Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - 7pmish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
So my question is: which is the suspendable part?

You know the part of the DoPS video where they get to whether or not the guy in question has disciplinary history? That'll be the suspendable part.

This isn't really one I'm interested in overanalyzing, but if I had to bet, they'll focus the optics on the fact that Buch was being held in a position that prevented him from getting his arms up to protect himself. So the word "defenseless" is going to come up a lot.

I personally don't see the big deal, though it certainly won't surprise me if Wilson gets suspended again.

When you look at it dispassionately, Tom is definitely holding him down and trying to sneak in a couple of jabs. He's not pummeling the guy, but they're not love-taps either. What happens with Panarin strikes me as just what happens when David fights Goliath without the slingshot. I'm not up on the 3rd-man-in rules these days, but jumping on a guy's back when he's already clearly engaged with someone else seems like a bad career move when that guy is twice your size. A fight's a fight -- I don't think Panarin should be treated like a victim here. You don't want to get hit by a train, stay off the tracks.

Having said all that, for me it always comes back to Tom's lack of judgment. Doesn't matter if it's a blowout, he'll fight the rookie. Doesn't matter if there's nothing to be gained, he'll run Carlo. Doesn't matter if we're down 3 of our top 6, he'll punch a defenseless guy. Doesn't matter if we're a couple games away from the playoffs and the DoPS is laying in the weeds for him, he'll pull off the star player's helmet and ragdoll him a couple times.

We can be homers and wonder why everyone has it in for Tommy, or we can acknowledge that while, no, he's definitely not the monster everyone outside of DC makes him out to be, he does, in fact, bring a sizable portion of this attention on himself... So when the rest of the hockey world erupts, "WTF??? This guy is TRYING to get suspended!" I'm always just quietly wishing he'd occasionally try to NOT get suspended. ;)

(Shit, turns out I WAS interested in overanalyzing this one... Sorry.)

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
1. I think I hope Ovi said before the game "since we're not dressing 12F anyway why do I not try to take one shift to see how I am feeling".

2. Good coaching by Lavi. Don't be afraid to take a TO even though you're down by 1 and it's only the second period.

3. Wilson changed this game (like in the SC18 run after his hit on ZAR)

An action provoke a reaction
If Buch don't touch the goalie, there's no Willy in the scrum
If Panarin don't come in from behind on Willson (who already have Strome around him), there's no Willy vs Panarin.

Panarin out for the rest of the season? LOL they have 3 meaningless games left and he already said that he won't play in the WC in Riga. Karma B.

DOPS shouldn't suspend Willy but they will because they have guys like Parros who wants let people forget how dirty he was by tagging another player in that category.

4. F you Rags, let's go play some golf.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Look the league is trying to get the physical aspect of the game out (fighting, hitting). Which is one of the main reasons most of us watch this sport because of the physicality. Tommy is a throwback and tonight he couldnt hold back any longer. Sadly thats the way our society is changing. People(men) are getting softer.
It's what they call a "toxic masculinity" to make themselves feel superior to people that built the old school, traditional way . Sure when you say that out loud sounds like you're such a smartass lmao. The society is ill indeed.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Panarin injury confirmed?
Panarin was already injured I believe as he was iffy to play in the game or hadn’t skated in practice because of a lower body thing. The Rangers also said he wasn’t returning to the game last night because of a lower body issue. Seems like if anything, he reaggravated something that was already bothering him.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I'm honestly concerned at this point that he's gonna get a Torres suspension. If you go on any hockey social media platform, people are calling for very lengthy suspension (some wanted him banned like McSorley). The max he got was 20 games, reduced down to 14 games afterwards.

If the NHL doesn't give him a suspension of that duration, it will unleash a shitstorm of epic proportions. They just signed a deal with ESPN and can't afford any bad press.

If he's gone for the rest of the season, we're f***ed for the playoffs, that's a huge hole in our roster with no one available to fill it.

Which is what makes what he did more stupid. He knows he has a target on his back and they will look for any reason to suspend him. Everyone in here can and will call it unfair but it is what it is, I'd rather have him on the ice not trying to play the role, than have him sitting for the playoffs.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Telling Wilson he can skate and shoot but can't hit is like telling Clapton he can sing but he has to use only one hand to play the guitar. Folks who want Willie to dial it back seem to think it's an easy adjustment. Unfortunately, the results are not the same as when he (or Clapton) is using the complete package as they both have done for decades.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
he hit him in the back of the head.

And Buch kicked and stabbed VV. And Panarin punched Wilson in the back of the head while he was restrained, after jumping on him.

We could go on.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
David Quinn literally said after the game that Panarin was OK. Seems pretty fishy...

Didn't Panarin have to sit out not long ago due to personal stuff in Russia?

Rangers' Panarin Taking Leave of Absence After Shocking Reports Surface - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

I'll wait for a full medical report and some kind of solid evidence that TW brutally mauled him. IMO the bread boy bit off more than he could chew, probably got banged up doing it, and now that NYR are out of the playoffs he just wants to slink back home.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And Buch kicked and stabbed VV. And Panarin punched Wilson in the back of the head while he was restrained, after jumping on him.

We could go on.
I wouldn't even discuss this with UM. He is obviously more into figure skating then hockey.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Didn't Panarin have to sit out not long ago due to personal stuff in Russia?

Rangers' Panarin Taking Leave of Absence After Shocking Reports Surface - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

I'll wait for a full medical report and some kind of solid evidence that TW brutally mauled him. IMO the bread boy bit off more than he could chew, probably got banged up doing it, and now that NYR are out of the playoffs he just wants to slink back home.
Someone else above my post pointed out he was injured and was a game time decision apparently.

I just think it’s funny how last night the narrative was that he’s okay and it changes this morning. Probably because they are eliminated from playoff contention and they know an injured player means the possibility of a larger suspension from DoPs.

Reactions: g00n

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I would like to see Tom be smarter. I love the edge and tenacity he brings but he's gotta know there are people watching his every move with pitch forks waiting to string him up. The blue checkmark brigade on Twitter who can't see planet Earth because they're so on-high on their pedestal will demand blood. There is a difference he needs to learn between "can he do that" and "should he do that." I honestly don't see anything in this incident that's suspendible but it just makes the dialogue around him that much more toxic and he can't keep spinning the Wheel of Misfortune with the DOPS. I have zero idea if he'll get suspended because while, again, I don't see a specific incident meriting a suspension the DOPS has crafted the Tom Wilson clause with the "totality of the circumstances" precedent so who knows.

That said, people whining about him can generally f*** off. I'm pretty tired of all of the pontification and the holier-than-thou platitudes we see when it comes to Wilson. Hockey is violent and the league has set the bar for what they'll accept. Just in recent memory for Washington, Ray Emery skated across the rink to ragdoll Holtby who didn't want to fight -- and then Emery bragged about telling Holtby to just cover up even if he didn't want to go -- because he was upset his team was getting worked. Brad Marchand jumped Eller and left him cut and bleeding from his face because he was upset that Eller scored a goal on them and he didn't like how he celebrated. Both cheapshots against guys who never fight by players with questionable (at best) histories and the league said nothing. Every night there are guys throwing crosschecks, punches, slew foots, whatever. Where was the outrage when Kempny suffered a career-defining injury because Paquette tackled him to the ground, tore his hamstring off his bone, and then was throwing punches as Kempny was laying prone on the ice? There was none because it's not cool to talk about Paquette but railing against Tom gets you the likes and retweets. It's all noise and bullshit.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So I'm wondering if TVR has earned a lineup spot given his run of good play? He's helped form a surprisingly effective pairing with Dillon. Even if you think TVR himself might be slightly worse than Schultz and Jensen, helping Dillon be a good top 4 option should maybe give him the nod in the lineup over both Schultz and Jensen.

It might not matter if Schultz is injured for any period of time, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Too cold hearted? Cant wait. Based on track record this is anti Wilson cold heartedness. If not, I will need to sit. Otherwise I would love to see how could you can be

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Too cold hearted? Cant wait. Based on track record this is anti Wilson cold heartedness. If not, I will need to sit. Otherwise I would love to see how could you can be

It had nothing to do with Wilson, don't worry! It was a joke in poor-taste about Ray Emery.

I think I am going to sit out this discussion about Wilson for now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So I'm wondering if TVR has earned a lineup spot given his run of good play? He's helped form a surprisingly effective pairing with Dillon. Even if you think TVR himself might be slightly worse than Schultz and Jensen, helping Dillon be a good top 4 option should maybe give him the nod in the lineup over both Schultz and Jensen.

It might not matter if Schultz is injured for any period of time, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it.
I think TVR has earned a spot in the top 6. He and Dillon have been very good together.
It was a disaster when Schultz and Dillon were paired.
TVR is alot better than Schultz defensively.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It had nothing to do with Wilson, don't worry! It was a joke in poor-taste about Ray Emery.

I think I am going to sit out this discussion about Wilson for now.

Oh geez. Ray Emery. Yea, pass on that. Wanna talk about Kuznetsov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad