Capitals 'Ring of Honor'

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would be a big supporter of a "Ring of Honor" if they unretired a few of the numbers they have retired.

A few? What numbers are up there now? 5, 7, 11 and 32? I get 7 but 5 and 11 are totally legit and 32 is arguable. A few?

edit: Ron Labre? That is sure a cred killer

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think its next to impossible for anyone that didn't actually see those horrible teams that Labre played on to understand the sacrifice that player suffered for the franchise.

Hall of Famer he is not but his number and name need a place of honor.

This!

And as he is my sons current youth hockey coach I have zero bias in this discussion. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A few? What numbers are up there now? 5, 7, 11 and 32? I get 7 but 5 and 11 are totally legit and 32 is arguable. A few?

edit: Ron Labre? That is sure a cred killer

100% keep Langway retired. 100% move Labre and Hunter to the Ring of Honor. Probably keep Gartner retired, but I could be persuaded to change my opinion on that one. This isn't a slight against Labre, Hunter, or Gartner. They deserve to be honored by the Washington Capitals. But when you compare them against the caliber of player that gets their number retired by other franchises, they simply aren't at that level. They are perfect candidates for a Ring of Honor scenario.

Detroit only has seven numbers retired, and guys like Fedorov, Hasek, Chelios, Shananhan, and Datsyuk aren't up there (although Dats could be some day). They're leaving out Hall of Famers that spent a decade in motown, won Hart trophies, and/or helped them win Cups. The Penguins only have two retired numbers, Michel Briere and Mario Lemiuex.

It's also about time for guys like Bondra and Kolzig to get some sort of commemoration from the franchise, either via retired number of Ring of Honor status. With them, Ovechkin, and Backstrom in the rafters (maaaybe Holtby too), suddenly it's awfully crowded in the rafters for a franchise that's only won a single Stanley Cup*. A Ring of Honor seems perfect for the Capitals to honor players who were important to the franchise, but don't meet the exceptional bar that should be associated with number retirement.

*hell yeah it feels nice to say that

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm with Hive on this. Retire only the best of the best. Not the fan faves or most loyal. Langway, Gartner (grudgingly... but he's a all-time goal scorer--I wouldn't be sad if he was demoted), Ovie, probably Backstrom. Holtby if he retires with playoff stats like he has now will be in HOF, an all-time performer, and probably warrants a banner. Everyone else on the ring.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Backstrom has definitely earned a #19 retirement. He's already #1 in assists, #3 in points, #5 in goals, #1 in +/-, and #7 in games played in franchise history. By the time he retires or moves onto a different team, it's hard not seeing him in #2 for both Games Played and Points (only 26 away from Bondra currently), although perhaps he loses that #1 in +/-. Combined with him being a critical part of all the President's Trophy teams and the franchise's only Stanley Cup, Nicky should definitely be the final Capital to wear the #19.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They’ve already been retired. Why begrudge someone the honor? Why slap them in the face by revoking it?

Seems super petty to me to be carrying some torch for revocation of already retired #s.

Holtby has a way to go for me. I’ll be surprised if he finishes his career here. His next contract demands could see them cut ties IMO.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They’ve already been retired. Why begrudge someone the honor? Why slap them in the face by revoking it?

Seems super petty to me to be carrying some torch for revocation of already retired #s.

Holtby has a way to go for me. I’ll be surprised if he finishes his career here. His next contract demands could see them cut ties IMO.

Samsonov will be the bigger reason to let him go but I get the point.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You want them paying him a Lunqvist type deal? That threat combined with developing youth could very well see him gone IMO.

Absolutely not! I'm fine with the Caps moving Holtby next summer if it is shown Samsonov is ready. Aim for a second rounder and/or a decent prospect. Returns for goalies are usually garbage.

If Samsonov is NOT ready, then you just let Holtby walk in two years. The timing really works out perfectly for the Caps here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
100% keep Langway retired. 100% move Labre and Hunter to the Ring of Honor. Probably keep Gartner retired, but I could be persuaded to change my opinion on that one. This isn't a slight against Labre, Hunter, or Gartner. They deserve to be honored by the Washington Capitals. But when you compare them against the caliber of player that gets their number retired by other franchises, they simply aren't at that level. They are perfect candidates for a Ring of Honor scenario.

Detroit only has seven numbers retired, and guys like Fedorov, Hasek, Chelios, Shananhan, and Datsyuk aren't up there (although Dats could be some day). They're leaving out Hall of Famers that spent a decade in motown, won Hart trophies, and/or helped them win Cups. The Penguins only have two retired numbers, Michel Briere and Mario Lemiuex.

its an easy question for me. hall of fame. no other player should wear the number of a HHOFr. So, I can live with 32 coming down but I would suggest to you that the players would feel differently.

Couldn't find a list of retired numbers by team. So I skimmed. The Flyers have 5 including Ashbee. Kings have 7. Blues have 7. Vancouver has 4. I don't think the Caps 4 is an outrageous number

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Just what we need more shit hanging from the rafters. Careful, they'll be needing a structural engineer to come in and assess the Capital One Arena's roof to see if it can support all of this crap hanging up there. Rather than add more shit, how about reducing some of the crap that's up there. From a Caps standpoint definitely need the SC banner, and a banner for celebrating the Presidents Cup years, but thereafter kind of meh on banners that celebrate Division or Conference first place finishes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just what we need more **** hanging from the rafters. Careful, they'll be needing a structural engineer to come in and assess the Capital One Arena's roof to see if it can support all of this crap hanging up there. Rather than add more ****, how about reducing some of the crap that's up there. From a Caps standpoint definitely need the SC banner, and a banner for celebrating the Presidents Cup years, but thereafter kind of meh on banners that celebrate Division or Conference first place finishes.
I expect that the division titles will be consolidated into one banner. one for those. one for the conference title in 98 and one for the cup.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just what we need more **** hanging from the rafters. Careful, they'll be needing a structural engineer to come in and assess the Capital One Arena's roof to see if it can support all of this crap hanging up there. Rather than add more ****, how about reducing some of the crap that's up there. From a Caps standpoint definitely need the SC banner, and a banner for celebrating the Presidents Cup years, but thereafter kind of meh on banners that celebrate Division or Conference first place finishes.
The Ring of Honor would mean LESS shit hanging from the rafters if they take down some of the retired numbers.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'd feel pretty shitty if I was the guy who had to call Dale to tell him his number was coming down.

I'm all for the ring of honor, raising the bar on future number retirements, and consolidating banners. I'd be happy to toss all division champ banners, those are garbage. At least consolidate them.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I give zero shits as to who other teams have retired or how other fanbases look at Yvon Labre's or Dale Hunter's retired numbers in the Caps rafters.

Sorry if its embarrassing. Sorry if the other fanbases poke fun. 1st of all, we now have a Cup so the banner joke is over. 2nd of all, we have a cup, so they all suck. and C. They have consolidated the division champ banners.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad