Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
With the draft Friday/Saturday, this first post will be updated/modified to include the newly drafted prospects, but thought it was time for a new prospect thread. Continue to use the draft thread for discussion and the draft, but getting the prospect thread ready for the 2014-15 season.

weagleprospectsf.png

Draft Picks / Prospects with links to hockeydb or eliteprospects profiles

(Ages as of June 2014)

Player|Pos.|Age|League|Notes
Barber, Riley |RW|20|NCAA Miami | rights until August 15, 2016; 12 draft
Bowey, Madison |D|19|WHL Kelowna| ELC announced 4/2/14; 13 draft, contract will slide if does not play in 10 NHL games in '14-15
Boyd, Travis |C|20|NCAA UMinn | rights until August 15, 2015; 11 draft
Di Pauli, Thomas |C/LW|20|NCAA Notre Dame|rights until August 15, 2016; 12 draft
Djoos, Christian |D|19|SHL Brynas| ELC signed; 12 draft
Elgestal, Kevin |W|18|SHL Frolunda/J20|rights until June 1, 2018; 14 draft
Gersich, Shane |W|17|USHL Omaha|rights until August 15, 2018+; 14 draft
Haar, Garrett |D|20|AHL Hershey|rights until June 1 (confirming 6/1,) 2015; 11 draft; signed AHL Hershey contract for '14-15
Heinrich, Blake |D|19|WHL Portland|rights until confirming date in 2018; 13 draft

Kostenko, Sergei |G|21|?|rights held indefinitely due to lack of transfer agreement; 12 draft

Koudys, Patrick |D|21|NCAA Penn St.|rights until August 15, 2015?; 11 draft; transferred RPI to Penn St.; year between played in USHL
Lewington, Tyler |D|19|WHL Medicine Hat|rights until June 1, 2015; 13 draft
Pinho, Brian |C|19|NCAA Providence|rights until August 15, 2018; 13 draft
Sanford, Zach |C|19|NCAA Boston College|rights until August 15, 2018; 13 draft
Spinner, Steven |W|18|USHL Omaha|rights until August 15, 2018+; 14 draft
Vanecek, Vitek |G|18|Cz Bili Tygri Liberec U20|rights until June 1, 2018 - ELC announced July 2014; 14 draft; contract will slide if does not play in 10 NHL games in '14-15
Vrana, Jakub |W|18|SHL LinkopingsHC|rights until June 1, 2018 - ELC announced July 2014; 14 draft; contract will slide if does not play in 10 NHL games in '14-15
Walker, Nathan |W|20|AHL Hershey|rights until June 1, 2016; 14 draft; ELC announced 7/25/14
Wuthrich, Austin |RW|20|NCAA Notre Dame|rights until August 15, 2015; 12 draft

- Only listed prospects signed to ELC if as of now there is a good chance they will not be playing pro hockey in NA in the '14-15 season. Herbert and Stephenson are signed to ELCs and are expected to play in the Capitals organization so they are no longer listed.

- Washington Capitals draft history hockeydb

- The rules regarding rights retention were modified with the new/2013 CBA. For European draft picks, teams will now have 4 years, not 2 years as had been the case with the 2005 CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Capitals Prospects & the 2015 WJC

Players born in 1995 and later are eligible for the 2015 WJC to played in Toronto and Montreal.

Canada: Madison Bowey (95) (on Canada's August evaluation camp roster)

Czech Republic:
Vitek Vanecek (96)
Jakub Vrana (96)
Czech Republic preliminary roster information for summer evaluation camps

Sweden: Andre Burakovsky (95)(on Sweden's August evaluation camp roster)
SWE info

USA: (USA's August evaluation camp roster)

Summer Evaluation Camp Schedules

Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden scrimmage schedule in Quebec August 4-9

USA, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic scrimmage schedule in Lake Placid, NY August 2-9

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Some off-season coverage (and some spring articles) of Capitals prospects to catch up on the prospects in advance of development camp in July:

Riley Barber announced he is returning to Miami for junior season April article

Madison Bowey signs his ELC in April Kelowna Capital article

Andre Burakovsky article (in Swedish in May) about OHL season and shoulder injury

Christian Djoos Q&A on Brynas site (in Swedish) from May about signing, etc.

Garrett Haar signs with Hershey Leone article

Blake Heinrich joined WHL Portland near end of '14 playoffs article

Patrick Koudys, named Penn State Captain for 14-15 and more

Tyler Lewington, article from March

Brian Pinho on USHL championship and more

Zach Sanford article from May

Chandler Stephenson June article & video

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Updated the first post last night with the new picks, let me know if there are any link issues or typos/mistakes. Expect to be removing Stefishen from the list soon. Will update 14-15 team information as it becomes available but this is based on what is known as of now.

I also added some information to the WJC camp information.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2555
More on Koudys as a captain in Penn State. What I found interesting:
“The Capitals still have very high hopes for me in their prospect system, and I am going to continue my development as a player and show them that I can one day be an impact player at the next level, but I am not there yet. I just have to keep getting better and hope for the best.”

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Marshall, Thanks for the positive feedback; I know it is helpful for me, too, as a reference during the season, but nice to know it is still worth sharing each year. I will add links to prospect's team bio and stats once the season starts get closer.

Some other general useful links helpful to have near the front of this thread

USCHO site

College Hockey, Inc.

Chris Peters' UnitedStatesofhockey blog

USHL site

Elite Prospects site

Czech Hockey site

Swedish Hockey League SHL site

Conference info for NCAA teams above:
Big Ten: includes Minnesota, Penn State
Hockey East: includes Boston College, Notre Dame, Providence
NCHC: includes Miami (and Nebraska-Omaha (Spinner '15-16), North Dakota (Gersich '15-16))

CHL:
Ontario Hockey League (OHL)
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL)
Western Hockey League (WHL)

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
As was reported by others on twitter and in the Sweden thread, Burakovsky no longer listed on the roster for the eval camp in Lake Placid. Given previous rosters, could be as simple as deciding not to bring him because it's an eval camp and his experience.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
When do you guys think Burakovsky and Barber will be on the Caps?

Bura is the interesting one if they decide convert him to center for realz have to imagine he'll be in Hershey to work on that. If a winger then he'll get some time probably this next season at some point.

Barber is back in the Div1 hockey this season. I would think he would go pro after his season is over and be at hershey at the end of this next season...maybe a season at Hershey for 2015-2016.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When do you guys think Burakovsky and Barber will be on the Caps?

Burakovsky might get a cup of coffee this season, depending on how he's performing in Hershey. Will seriously challenge next season.

Barber will hopefully leap to the AHL after Miami's season is over (assuming Hershey is playing longer than Miami). At least one more year of AHL development is likely ahead of him after that, given the Caps' depth on the wings.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
nhl.com lists Burakovsky at #1, ahead of Kuznetsov, on the Caps' top 10 prospects list. Garrett Haar makes a strange appearance at #8 on the list.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
3 - 1 after 2. Initially, the third goal looked like one that should have been stopped but it deflected off a dman's toe at the last second.

Czech's being out shot 32 - 12

Vrana now getting credit for the Czech goal

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
that was a softie, 6 - 2 Canada

(waiting for posts blasting GMBM for trading up for a certain dman)

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

For anyone interested, the video archive of the scrimmage is available via this same link, as well as the boxscore, etc.

Interesting to see this note that the Otters are expecting Burakovsky to participate in the start of training camp, which opens 8/26. Curious if that was before the latest shoulder injury news that the reporter was told this information.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
was looking though the thread from the Canada-Russia Scrimmage and it seems as though a lot of people didnt think Bowey was that great...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bowey's not polished enough overall to impress from a decision-making standpoint. He's skilled, he's a strong skater but against high level competition he's a bit shaky. He did score and likely saved a goal on the goal line in the third period but it's the more subtle areas of the game he needs to improve. The announcers compared him to Green and it's not all that far off fundamentally. He still plays a junior style game and isn't as far along overall as Carrick a year ago. He's got some nice tools if he puts it all together in time but the toolbox continues to be a bit suspect. He still may have a good chance of making the WJC team due to his offense/handedness and gaining comfort in that sort of stage would be a good challenge for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad