Confirmed Signing with Link: Capitals sign Ilya Samonov

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Avs 2018 1st (16 overall) and Colin Wilson for Grubauer?

You do know Tom and Colin aren't related though... :sarcasm:

Also, I don't think the Avs want to get rid of Varlamov/Bernier.

I'd think he goes to the Islanders for Brock Nelson and a 2nd.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Overpayment?
Hardly.
It's the Capitals who are showing their hand. I highly doubt they intend on keeping 3 goalies.
And if they send the Russian to the AHL Will that not cause a rift?
Plus what if Samsonov looks like he's not ready for the bright lights?
Grubs was already benched for the Playoffs despite being named game 1 starter. And what track record does he really have?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
For reference, here's what goalies have fetched in trade returns in the recent years. H/T to @Gigantor The Goalie for the image/compilation:

f24afob.png

A low first doesn't seem all that outlandish for starters.
Except you didn't mention other notable goalies like Bishop, Bernier, Halak, Mason

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Schneider in a different category completely. No way is he comparable to Washingtons backup.
Schneider was putting up big numbers as a starter for the Canucks for several years. Also that was a time when goalies were overvalued.

Cory Schneider never played over 33 games in a season for the Canucks, so I don't think he was putting up numbers as a starter.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Again, much higher profile goalie than Grubs with much more proven ability. Also went to a desperate team. What team is desperate for a goalie of Grubs caliber, especially considering that the Caps are the ones who need to make a move? That would be akin to a team trading a first for Darling when Darling was with the Blackhawks, except if the Hawks had an elite prospect just signed to an ELC.

Even with Schneider that makes two goalies in the last how many years? Both much higher profile ones than Grub.

Martin Jones?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Overpayment?
Hardly.
It's the Capitals who are showing their hand. I highly doubt they intend on keeping 3 goalies.
And if they send the Russian to the AHL Will that not cause a rift?
Plus what if Samsonov looks like he's not ready for the bright lights?
Grubs was already benched for the Playoffs despite being named game 1 starter. And what track record does he really have?

Pretty sure Samsonov signed with the expectation that he'd get #1 minutes in the AHL to adjust to NA rink rather than get sporadic starts as an NHL backup.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You do realize that Buffalo's second round pick is the first one in the second round, in other words it's just one pick out of the first round and the 32nd overall pick. Would give the Caps three picks in the first 50 picks.
What other picks the Caps have is of little relevance. Based on the multitude of trades posted by Gigantor the value is a mid- to late-1st. Look at the Lehner trade. For the Caps I think the cost would likely be something like Buf 2018 2nd + 2019 2nd.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I imagine Grubauer gets traded to a team that missed the playoffs for a veteran star player to help the Caps in the playoffs. They sign an inexperienced AHL goaltender as their back-up and have Holtby start a majority of them, but have Samsonov earn his way up from Hershey.
This would make sense but the Caps don't have Cap Space for that. If Grubauer is traded it's likely for futures.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You do know Tom and Colin aren't related though... :sarcasm:

Also, I don't think the Avs want to get rid of Varlamov/Bernier.

I'd think he goes to the Islanders for Brock Nelson and a 2nd.
I'm not sure how keen I am or the Caps would be in Nelson. I'd guess they'd prefer a pick.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Except you didn't mention other notable goalies like Bishop, Bernier, Halak, Mason
Here's a more simple exercise. Sort that list by goalies that were traded as RFAs and not UFAs. The list is much smaller and nearly all returned 1sts or early 2nds+ whether they were backups or had stints as starters.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Grubauer is a multiple 2nd's type of deal. Hasn't played enough in any one season to prove he's anything more than a 1B level goaltender.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Yes, most of us realize that. But we also realize it may be possible to get a pick about 10 spots earlier than 32 (or have Buffalo throw in an additional later pick).
Disagree, many Caps fans are so fixated on it being a first round pick that they neglect to look at the overall picture, hence why I felt it necessary to overstate the obvious. 10 spots earlier than 32, hopefully they would rule out trading him within Division (Canes, Islanders and Flyers) thus narrowing possible teams. Buffalo just seemed to me to be the logical choice since they'll already get their defenseman Dahlin with the first pick, I figure they'll then be anxious to address their goalie situation hence trading for Grubauer. If they can obtain additional picks along with Buffalo's second all the better.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
What other picks the Caps have is of little relevance. Based on the multitude of trades posted by Gigantor the value is a mid- to late-1st. Look at the Lehner trade. For the Caps I think the cost would likely be something like Buf 2018 2nd + 2019 2nd.
BS! Caps in the '17 draft did not have a pick until the 4th round. Their lack of depth at Hershey/prospects is an ongoing discussion with Caps fans. Having three picks within the top 50 picks is something the Capitals organization has not experienced all that often in recent times, so the number of draft picks and where they are in draft order is always relevant.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
BS! Caps in the '17 draft did not have a pick until the 4th round. Their lack of depth at Hershey/prospects is an ongoing discussion with Caps fans. Having three picks within the top 50 picks is something the Capitals organization has not experienced all that often in recent times, so the number of draft picks and where they are in draft order is always relevant.
It isn't a priority that I think management will weigh more highly that overt value on In-Demand assets. The Caps aren't going to say Grubauer is worth more than a high second but that gives us three picks in the Top 50 so we're good.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Grubauer is a multiple 2nd's type of deal. Hasn't played enough in any one season to prove he's anything more than a 1B level goaltender.
Nope. Martin Jones, Lehner, Cory Schneider...none of them had played more games in any season than Grubauer did This Year when they were traded and all returned 1sts.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Don't look at the Lehner trade. That was the beginning of the end for Murray. For a GM that became known for overpaying to get guys he wanted, Lehner was probably the worst trade he ever made. There's a reason he's out of the league, and the only other GM's that would be prone to that big of a mistake are in Montreal and Vancouver, two teams that don't need a goalie. If caps could get 32-40 for him they should take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad