Axel Jonsson-Fjallby may choose to play in Sweden if sent to AHL (and he has the full right to do so)?

You will have to run this article though google translator (Swedish - English). Looks like his contract gives him the right to play in Europe if he wants to when sent to the AHL. His former SHL team for sure wants him back, no single doubt about that. ;-)

Djurgården (his SHL team) is not counting on other young talents like Marcus Höström (Flames), Lukas Vejdemo (Canadiens), Jonathan Davidsson (Columbus) but seem to have some hope for Jonsson-Fjallby to return. Feels a bit weird because Axel Jonsson-Fjallby most probably is the best talent of all these players, he was the one I thought would make it.

Hopefully Axel is ready to fight for a spot in Washington (in AHL) and not crying on the flight back to Sweden.

"Axel and his agents have announced that they want to discuss Axel's situation with Washington before deciding on the issue."

One agent is obviously not enough for Axel? ;-)

I thought Washington was interested in adding some speed to the squad but I assume they don't feel Axel is ready yet for the big step.

Djurgårdens besked om NHL-talangerna

Senaste nytt om NHL-Djurgårdarna

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps will use some young forwards this season. If he is in Hershey, he can get his shot this season. If he returns to Sweden, he sets himself behind all those that get NHL experience.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
The Caps will use some young forwards this season. If he is in Hershey, he can get his shot this season. If he returns to Sweden, he sets himself behind all those that get NHL experience.
Swedes are very reculant playing in AHL though. It has a bad reputation here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Swedes are very reculant playing in AHL though. It has a bad reputation here.

That's fine but in the AHL he can be playing in the NHL in November and earn permanent spot. In Sweden someone else gets that.

He is not Nick Backstrom. Filip Forsberg played in the AHL

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
That's fine but in the AHL he can be playing in the NHL in November and earn permanent spot. In Sweden someone else gets that.

He is not Nick Backstrom. Filip Forsberg played in the AHL
Ahl would be best for sure.

Reactions: 21

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
To me, both options seem just fine.

While the AHL is probably the best in terms of "quick-formatting" players for NHL duty, it's quite possible that in the long term, a player is better served honing his skills in a European league, especially if he has a really good environment there -- as many do.

It would be different if there was an obvious possible spot for him in the lineup this season, but given the apparent Stephenson/Gersich competition for the last spot, that doesn't really seem to be the case -- i.e. there's no rush to get AJF through NHL basic training.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
AJF did show and is participating in Hershey's camp so at least for now it seems it'll be the AHL. I think he needs the puck touches of hopefully at least an AHL third-line role for him to close the skill gap a bit more. Do that and get used to the smaller rink and he could quickly be in line for a fourth-line/depth PK role if it opens up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

While the AHL is probably the best in terms of "quick-formatting" players for NHL duty, it's quite possible that in the long term, a player is better served honing his skills in a European league, especially if he has a really good environment there -- as many do.

It would be different if there was an obvious possible spot for him in the lineup this season, but given the apparent Stephenson/Gersich competition for the last spot, that doesn't really seem to be the case -- i.e. there's no rush to get AJF through NHL basic training.

Didn’t hurt Backstrom right? It just takes away his chance of getting called up this year if he goes home. I hope he stays.

I wonder what he makes playing there?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Stephenson/Gersich competition? Where did you hear this?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Stephenson/Gersich competition? Where did you hear this?

That's how it looks to me -- once DSP gets back in shape, and given that the Caps have been playing Dowd/Boyd at 4C.
Stephenson is probably the default, and Gersich looks like the best of the challengers. Who else?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's how it looks to me -- once DSP gets back in shape, and given that the Caps have been playing Dowd/Boyd at 4C.
Stephenson is probably the default, and Gersich looks like the best of the challengers. Who else?
I dont think there is anyone challenging Stephenson. He is too valuable in a defensive role and on the pk. And he could easily be moved to center if need be.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Fair enough.

edit: I like Stephenson, but tbh I didn't quite see the separation between him and Gersich in camp at least as a pure wing (and especially on offense Gersich actually looked better to me). But it makes sense that other reasons would strongly weigh in his favor.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gersich's defensive wall play and effective puck control at pace seem to be significantly behind Stephenson. Gersich's lack of size has been more apparent during camp than last spring IMO and with that a greater lack of consistency. He scored a nice shot against STL but before that was looking like a pretty easy cut. With Boyd out it opens up a reserve spot for, say, one of Barber/LOB/Walker or Gersich. But I don't think Gersich was a likely scratch candidate or that Stephenson was really in danger of being outplayed by Dowd+Gersich. My guess is Barber becomes the extra since DSP is maybe not a full-timer.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Axel Jonsson Fjällby has Europe clause in contract and is considering going back to Sweden, since sent down to AHL: "Axel and his agents have announced that they want to discuss Axel's situation with Washington before deciding on the issue."

He should def head back. More money, playing at home, etc. All this "getting used to playing on smaller ice" is dumb, play where you are comfortable and get better.

If he made the team he'd have four other Swedes to help him assimilate, in Hershey what does he have?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He should def head back. More money, playing at home, etc. All this "getting used to playing on smaller ice" is dumb, play where you are comfortable and get better.

If he made the team he'd have four other Swedes to help him assimilate, in Hershey what does he have?

You might be onto something as when one researches via the darknet the dirty truth of Hershey, PA is their deep, cultural hatred of those of Swedish decent. I mean they have deep state ordinances for the police to racially profile white, blond, Caucasians whom are late blooming physically and generally not able to grow truly manly beards (ok Zetterberg is the one exception).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->