Confirmed Signing with Link: Capitals sign Ilya Samonov

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Don't look at the Lehner trade. That was the beginning of the end for Murray. For a GM that became known for overpaying to get guys he wanted, Lehner was probably the worst trade he ever made. There's a reason he's out of the league, and the only other GM's that would be prone to that big of a mistake are in Montreal and Vancouver, two teams that don't need a goalie. If caps could get 32-40 for him they should take it.
I get what you're saying and hindsight makes Lehner look like a bad trade but that example is not isolated among those posted by Gigantor and I don't think a 2nd alone is enough for the Caps when there are likely to be multiple suitors. GMBM thought Vegas would take Grubauer instead of Nate Schmidt I doubt he thinks a 2nd is enough at this pointing either.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I get what you're saying and hindsight makes Lehner look like a bad trade but that example is not isolated among those posted by Gigantor and I don't think a 2nd alone is enough for the Caps when there are likely to be multiple suitors. GMBM thought Vegas would take Grubauer instead of Nate Schmidt I doubt he thinks a 2nd is enough at this pointing either.

But it wasn't just hindsight, most everyone was saying that was a stupid overpayment as soon as the trade happened. I thought at the time it was TM helping his old team and uncle out, because at the time Ottawa had to move a goalie no matter what, at a time when other goalies were available and went for far less then what Lehner returned. Ottawa had Anderson under contract, Hammond had a breakout season, and Lehner was in a down year. Lehner will go down as the worst trade in Tim Murray's career, and he basically rebuilt Winnipeg for Evander Kane, it was that bad.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Buffalo, Carolina, and Philly should all have interest in Grubauer. One of them will offer a protected first or equivelant value (2nd + prospect (s)). Each of those teams could use a goalie to take their team to the next level (B = competing for playoffs, C = Making the playoffs, P = Making some noise in the playoffs). Im not sure Grubauer is good enough to be a legit statter despite his good year, but some team will give up good value to acquire him.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Mid to high second I think is what it will really take and that's not bad for a backup.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
After the Lehner disaster there's no way in hell the Sabres are trading a 1st rounder for another backup. Realize the irony here is that the Sabres could have drafted Samsonov with the pick they traded for Lehner.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
After the Lehner disaster there's no way in hell the Sabres are trading a 1st rounder for another backup. Realize the irony here is that the Sabres could have drafted Samsonov with the pick they traded for Lehner.

I think Grubauer is supposed to be better than Lehner.

Not sure though.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't see an available option that is a clear upgrade for the Sabres that is better than Grubauer and like it or not he's comparable to other RFA goalies traded for mid- to late-1sts. I'd guess other teams will offer something in that range, if Buf is uninterested at that price they can always tender Lehner or try what Car did with Darling. Buf could also try Ullmark but his #s in the AHL Playoffs suggest they should be prepared if that doesn't work out.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think Grubauer is supposed to be better than Lehner.

Not sure though.

He's much less of a headcase at the very least. Sabres probably want a calm technical Kolzig type goalie to keep the team even keeled

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->