Post-Game Talk: CAPITALS @ Red Winged Wheel 7:37ish Mike Green edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If Oshie had scored on that crazy dive play, what a highlight. Mrazek was amazing all night. Holtby looked like he didn't understand how that got through - I've had those. His pad looked down but the paddle definitely wasn't (and obviously the pad wasn't completely down either).

Onward to Philadelphia, where the team has cancelled practice for today.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If Oshie had scored on that crazy dive play, what a highlight. Mrazek was amazing all night. Holtby looked like he didn't understand how that got through - I've had those. His pad looked down but the paddle definitely wasn't (and obviously the pad wasn't completely down either).

Onward to Philadelphia, where the team has cancelled practice for today.

"A shot that shouldn't go in, but I'd play it the same way every time," Holtby said. "Just didn't have my equipment right."

From NHL.com.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Whatever people thought about Ovi not getting his PP chances due to poor feeds from Carly just wasn't applicable last night. Carlson put the puck in the wheelhouse repeatedly - it just didn't go in.

Oshie - again with the miss on his Grade A+ chance (or 2) per game. He is clearly generating more dangerous scoring chances for himself than any other winger that's played with Ovie in a long time, but man he's got to bury more of them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A lineup they could try:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Johansson-Backstrom-Williams
Chimera-Latta-Galiev
Laich-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Schmidt-Niskanen
Chorney-Orlov

Scratched: Burakovsky
Injured: Orpik

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Whatever people thought about Ovi not getting his PP chances due to poor feeds from Carly just wasn't applicable last night. Carlson put the puck in the wheelhouse repeatedly - it just didn't go in.

Oshie - again with the miss on his Grade A+ chance (or 2) per game. He is clearly generating more dangerous scoring chances for himself than any other winger that's played with Ovie in a long time, but man he's got to bury more of them.

Early in the game Carlson was off with the pass at least 3 times in a row. I didn't see every pass later on but I know Ovie got some feeds from others.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Biggest issue is if we send Burakovsky down, we're basically forced to run Mojo in the top 6. Not unless you want to bump up one of Chimera or Wilson (which I'm okay with the latter if they let him play a little more open). I wouldn't mind Galiev getting a shot up there for a few games but I'm not sure he's earned it, though I think he'll be playing some when he gets back from Hershey.

I'd also be curious to see what would happen if we swapped 77 and 14 (if Williams is put back on the 2nd line) for a bit. As I said in another thread, I think Oshie has played very well but only putting up 8 points when your linemates have put up a total of 31 between them isn't cutting it.

Oshie has put up 4 ES points so far this season playing top line minutes.

Johansson is doing just fine. The 2nd line was doing more than fine until they decided to try to get Burakovsky going and undeservedly moved him up. The 3rd line with Wilson on it was doing just fine, Wilson wasn't doing anything offensively but so what and the line as a whole was fine.

Move Williams back up into the top 6. If they want bump Oshie down with Johansson and Backstrom that is fine IMO. Put the 3rd line back together. Send Burakovsky down in an effort to get his confidence back. With Vrana hurt Hershey could use the injection of skill even with Galiev being there for another week. Laich-Stephenson-Latta is a reasonable 4th line IMO. Call someone up to be the spare forward.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams
Johansson-Backstrom-Oshie
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson
Laich-Stephenson-Latta

Profit...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Burakovsky was awful last night. He has zippy confidence with the puck and without it he seems to be a step and a half behind what is going on. I don't know what is going on with his ability to read and react to what is going on around him but whatever it is it clearly isn't anywhere close to natural at this point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Early in the game Carlson was off with the pass at least 3 times in a row. I didn't see every pass later on but I know Ovie got some feeds from others.

I bet coaches planted the seed in his head that the PKer is going to be ALL over that pass, and to err on the side of caution. From game 1.

Later in the game, only after reading what the PK wants to do, is he zeroing in. Or, what I wanted to see happened, happened. Ovi simply drifted back a few feet.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I bet coaches planted the seed in his head that the PKer is going to be ALL over that pass, and to err on the side of caution. From game 1.

Later in the game, only after reading what the PK wants to do, is he zeroing in. Or, what I wanted to see happened, happened. Ovi simply drifted back a few feet.

Or Ovechkin, who isn't shy about talking to his teammates, told him to pass better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

RH...most pk's are not challenging that pass. where ov stands, close or futher back, isn't usually relevant. the pk's are standing in the shooting lane. they don't move far from it.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Ovie got 15 SOGs and missed the net a few times as well. At some point in the 3rd, when it became apparent that Mrazek was anticipating the past and sliding over and out to Ovie - it really became imperative for him to fake the shot and dish back to Oshie/Williams in the middle or MoJo/Bura down low.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovie got 15 SOGs and missed the net a few times as well. At some point in the 3rd, when it became apparent that Mrazek was anticipating the past and sliding over and out to Ovie - it really became imperative for him to fake the shot and dish back to Oshie/Williams in the middle or MoJo/Bura down low.

Yeah but not all his shots were one timers from his spot. He had several in tight chances as well. Call a spade a spade. Mrazek was just on his game and Ovie played great. Second guessing those are really nitpicking. Hindsight is 20/20

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Agree Mrazek was awesome, thus creating the need to change up the approach a bit - especially by the 3rd period when it was clear Mrazek was primed to stop the blast from the circle. It called for an in-game adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad