Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Fehervary interview suggests he's joining the Slovakian camp for the WCs and will hopefully make the cut. Also appears to say the plan is to come to NA in the fall, though it's not 100%.
Makes sense. Although Geisser is a bit banged up, he apparently will be okay come playoff time. Hershey already had solid LD depth with Ness, LuJo, Geisser and now Nardella in the fold. Allows Fehervary to come into training camp and have a smoother transition next season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Wasn’t at the game last night and unfortunately won’t make the last two this weekend but Hershey battled back from a 2-0 deficit and lost 3-2 in OT. Malenstyn and Kammerer with the goals. Hershey still has a realistic shot at finishing anywhere from 2nd to 4th in their division. They play Hartford (x2) and Utica for their three remaining games. They have a great shot at winning all three of those even with some guys hurt. Steman (signed to an ATO) slotted into the 4th line for Gustafsson last night and ended up getting an assist on the Malenstyn goal. Hershey also signed Chris McCarthy to a PTO to provide even more depth. Allows SC to keep their guys for their ECHL playoff run

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Sportsnet April top 31 rankings. It seems like right around 19 is where it begins to open up. Poulin seems likely to rise with his playoff performance so far.

Must admit, I have yet to pay much attention to the draft, other than the top prospects.

Are there any game-breakers that will be falling to the 25-30 range? I'm all about BPA and the combination of highest talent and ceiling when it comes to high draft picks. Would love to add another Vrana-type player to our forward ranks - which would be outright scary, given our talent and depth - and our scouting staff is definitely capable of that. I assume it'd have to be a European for sure, based on the criteria I want above, haha.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I assume it'd have to be a European for sure, based on the criteria I want above, haha.
Probably. Still a bit early to narrow down altogether but a few upside forward possibilities not among Sportsnet's rankings include Russians Pavel Dorofeyev & Ilya Nikolayev and a couple of smaller Americans in Bobby Brink & Nick Robertson. Ideally, maybe someone drops like Poulin, Afanasyev or McMichael. With Priskie walking I guess Seider or Thomson can't be entirely ruled out either. Of that group, Poulin seems like the safest bet to be a quality third-liner at least that can do a lot of little things in addition to producing. It's why I think he rises out of their range but those other two could be worthwhile depth bets with upside. Super high upside would be great but they may only need a quality third-liner that can mix into the top nine in a variety of ways. That should be pretty doable, though if Connolly walks then the need for quality depth naturally increases quite a bit more.

Jun 15, 2007
I just found out the AHL's Pacific division plays less games than the rest. I wonder how bad all the other ideas were that they went with this.

How is the AHL gonna award top scorer? P/PG? Dreadful.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I just found out the AHL's Pacific division plays less games than the rest. I wonder how bad all the other ideas were that they went with this.

How is the AHL gonna award top scorer? P/PG? Dreadful.
Yep, and it’s going to be like that going forward for at least a couple more years. The NHL clubs that own those teams don’t want to pay for all the extra travel. It’s been a pretty contentious topic over on the AHL boards since the Pacific Division was adopted.

Hopefully when Seattle gets their AHL team it can be revisited

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Bears Playoff Schedule.

Finished off the season with a 3-1 win this evening versus Hartford. McCarthy, Leach and Snively with the goals. Lots of guys getting rest this evening. Liam served the second game of his three game suspension for a charging major on Friday night.

Snively is going to be a solid player. Very very small but has great skill, NHL level vision and a nice wrist shot.

Nardella was playing tonight and he’s very good as well. Elite level skater who jumps into the play a ton. QBed the second PP unit and was very good at it. Looked as if he has been playing at the AHL level for years. Losing Priskie sucks but Nardella might make up for it

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Riley Sutter has been sent to the Bears. I was really impressed with him last I saw him here in camp.
Really bummed I didn't get a chance to watch him in Everett this season. Went up to Everett for work a couple times, but they were either on the road or the games had already sold out (Friday night game against Seattle).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm curious as to see how he's used in Hershey, be it this season or next - center or wing?

The idea of a 6'3" center with two-way instincts certainly doesn't suck.
I’d assume this year he’s used on the wing unless Pilon isn’t healthy enough to do.

Sgarbossa
Megna
Pilon
Pinho/McCarthy

Is my guess for the centers that start game 1. Sutter could slot into the 4th line. There’s been a heavy rotation there with some guys just not playing well enough to stay in the lineup

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
USA/Sweden kick off the U18s on NHLN at 1:30 eastern. No Zegras apparently but it'll still feature eight of the top 20 players available IMO. No real prime 20s-31 level option aside from maybe Bjornfot, who's playing on Sweden's top PP nod over Soderstrom/Broberg.

Absent massive performances that really shake things up, the U18s for me are mostly about greater familiarity with the non-first round options (esp. Europeans). The only options currently in my 21-31 range in the tournament are the Canadians Poulin, Suzuki, Pelletier and perhaps Tomasino or McMichael (Canada has a spot open and could add either). But there are about dozen or more second rounders in my books currently that are playing and could either push for first round consideration or become hopefuls to slide a bit to Washington's second pick. One of those could be Albin Grewe, an agitating type winger that'll be playing for Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
They said Ness was taken to the hospital for X-rays. He was moving his extremities but that is an awful hit. That St. Denis guy has been borderline dirty all season long. Closer look at the collision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad