Confirmed with Link: Capitals name Todd Reirden head coach

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't know how much Trotz affected the compete level -- I thought that in playoffs the Caps had always played hard... but dumb. That was the primary problem at the time.

IMO Trotz's main contribution was structure/details, which were desperately needed. And secondly, I'd say it was his cultivation of the overall "professional family" atmosphere, which helped them stay afloat, as a group, through the bad times.

I expect Reirden is gonna be better. Perfectly positioned to carry over all the things that worked well, but with fresh ideas and more energy (simply due to the age factor, for one). There should also be much better synergy between him and BMac -- who I think clearly understands the need to get the most out of young players on a capped out team, and wouldn't have hired Reirden if they weren't on the same page.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I don't know how much Trotz affected the compete level -- I thought that in playoffs the Caps had always played hard... but dumb. That was the primary problem at the time.

IMO Trotz's main contribution was structure/details, which were desperately needed. And secondly, I'd say it was his cultivation of the overall "professional family" atmosphere, which helped them stay afloat, as a group, through the bad times.

I expect Reirden is gonna be better. Perfectly positioned to carry over all the things that worked well, but with fresh ideas and more energy (simply due to the age factor, for one). There should also be much better synergy between him and BMac -- who I think clearly understands the need to get the most out of young players on a capped out team, and wouldn't have hired Reirden if they weren't on the same page.

I was under the impression that Trotz was famous for his emphasis on winning individual battles.

Anyways.

I look forward to seeing Reirden's impact on Vrana and Burakovsky. Both are due to break out.

Sep 19, 2008
Was able to record the press conference that was aired on NBCS Washington yesterday afternoon and am watching it now. Praises Trotz a lot and thanks him for giving him this opportunity. Been influenced by other great coaches too like Joel Quenneville so should be interesting. The broadcast does point out that there are some questions about his future such as how he will handle being the spotlight instead of being that assistant in the background.

Only 2nd American-born HC in Caps history. :nod:

Sound very motivated and not complacent regarding repeating. At least from what he is saying. Making a point about continuity.

The end has video of Reirden coaching the team for a while when Barry was out for the World Cup of Hockey a few years ago. He likes to curse a lot lol

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure why last year against Pittsburgh matters. I mean, maybe it affected the series and maybe it didn't.

Orpik was a rock this year, the Caps won the Cup, meanwhile Alzner flatlined in Montreal.

All I want to see from Reirden is the ability to maintain the Caps' compete level, which was Trotz's greatest contribution to the squad.

That and what kind of shape does Ovy show up to camp in....Trotz had to go to Russia last summer!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
That and what kind of shape does Ovy show up to camp in....Trotz had to go to Russia last summer!

This one, after all the celebration beer and vodka.

OVFat.jpg

Reactions: searle

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The interview with Vogs put me to sleep last night, while just laying on the bed for a second. Not sure if good or bad, but dude is a talker/communicator.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was under the impression that Trotz was famous for his emphasis on winning individual battles.

Anyways.

I look forward to seeing Reirden's impact on Vrana and Burakovsky. Both are due to break out.

well, we do have the now acknowledged by Niskanen that Trotz told they the reason they lost the Penguins they lets little guys like Sheary beat them in battles for the puck.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Is the general consensus here that we let Trotz go because we believe Reirden to be the better coach moving forward?
It's a ballsy play, but that seems to be what GMBM is hanging his hat on.

Am I reading it wrong?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is the general consensus here that we let Trotz go because we believe Reirden to be the better coach moving forward?
It's a ballsy play, but that seems to be what GMBM is hanging his hat on.

Am I reading it wrong?

There has been talk for a while that they have been grooming TR for the position for a while and that's why they wouldn't let other teams talk to him in the past. There's also speculation that TR was really calling the shots with BT as a figurehead cheerleader for some portion of the season and/or the playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There have typically been five with four behind the bench more recently. It's certainly possible that Forsythe is promoted into the Lambert/Evason type role but ideally I think you'd like to have a little more NHL experience on the staff.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Don’t get me wrong I’m rooting for the guy, and see a lot of potential in him. I just won’t be all that surprised if next season we see guys like Vrana and Burky get scratched, Djoos or Bowery get benched for a TDL rental, or vet players get inexplicably high ice-time. Nothing so far suggests Todd’s philosophy is wildly different than many of the decisions that the coaching staff have taken in recent years, for better or worse.

Exactly why I didn't want Orpik back. :(

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
There have typically been five with four behind the bench more recently. It's certainly possible that Forsythe is promoted into the Lambert/Evason type role but ideally I think you'd like to have a little more NHL experience on the staff.

Yeah, I've been expecting one more, someone who's been around the league for a while. Not sure though. Maybe it's just because I miss Lambert. :wg:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad