Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Pinho could easily step in as the 4C if his defensive abilities are as good as the scouting reports indicate. If not, he's pretty much guaranteed to be on the top 2 lines in Hershey next year barring any kind of FA AHL signing. I don't see why he would pass up that opportunity and join another organization to get the Thomas DiPauli treatment.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The usual high quality article from that publication, when it comes to the Caps at least. Galiev is listed as one of their top prospects and Djoos isn’t even mentioned.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Finally got to catch another Bears game for the first time in weeks. Bowey was easily their best D tonight and arguably their best player. He made some sick saucer passes out of the D zone that set up a breakaway and a few odd man rushes. In the offensive zone he dictated possession and made some great plays to set up high quality scoring chances. He finally looked like the player we heard about when he was coming out of juniors.

The other notable was Bindulis. Wow has he gotten a lot better after spending time in SC. His D zone play was great and he made a few plays to bail out Connor Hobbs when Hobbs made some bad turnovers.

Siegenthaler was a negative for me tonight. He panics when he has the puck, especially in the offensive zone. He’s a great defensive defenseman but he really needs his offensive game developed. His decision making is too slow which results in a lot of bad passess out of the D zone.

Hobbs looked better as the game went on. Started off really slow but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt since he just returned after being out injured last game. He blocked a shot with his face the game before. Hobbs has a great slap shot but his skating and D zone play needs work.

LuJo looked bad the first two periods while playing on his off side. Hershey was without Lewington and Williams tonight so Mann had LuJo at RD. You could tell he was uncomfortable. He played LD in the third and looked a lot better, especially when paired with Bowey. Johansen is smart and quick with his decision making and has rarely turned the puck over lately when I’ve watched him.

Not a whole lot prospect wise at forward tonight. Barber, Walker and Graovac were hurt. Boyd was typical Boyd being a playmaker. You could tell he was avoiding contact as much as possible. Probably due to his recall after the weekend. Bau had two goals tonight. He looked good after being out injured for an extended period of time

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carlson-Niskanen-Bowey could be maining the right side for next 5 or more years. Easily.

Thanks for the write up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Can he finish the year w/ Hershey without burning a year? Can't see any way he gets games with Washington this late in the season.
He can sign an ATO with them for the remainder of their season (only four games left after tonight, though). I'd think if there was any chance they were going to rush him to DC it would have happened already. Beagle's injury could have accelerated things a bit but it seems like they're more than comfortable with Stephenson at center if need be.

I could see him as a black ace since he'd be more of a defensive-minded 4C option compared to Boyd but it's hard to say just how ready he'd be.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
It's been a bad and low tempo game so far which is weird since these are two teams who usually play a fast high intensity game.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This is more of a post directed to the Hershey posters that lurk around from time to time. I've heard a lot more rumblings recently regarding the team, Mann and Chris Bourque so I'll just post what I've heard. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, it just what I've heard through social media and talking to long time fans in the arena.

-Conflicting reports on Mann. Some say he wasn't given a chance this year with the team he's had and that he's gotten teams in the past to overachieve compared to the talent they had on paper. I've also heard a few rumblings that Mann could get the ax at the end of the year after an abysmal season.

-Regarding Bourque. He has a mutual option with the team for next season on an AHL deal. Rumblings I've heard include:
  • He wasn't pleased with the direction the team went this season and how they approached FA last offseason
  • He will be moving on to another organization next season, possibly in NE to be closer to where he grew up
  • There's friction between him and Troy Mann that boiled over this season
-I've heard that the team's abysmal offseason is attributed to the fact that there was an internal budget strapped onto them that was lower than usual. Not sure if this was a HERCO thing or a Caps related budget. That hindered their ability to attack top-tier AHL UFAs this offseason to help bring back some scoring so they brought back "fan favorites" like Garrett Mitchell and Dustin Gazely to help with marketing purposes.

Again, take these with a grain of salt because these types of rumblings come out when a team has a terrible season. I know the AHL has changed a lot since the days of signing the Aucoin's and Giroux's every year but Hershey/Washington need to surround their young talent with the right veterans that will help the team succeed. I for one hope they clean house on most of the guys who have been around the team the past few seasons and bring in some fresh faces. You wonder if the locker room has started to get stale with the majority of the same faces and same staff for the past few seasons.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
This is more of a post directed to the Hershey posters that lurk around from time to time. I've heard a lot more rumblings recently regarding the team, Mann and Chris Bourque so I'll just post what I've heard. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, it just what I've heard through social media and talking to long time fans in the arena.

-Conflicting reports on Mann. Some say he wasn't given a chance this year with the team he's had and that he's gotten teams in the past to overachieve compared to the talent they had on paper. I've also heard a few rumblings that Mann could get the ax at the end of the year after an abysmal season.

-Regarding Bourque. He has a mutual option with the team for next season on an AHL deal. Rumblings I've heard include:
  • He wasn't pleased with the direction the team went this season and how they approached FA last offseason
  • He will be moving on to another organization next season, possibly in NE to be closer to where he grew up
-I've heard that the team's abysmal offseason is attributed to the fact that there was an internal budget strapped onto them that was lower than usual. Not sure if this was a HERCO thing or a Caps related budget. That hindered their ability to attack top-tier AHL UFAs this offseason to help bring back some scoring so they brought back "fan favorites" like Garrett Mitchell and Dustin Gazely to help with marketing purposes.

Again, take these with a grain of salt because these types of rumblings come out when a team has a terrible season. I know the AHL has changed a lot since the days of signing the Aucoin's and Giroux's every year but Hershey/Washington need to surround their young talent with the right veterans that will help the team succeed. I for one hope they clean house on most of the guys who have been around the team the past few seasons and bring in some fresh faces. You wonder if the locker room has started to get stale with the majority of the same faces and same staff for the past few seasons.
Orpik - player/coach for Hershey next season?:sarcasm:

zola4321

Apr 5, 2018

Heard similar talk on all points, low morale, lower budget etc. Bourque didn't look like he was trying in the games I watched, but neither was the rest of the team.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Heard similar talk on all points, low morale, lower budget etc. Bourque didn't look like he was trying in the games I watched, but neither was the rest of the team.
It will really suck if the greatest AHL player of this generation and the best long time Hershey Bear in a long time walks away because HERCO cant fork over extra money to ice a good hockey team.

It will be interesting to see attendance numbers when they come in. The attendance seems to be down this year IMO and I think some nights they pad how many people are in the arena.

Only positive thing this year has been the growth of some of the young guys and the thought of how much better they will be next season (hopefully)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You'd think even if Hershey was constrained financially there would have been a better plan formulated between Hershey and Washington in replacing Vrana, Galiev, Thomas & Carey. Hershey is bound to get a number of rookie forwards next season--Pinho, Pilon and Malenstyn at the very least--but there needs to be a much more realistic strategy employed this off-season. I wouldn't mind if they moved on from Mann. He's an adequate match for Trotz in some ways but some fresh blood and more of an emphasis on up-tempo play may be warranted.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You'd think even if Hershey was constrained financially there would have been a better plan formulated between Hershey and Washington in replacing Vrana, Galiev, Thomas & Carey. Hershey is bound to get a number of rookie forwards next season--Pinho, Pilon and Malenstyn at the very least--but there needs to be a much more realistic strategy employed this off-season. I wouldn't mind if they moved on from Mann. He's an adequate match for Trotz in some ways but some fresh blood and more of an emphasis on up-tempo play may be warranted.
I agree. I wonder if Helmer’s later hiring factored into their planning. It was his first offseason so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

They better have some sort of plan or the fans will explode. The arena has progressively gotten more hostile as the season has gone on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad