Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Personally I'd just argue that they keep their picks and begin to sell off for the rebuild when it's clear we can't contend for squat. If that's '19-'20 so be it, if it's not then, I would imagine it will be '20-'21. We aren't going to be able to fix a farm system this barren without an NHL Veteran sell off at a trade deadline or during the offseason in '20 or '21 at the latest. They aren't going to sell for obvious reasons this year, but they probably should next season or definitely the season after next ('20-'21).

So—- wave the white flag and not even try to defend the actual Stanley Cup Trophy?

Team sucks? Is that it?

Good Lord.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears went with 7 D and 11 Forwards last night to get Geisser some playing time. It was Geisser’s birthday and his parents were in town so a nice little gesture. I thought he played fairly well but ultimately his ice time diminished as the game went on. The D pairs were kind of all over the place outside of Ness-Lewington.

Hobbs had a petty lazy play that led to a breakaway goal for WBS. He was on the ice for a long time and was tired and threw a low percentage shot right into traffic that was immediately blocked and passed out of the zone for a breakaway.

Siegenthaler seemed to be disinterested. He wasn’t at the compete level that other guys were and he had a brutal play in the third. Went to step to a guy and completely got walked which led to a WBS goal.

You wouldn’t be able to tell that Johansen was out for a few months. Pretty solid game overall. His ability to lead a breakout and transition into the offensive zone is very, very good. Probably the second best on the team besides Ness.

Vitek was solid in net. Made 3 or 4 breakaway saves during the course of the game. He had to be solid early because Hershey came out pretty flat and gave up about 15 shots in the first period. Ultimately ends up stoping everyone in the shootout for the win.

Gersich uses his speed really well but he spends way to much time on his back side. He was knocked over during board battles or just flat out fell on his own a ton. He really needs to add muscle to have any impact in the NHL. Gets pushed around way too much. His line (Gersich-Megna-Pinho) is very very fast and they are an annoyance to the opposing team. Their ability to use their speed and to backcheck gets guys very frustrated. Pinho doesn’t put up points or generate a ton of offense but I think he could make the NHL as a bottom 6 forward.

Pilon quietly had a good game. He just does a lot of little things very well and the coaching staff continues to give him and Malenstyn more ice time. I’d like to see Pilon given some PK minutes but Hershey has an abundance of forwards who are solid penalty killers. Malenstyn is the generic brand version of Tom Wilson. Uses his speed and throws his body around and doesn’t shy away from anyone. He’s also developing into one of Hershey’s top penalty killers. His offensive game continues to improve and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him compete for a bottom six role next season. Easily Hershey’s unsung hero this season

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Gersich uses his speed really well but he spends way to much time on his back side. He was knocked over during board battles or just flat out fell on his own a ton. He really needs to add muscle to have any impact in the NHL. Gets pushed around way too much. His line (Gersich-Megna-Pinho) is very very fast and they are an annoyance to the opposing team. Their ability to use their speed and to backcheck gets guys very frustrated. Pinho doesn’t put up points or generate a ton of offense but I think he could make the NHL as a bottom 6 forward.

I've been saying this about Gersich since college.

Also I've seen quite a bit of Pinho and am really surprised he hasn't gotten a legit shot yet. He is fast and smart. He and Gersich are real shit disturber type players that drive the other team crazy.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Huge game today for the Bears. Playing the team directly in front of them for a playoff spot and one point behind them.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Another outstanding game by Samsonov. It is impressive how one players production can completely change the teams performances.

I did a comparison for all goalies from the same division since Christmas. No surprise Samsonov is literally destroying all AHL multiyear experienced goalies. Good news for Vanecek too. He continue to produce at exact same level as he did before and is only 10% away from the top 50% of AHL goalies. It will be nice to see Vitek with Bears for some more years. For Samsonov it is time to back-up Holtby in the future NHL play-off games.

PlayerTeamGPSV%Potential
Ilya SamsonovHershey Bears120,938NHL Hall of Fame
Zane McIntyreProvidence Bruins140,93NHL Back-up
Alex LyonLehigh Valley Phantoms130,926AHL Starter
Alex NedeljkovicCharlotte Checkers150,924AHL Starter
Chris DriedgerSpringfield Thunderbirds80,915AHL Starter
Tristan JarryWilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins140,908AHL Starter
Christopher GibsonBridgeport Sound Tigers170,906AHL Starter
Dan VladarProvidence Bruins70,908AHL Back-up
Marek MazanecHartford Wolf Pack80,908AHL Back-up
Vitek VanecekHershey Bears90,903AHL Back-up
Dustin TokarskiHartford Wolf Pack80,894AHL Back-up
Jeremy SmithBridgeport Sound Tigers140,89AHL Back-up
Samuel MontembeaultSpringfield Thunderbirds170,888AHL Back-up
Michael HutchinsonSpringfield Thunderbirds90,887ECHL
Scott DarlingCharlotte Checkers80,878ECHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Another outstanding game by Samsonov. It is impressive how one players production can completely change the teams performances.

I did a comparison for all goalies from the same division since Christmas. No surprise Samsonov is literally destroying all AHL multiyear experienced goalies. Good news for Vanecek too. He continue to produce at exact same level as he did before and is only 10% away from the top 50% of AHL goalies. It will be nice to see Vitek with Bears for some more years. For Samsonov it is time to back-up Holtby in the future NHL play-off games.

PlayerTeamGPSV%Potential
Ilya SamsonovHershey Bears120,938NHL Hall of Fame
Zane McIntyreProvidence Bruins140,93NHL Back-up
Alex LyonLehigh Valley Phantoms130,926AHL Starter
Alex NedeljkovicCharlotte Checkers150,924AHL Starter
Chris DriedgerSpringfield Thunderbirds80,915AHL Starter
Tristan JarryWilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins140,908AHL Starter
Christopher GibsonBridgeport Sound Tigers170,906AHL Starter
Dan VladarProvidence Bruins70,908AHL Back-up
Marek MazanecHartford Wolf Pack80,908AHL Back-up
Vitek VanecekHershey Bears90,903AHL Back-up
Dustin TokarskiHartford Wolf Pack80,894AHL Back-up
Jeremy SmithBridgeport Sound Tigers140,89AHL Back-up
Samuel MontembeaultSpringfield Thunderbirds170,888AHL Back-up
Michael HutchinsonSpringfield Thunderbirds90,887ECHL
Scott DarlingCharlotte Checkers80,878ECHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I lol'ed....*cough*

On a more serious note, great win for the Bears yesterday. They've got Lehigh again in about an hour, a win would put them into a playoff spot with a game in hand on Lehigh.

Can't even begin to describe how far Samsonov has come since the beginning of the season. Just before Sgarbossa scored the Bears first goal on the PP he made a tremendous save on a 2 on 1 that sprung the Bears back the other way. Shortly after they entered the zone after that save the Bears scored. He also made an incredible reactionary save with about 15 seconds to go and kept the game 2-2 to send it into overtime. Sammy was incredible in the shootout and stopped all three shooters. The first two guys he just out waited them until they basically had nothing left. He stayed with them so well they basically ran out of room. The third one was however a super flashy right pad full extension save to seal the victory after Sgarbossa scored the only shootout goal in the top half of the third round.

Both Bears goals came on the PP (nice to see after some recent PP struggles) and both were assisted by Barber and Ness. Megna had the other one on a nice wrist shot from the point from Barber. Megna was in front and deflected it home. Barber was looking for the deflection on the shot, smart play by him instead of trying to fire it home.

Points in 14 straight games is outrageous. I don't even know what's happening. :D Really love for them to find a way into the playoffs, I think it'll be great for all the young guys to get some of that playoff experience like so much of our current core in DC has. Some playoff success would be even more awesome. Fingers crossed! Go Bears!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This team tied a 76 year old franchise record for consecutive games with a point at 15 games. They have won 8! games in a row. What a fantastic turnaround for the kids in chocolatetown!

What’s really insane? 14-0-1 for 29pts isn’t even the best streak going in the AHL.

Bakersfield is 15-0 during the same. 30pts. Wild how streaky that league is.

In other news, not only is Hershey inside the playoff bubble now...they are 3rd in their division. Tied with Providence for 3rd but with a game in hand.

Bridgeport is only 6ts up in 2nd, and they have played 3 more games than Hershey. So 2nd in their division is a very real option if they keep winning.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What’s really insane? 14-0-1 for 29pts isn’t even the best streak going in the AHL.

Bakersfield is 15-0 during the same. 30pts. Wild how streaky that league is.

In other news, not only is Hershey inside the playoff bubble now...they are 3rd in their division. Tied with Providence for 3rd but with a game in hand.

Bridgeport is only 6ts up in 2nd, and they have played 3 more games than Hershey. So 2nd in their division is a very real option if they keep winning.
It’s crazy that the 08-09 or the 09-10 Hershey teams didn’t have a streak like this with how dominant they were.

This truly is a remarkable run considering Hershey was in the bottom 3 of the AHL standings at one point. Now they’re in a position to maybe acquire another goal scorer and make a serious playoff run

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It’s crazy that the 08-09 or the 09-10 Hershey teams didn’t have a streak like this with how dominant they were.

This truly is a remarkable run considering Hershey was in the bottom 3 of the AHL standings at one point. Now they’re in a position to maybe acquire another goal scorer and make a serious playoff run

I wish AJF was still over here, and that Shumakov had also stuck around. Would be a nice couple added forwards

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I wish AJF was still over here, and that Shumakov had also stuck around. Would be a nice couple added forwards
AJF seemed to fit in with the guys when he was here but Shumakov just didn’t work out. He didn’t do well in Springfield either so his game just didn’t translate well.

Maybe AJF returns if his Swedish team gets bounced or doesn’t make playoffs? No clue how they are doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad