Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Like I mentioned before, makes sense given his history within the organization. I like the hire and will be interested to see if they hire another assistant to go along with him

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Brooks Orpik:popcorn:
Haha I doubt it. Cashman already runs the D in Hershey. Last season they had Mann as the HC, Cashman as the assistant running the D and Ryan Murphy as the assistant focusing on video/special teams/forwards/skills development

I'd rather they bring in an assistant who can be Ryan Murphy 2.0 (but better because Hershey's PP/PK stunk)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Like the two Hershey signings so far. Center depth has been a huge issue and I’d assume both guys can also slot onto the wing if need be.

An elite level scoring winger would have been great but those seem to be gone now with Czarnik, Agostino, Terry etc. off the board

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Former Bear Paul Carey signs with the Ottawa organization. Another dynamic AHL winger off the board. Bourque has yet to sign so I wonder if he is indeed mulling returning to Hershey.

No other longtime Bears from last years team (Mitchell, Sill, Gazely etc.) have signed with other teams yet

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Interesting tidbits from this Vogel piece about Hershey. Looks like the Caps might not be signing a lot of veterans at this point. Maybe one or two more just for depth and injury reasons.

Also the tidbit about it being "More about Hershey" seems like a subtle shot at Doug Yingst IMO

Caps Manage to Keep Cup Core Together for Another Run | Dump N Chase

With newly named head coach Spencer Carbery at the helm, the AHL Hershey Bears figure to have one of their deepest freshman classes ever. Goaltender Ilya Samsonov is set to make his North American pro debut there in the fall, and first-year forwards Shane Gersich, Jusso Ikonen, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Max Kammerer, Beck Malenstyn, Garret Pilon and Brian Pinho are poised to do the same.

If one or two of those seven first-year forwards is ready to compete for an NHL job as early as 2019-20, doling out too much term to current RFA and UFA vets may prove counterproductive down the road. As it is, the Caps will be facing the challenge of having as many as seven first-year forwards at Hershey this season.

“Years ago, with the way we operated, I’d be worried,” admits Steve Richmond, Caps director of player development. “I’d be worried because it was more about Hershey than it was about developing, but it’s changed. So they’re going to have their opportunity to play. We’re not going to have six veteran forwards there, so they’re going to have an opportunity to play. And if they’re not ready, then we’ll make an adjustment. But they’ll have the first shot over a journeyman American League guy.”

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Bobby Butler off the board. Not a lot left, I'd try and convince Bourque to stay around and keep adding to his Hershey legacy. It's been rumored he wants to return to the Boston area since his kids are just about school aged.

Projected Hershey lineup assuming all these guys are sent down.

Gersich-Megna-Barber
AJF-Sgarbossa-Ikonen
Kammerer-Pinho-Bau
Malenstyn-Pilon-O'Brien
x-Hampus Gustaffson
x-Mason Mitchell

Ness-Lewington
LuJo-Williams
Siegenthaler-Hobbs
Bindulis

Samsonov
Vanecek

A LOT of youth and unknowns there with all the euro signings. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gersich or AJF make the Caps. Barber, O'Brien and Lewington have to pass through waivers so there's always a chance someone takes a flyer there.

Reactions: Maldini

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Bobby Butler off the board. Not a lot left, I'd try and convince Bourque to stay around and keep adding to his Hershey legacy. It's been rumored he wants to return to the Boston area since his kids are just about school aged.

Projected Hershey lineup assuming all these guys are sent down.

Gersich-Megna-Barber
AJF-Sgarbossa-Ikonen
Kammerer-Pinho-Bau
Malenstyn-Pilon-O'Brien
x-Hampus Gustaffson
x-Mason Mitchell

Ness-Lewington
LuJo-Williams
Siegenthaler-Hobbs
Bindulis

Samsonov
Vanecek

A LOT of youth and unknowns there with all the euro signings. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gersich or AJF make the Caps. Barber, O'Brien and Lewington have to pass through waivers so there's always a chance someone takes a flyer there.

Looks like a team that will have some growing pains but could grow into something fun to watch.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Caps are definitely moving Hershey more towards developmental compared to win now mode. Definite shift in philosophy.
Less vets in Hershey allows for more draft pick/ELC FA signings.

Reactions: Corby78

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Looks like a team that will have some growing pains but could grow into something fun to watch.
Could be but we'll see. I just don't want another dysfunctional mess like last year. It made going to games really hard.

I'd say that roster currently is better than Bridgeport and Springfield. They're probably better than Wilkes-Barre right now. They're on the same tier or a tier below Providence who will add some guys in the coming days/weeks I'm sure after they lost a bunch of AHL All-Stars. As it stands, the division front runners are Lehigh Valley and Charlotte. Both return a bunch of pieces, but both also could see multiple guys graduate to the NHL full time next season. July 1st wasn't an arms race like years past for Hershey's division.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hershey's team speed should be a lot better at least. That in turn should better prepare some for the next level. They won't have as much experience but their center depth is much improved and I don't doubt one of Boyd/Dowd ends up there. They could still use a Tangradi or Pulkkinen.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey's team speed should be a lot better at least. That in turn should better prepare some for the next level. They won't have as much experience but their center depth is much improved and I don't doubt one of Boyd/Dowd ends up there. They could still use a Tangradi or Pulkkinen.
Agreed on a lot of points. Team speed was horrendous last year. Adding Boyd or Dowd would be huge for their offense and PP.

Reports were that Pulkkinen was going to the KHL but he'd be a nice addition if not. I'd also throw in Joe Whitney and Casey Bailey to the equation. Whitney provided a much needed spark when he came to Hershey mid season and I could see him getting back to 50-60 points if given the right ice time. Casey Bailey is a non-vet which is always attractive to AHL teams and he put up 18 goals and 41 points on a bad Bridgeport team.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Does Tobias Geisser play in the AHL next year? Asking because EP has him listed as an AHLer for the upcoming season.
Really good catch! According to this interview with him he won't be returning home until the "Summer of 2019 after the season is over" so I'm going to say yeah he's definitely going to be in Hershey or South Carolina this year. Super glad to hear that actually. I had figured they would give him the 2 1/2 years development in the NLA like they gave Seigenthaler.

«Bescheiden bleiben, ist wichtig» | Luzerner Zeitung

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Really good catch! According to this interview with him he won't be returning home until the "Summer of 2019 after the season is over" so I'm going to say yeah he's definitely going to be in Hershey or South Carolina this year. Super glad to hear that actually. I had figured they would give him the 2 1/2 years development in the NLA like they gave Seigenthaler.

«Bescheiden bleiben, ist wichtig» | Luzerner Zeitung

Cool, glad to hear it!

Also, same question about Sebastian Walfridsson, will he come over to the AHL his year? He’s also in his draft+2 season and played against men in Allsvenskan last year.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Geisser would add to an already crowded LD blueline in Hershey with Ness, Lucas Johansen, and Jonas Siegenthaler getting the majority of the playing time and Bindulis on the outside looking in. Would Washington potentially want both Geisser and Bindulis to start the year in South Carolina? To me, I think it would be beneficial for Geisser to spend the year back in Europe and come over next season when one or both of Lucas Johansen or Jonas Siegenthaler are pushing to make the Capitals roster.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bourque officially announces his Hershey departure. Probably goes back to Providence. It makes too much sense given they lost both Czarnik and Agostino this offseason

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad