Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers | Game 5 | 7:00 PM | May 8, 2015 (continued)

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Both Glencross and Gleason played that poorly. Gleason should have stepped up and forced the Ranger to dump it in, but true to our freaking idiotic strategy he backed way off. Glencross, feeling that his bad pass wasn't enough, did nothing. Did not cut off a passing lane, did not hit him, did zilch.

Trotz has them scared to death to challenge Rags forwards at the blue line. It's insane how easily they are entering our zone. You watch the Rags as we approach their blue line they have one guy angling our puck carrier toward another guy, forcing us to dump it in. Of course if we had an ounce of creativity there are ways around that, but we don't. We, however, allow them straight lines into our zone. The difference on the GWG is that the other 2 Caps forwards failed to back check and we paid the price.

I'm not as enamored by Trotz' style as some, but let's see if he's worth the praise by adjusting accordingly. Personally I would not have taken the previous wins as proof that our strategy is working because I thought the Rangers had an exorbitant amount of B chances and figured some would eventually start to go in. But whatever, let's see if a loss leads to adjustments.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The refs robbed us of the victory yesterday. The goal should've counted.

I'm confident in Trotz's ability to make adjustments for next game. #8 and #19 need to score, they're not doing enough. We can and should defeat them at VC if Holtby keeps playing like he has.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The refs robbed us of the victory yesterday. The goal should've counted.

I'm confident in Trotz's ability to make adjustments for next game. #8 and #19 need to score, they're not doing enough. We can and should defeat them at VC if Holtby keeps playing like he has.

It was a terrible, terrible call no doubt. Not only was Ward outside the crease, but he was pushed by the defender and was still outside the crease after being pushed.

That said, there is no guarantee that we would have scored GlenX's goal had that one stood. You cannot make the assumption that we would have had 2 goals.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It was a terrible, terrible call no doubt. Not only was Ward outside the crease, but he was pushed by the defender and was still outside the crease after being pushed.

That said, there is no guarantee that we would have scored GlenX's goal had that one stood. You cannot make the assumption that we would have had 2 goals.

Yeah and at the same time we don't know if we would have scored more goals, either. It wasn't just a bad call that led to a PP or something. It was a good goal that got taken off the board. Refs impacting the game doesn't get more blatant than that.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
I was feeling pretty down about that loss last night, but today I'm optimistic. We didn't play great but the refs stole that win from us. Waved off a good goal, missed a too many men on the Rangers that led to a goal and didn't call the goalie interference on Holtby during the last goal. I don't see us getting shafted that bad at home.

That being said, the lack of scoring is really appalling. OV and Backstrom really need to step it up. The top line is going to have to make mark for us to win on sunday.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm kind of glad I have a beer league game tomorrow night. Last night was stressful!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Montreal wins tonight, thats a good omen for us. I doubt they will win that series but with Price they have a shot.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wish my brain knew how to stay calm, but I'm already nervous for tomorrow. It has to end in game 6 because a game 7 has a loss written all over it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm not stressing out anymore.
They are doing what they can, it's gonna be tight either way, and they've already proved they can win some high-pressure games.
Hoping for some big individual performances.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
If the Rangers dominate possession/zone time like they have for most of this series, we will lose. I don't anticipate that many scoring chances, even if B level, to continue to fail for the Rags. And I think we saw that beginning in game 5. What worries me is that it will be very difficult to turn a switch on and suddenly play more aggressively on both ends of the ice. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling Trotz has made a fatal boo boo. It's not like the man has ever been past the 2nd round with his method.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Well at least the NHL isn't going into full ass hat mode and defending the call publicly.

Still remember them defending the Flyers goal in game 7 in 2008 that was a result of a dman without the puck being hit into Huet and then saying less than 2 years later that the correct call was made when they took away a Capitals goal because Ovechkin hit Gill who had the puck into Price.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I say we got this tomorrow. We have had so many guys go quiet this series or the past 3 games. Brouwer, Johansson, Green and Carlson are all due for a point (right?) and 8/19/92 haven't done anything since game 2.

Would be nice to get some more puck possession, but at least IMO we have been getting more high quality chances than they have. They have been taking a ton of shots from far out and they often have sustained zone time that leads to absolutely nothing. This teams defends as well as anyone. Just need some offensive help tonight and we will FINALLY be in the ECF. Ovechkin could (needs to) have a huge game to silence his haters and add to his legacy and help his team advance past the 2nd round.

Does anyone else feel like if they win this round we could see a much more relaxed (In a good way) group? Finally getting past the hump I feel could make this group even better.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
wilson-check.gif

need more wilson

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps were upset in 1986 by an underdog Rangers squad. The Caps had finished 29 points ahead of the Rangers in the standings.

I would consider a win on Sunday to be suitable revenge 29 years later. :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Seems pretty lazy explanation. Atleast leave the ''in the crease'' part out of it because it's obvious to anyone watching that Lundqvist came outside his crease and Ward wasn't in the crease before the puck had already crossed the goal-line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad