Confirmed Signing with Link: Capitals sign Ilya Samonov

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Overpayment by which team?

I don’t think they’d have to look very far to find a suitor.

Just talking within the division, the Flyers have a glaring need and Grubauer would be a good stopgap til Hart, who would become the 1B. Carolina can’t ride with Darling again and expect progression, so they’re probably a little desperate, too.

If I had to pick between the two, Carolina is probably likelier to pull trigger out of desperation.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
People are vastly overestimating a goalies trade worth, let alone a backup ones, if they think Grubs will fetch a 1st or something like that. Caps are in the position of excess, no teams desperate for a Grub type.

Reactions: Caspian

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Wonder if the Wings would give up one of their early seconds for Grubauer. Howard just has just a year left and they don't have a real option at backup.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Oh, what's your offer, then? This should be interesting.

That’s the things. Caps are in a position of excess with a player they have to give Grubs spit to now. They have to deal him eventually. Teams don’t have to take him. From a negotiation standpoint it’s the Caps in a position of weakness not the rest of the league. That’s putting aside the historically poor return goalies fetch. Last goalie I remember fetching a first is Andersen and I can’t remember before that. He was much higher profile and went to a relatively desperate team too. Unlike the Caos, the Ducks didn’t have a Samsonov knocking at the door either.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
That’s the things. Caps are in a position of excess with a player they have to give Grubs spit to now. They have to deal him eventually. Teams don’t have to take him. From a negotiation standpoint it’s the Caps in a position of weakness not the rest of the league. That’s putting aside the historically poor return goalies fetch. Last goalie I remember fetching a first is Andersen and I can’t remember before that. He was much higher profile and went to a relatively desperate team too. Unlike the Caos, the Ducks didn’t have a Samsonov knocking at the door either.

Schneider for 9th OA?

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Oh, what's your offer, then? This should be interesting.

The Canes shouldn’t offer any unprotected first for anyone. This year is a prime example of why, always a chance to win the lottery.

I doubt Washington trades Grubauer in the division. If they were willing, the Canes have many pieces that fit their need of secondary scoring. Any one of Zykov, Wallmark, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Nic Roy, Julien Gauthier, etc. could be available and I’d guess there is a fit somewhere in there.

Grubauer for Valentin Zykov + 2019 2nd

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t think they’d have to look very far to find a suitor.

Just talking within the division, the Flyers have a glaring need and Grubauer would be a good stopgap til Hart, who would become the 1B. Carolina can’t ride with Darling again and expect progression, so they’re probably a little desperate, too.

If I had to pick between the two, Carolina is probably likelier to pull trigger out of desperation.

Add Buffalo, Florida, St. Louis, potentially Calgary...

Lots of teams would be lining up.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Schneider for 9th OA?

Again, much higher profile goalie than Grubs with much more proven ability. Also went to a desperate team. What team is desperate for a goalie of Grubs caliber, especially considering that the Caps are the ones who need to make a move? That would be akin to a team trading a first for Darling when Darling was with the Blackhawks, except if the Hawks had an elite prospect just signed to an ELC.

Even with Schneider that makes two goalies in the last how many years? Both much higher profile ones than Grub.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
People are vastly overestimating a goalies trade worth, let alone a backup ones, if they think Grubs will fetch a 1st or something like that. Caps are in the position of excess, no teams desperate for a Grub type.
Are you familiar with the buffalo sabres

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Early 1st might be a stretch, but I think a late one can do.

Maybe, but the chances of the Canes having a late 1st (even with Grubauer), unless they acquire one from someone else, is slim IMO. They are much more likely to be in the lottery, which is why I wouldn't do it. Even a late 1st I'd have a bit of heartburn over, but not worth debating.

EDIT: of course, what I would do and what our GM by committee would do are likely 2 different things.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Again, much higher profile goalie than Grubs with much more proven ability. Also went to a desperate team. What team is desperate for a goalie of Grubs caliber, especially considering that the Caps are the ones who need to make a move? That would be akin to a team trading a first for Darling when Darling was with the Blackhawks, except if the Hawks had an elite prospect just signed to an ELC.

Even with Schneider that makes two goalies in the last how many years? Both much higher profile ones than Grub.

Isles, Philly, and even Canes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad